• Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

MOBO: Z68 Extreme4 P1.20 Bios
    CPU: i5 2500K @ No OC, stock cooler
    MEM: 8GB Gskill 2x4GB
    GPU: Onboard
    HD: 4 WD 2TB
    PSU: Cougar 700watt

Having BSOD today with my one day old pc
    " A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"
    while watching a movie in kmplayer applicaton

after that i updated my windows which have plenty of bug fix update, and its been 8 hour with no bsod, hopefully it wont bsod again

anyway i did however have the wake from sleep issue, with the default windows 30 minutes sleep, and after the pc goes to sleep
    it wont turn on by moving the mouse/pressing the keyboard and pressing the power button, i press reset after that >_>

gonna try to do bios update to 1.40 tomorrow but i doubt it will fix it since the changelog doesn't mention about sleep issue
    i also worried about the temperature.

my question is

1. does anyone having the same bsod problem? and anybody know what it means? i googled it some say it cpu problem/motherboard problem
    2. My case have Esata front connector, do i need to connect it to sata3 port or its alright to connect it to sata2 port?, because right now its not working, the back esata do work though.
    3. Is it normal to have an idle temperature cpu 42C and mb 38c? the room temperature does a bit hot though (No oc)
    tried to run prime95 for 5 minutes and the cpu temp reach 68C, i was also reapply the heatsink to make sure it correctly applied (the sound click and the black plastic goes through behind the motherboard)
    but its still have the same temp.
    4. is it normal when in the uefi bios the temp keep higher and higher?
    5. The boot time also seem slow compared to my old phenom II x2 555be
    6. Did anyone notice the misspelled word in the uefi bios? "Oborad HDMI Audio" :)

thank you for your help :)

--------- Update 7 July 2011-------------

so here is the summary based on MY test:

Fixed the BSOD/Freeze issue:

1. Moved my main drive from SATA3 port (intel) to SATA II port (intel), this fixed my bsod problem but introduce the freezing problem.
    2. Increase the vcore voltage manually to 1.190, this fixed the freezing problem
    3. Install an vga card and all uefi setting as default except the ahci (vcore voltage to auto) this seem fixed my freezing problem (only tested for 10 hours, will test it for couple days)

Tried and not fixed the BSOD/Freeze issue:

1. Increasing the IGPU voltage to +50ma
    2. Changed the dram voltage to what's printed on the ram spec.
    3. Reinstalling the windows
    4. Move the ram to another slot
    5. Replacing the processor
    6. Updating from 1.20 Uefi to 1.40 and to 1.50

So if you have the bsod or freezing problem, try the solution one by one.
    this one was solved thanks to the people that reply here, and zero support by asrock (either email or the representative here)
    Last edited by Da_Man; 07-12-2011, 12:10 AM.

Re: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

People who had the same bsod problem in asrock z68 extreme 4 in this thread only

Updated 03 September 2011

Total 31 People

Originally posted by z68ex4 View Post
    Originally posted by shkup View Post
    Originally posted by Ydinsieni View Post
    Originally posted by tech210 View Post
    Originally posted by tomek.sergey View Post
    Originally posted by dolpli View Post
    Originally posted by Drakoniae View Post
    Originally posted by Alertme View Post
    Originally posted by dasi View Post
    Originally posted by brukster View Post
    Originally posted by inevu View Post
    Originally posted by Les@TheSSDReview View Post
    Originally posted by bela41 View Post
    Originally posted by Lukian View Post
    Originally posted by Brother View Post
    Originally posted by Biznitch View Post
    Originally posted by Photoman View Post
    Originally posted by mercurytoxic View Post
    Originally posted by conejin90 View Post
    Originally posted by Moggy View Post
    Originally posted by ugene View Post
    Originally posted by Namrur View Post
    Originally posted by afrojavi View Post
    Originally posted by h8asus View Post
    Originally posted by engf View Post
    Originally posted by langthang View Post
    Originally posted by rewind View Post
    Originally posted by pwil View Post
    Originally posted by jubb42 View Post
    Originally posted by Lauri View Post

Reply from asrock representative

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    Dear all,

If you get the BSOD which means Vcore is too low, please kindly adjust "CPU Load-Line Calibration" to [Level 1] under BIOS for testing.
    ( BIOS/ OC Tweaker/ CPU Load-Line Calibration )

If any problem, please kindly let me know.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Dear Ydinsieni,

You can see the diagram on the right side of "CPU Load-Line Calibration option".

CPU Load-Line Calibration default setting is [Level 5], Vcore will decrease more when CPU loading increase more that will help system saving power.
    For system stablity, we suggest you adjust "Level 1" to try.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Dear all,

Thanks for your information.

Please kindly set "iGPU voltage" fixed at 1.25V to try again to check whether the symptom still occur.

Many thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Dear Dasi,

If you don't overclock, you can set CPU Load-Line Calibration to [Level 5].

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Dear all,

We received some users feedback similar problem.

As far as we know, this problem is caused by Sandy Bridge' s CPU and memory module collocation.

We recommend you can contact your memory module manufacturer for help or change other memory to try.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Dear all,

Due to the memory manufacturer test Sandy Bridge CPU with the old memroy chip before, it maybe cause the compability issue.

As far as we know, the memory manufacturer have made new memory chip for Sandy Bridge.
    So you can contact your memory manufacturer for assistance.

On the other hand, according to the reply from users about this issue, you can fixed CPU voltage to 1.19V or adjust CPU voltage to offset +0.07 for testing.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your help.

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Originally posted by mercurytoxic View Post
    I received the following response from ASRock tech support via email:

Subject RE: $Z68 Extreme4$ BSOD A clock interrupt was not received
    Sender Asrock TSD
    Recipient obscured email address
    Date Today 12:38

Dear Sir,

Thanks for contacting ASRock.

Please kindly set CPU voltage to [Fixed mode, 1.190V] or [Offset mode, +0.07V] for testing.

Thanks for your e-mail.

Best Regards,

ASRock TSD

Sent: 2011/8/2 [星期二] 上午 10:37
    To: Asrock TSD
    Subject: FW: $Z68 Extreme4$ BSOD A clock interrupt was not received

For me this is not working at all, the only thing that has worked so far has been disabling the IGP and using a discreet card and since one of the marketing features of Z68 is the ability to actually use the IGP, all this is very disappointing. This is my first ASRock product, and I bought it while not listening to friends telling me "ASRock sucks". Seems ASRock is not taking this seriously and just relying on the forum responses for their technical support. I am seriously considering returning this MB at this point. As copystuff said Asus P8Z68-V seems like a good alternative around the same price, has two SATA ports less, no USB 3.0 front panel but integrated bluetooth.
    Originally posted by pwil View Post
    Hi,

Same sad history since day 1 with z68-extreme-4. After contacting support I was oriented to check memory with MEMTEST86 and update bios to 1.6 beta. It not worked. I replied to support and got the following answer:

"
    After you have update the BIOs with Beta version and still have some blue screen problems ,please contact your vendor and return it.

ASRock America Support
    "

For sure I will return BUT get another mobo from another vendor. Very, very poor after-sales service from ASRock.
    Last edited by Da_Man; 09-02-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

What voltage is it using for the onboard graphic chip? Take a look and click one it two clicks more than the voltage shown in auto,seeing it crashes when watching videos points to onboard gpu,manually set you dram voltage according to what's printed on your memory,either 1.5v or 1.66v
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

here is my voltage setting, all in the uefi set as auto except for the sata disk, i changed it to ahci instead of ide

Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	751430

anyway when using prime95 15 minutes (cpu temp reach 68celcius) and i shutdown my pc, when i touch the heatsink with the word v8, that's on the motherboard, i barely can touch it, as it very hot ( can only touch 1-2 sec)
        but the cpu heatsink doesn't feel warm at all.

okay i will try to change the igp voltage and dram, thanks

EDIT: changed the dram to 1.500 from 1.519, and for the onboard vga do you mean the IGPU Voltage? right now it set as auto in 0mv, do i need to change it to -50 mv?

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        What voltage is it using for the onboard graphic chip? Take a look and click one it two clicks more than the voltage shown in auto,seeing it crashes when watching videos points to onboard gpu,manually set you dram voltage according to what's printed on your memory,either 1.5v or 1.66v
        Last edited by Da_Man; 06-16-2011, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Please understand my writing.. I don't speak English well.

I have same problem. ( 0x00000101, A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval )

I'm using my system 24 hours a day. and always same BSOD and random freezing , 2 or 3 times a day. now it's been 3 weeks.

I only changed CPU, mobo from my old systems.

MOBO: Z68 Extreme 4
          CPU: i5 2500K @ No O.C.
          GPU: Onboard
          MEM: many kinds
          HDD: many kinds
          PSU: many kinds

BIOS: all default
          --only changed--
          sata : IDE -> AHCI
          primary graphic : pcie -> onboard

possible solutions already tested
          - bios update ( 1.1, 1.3, 1.34, 1.4)
          - all drivers update (infinst_autol, management engine, intel vga ~15.22.3.64.2401, RapidStorage, sound, lan.....)
          - windows update ( ~06.17.2011)
          - formatted and re-installed win7 more then 20 times
          - tried different hard disk ( different port sata3(0,1) sata2(2,3,4,5) )
          - tried different kind of ram, diffrent slot ( only 1 ram in 1, 2, 3, 4) ( 2 rams in 1 3, 2 4) ( 4 rams in 1 2 3 4)
          - tried 3 different PSU
          - memtest all ram module used
          - checked all hard disk used
          - dvi, d-sub, hdmi

*** I bought two z68 extream 4, same BSOD, so I thought CPU was the problem. ***

but Da_Man, samsung102, and I have same BSOD on same MOBO.. in general CPU doesn't usually get out of order.

<<"samsung102" has similar problem. http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...interrupt.html >>

shall we just wait for new bios? some one please help~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

00000101 error is not enough CPU voltage error,try adding one or two clicks more and re test,

@Da_man,try with igpu voltage offset at +50mv or +100mv if unstable and retest
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

thanks done changing the igpu voltage to +50mv
              will test it but since i cant replicate the bsod so a bit hard to test :)

anyway before i change the igpu voltage i already test with the following program :

1. intel processor diagnostic tool -> success no bsod
              2. prime95 blend test ran it for 1 hour -> success no bsod
              3. memtest86+ ran it for 1 pass -> success no memory error

regarding the not enough cpu voltage since i all set it as auto (no oc), could you tell me which setting responsible for lowering the core speed,
              cos when i see in asrock axtu (extreme tuning utility) when the computer is idle its lowering the core speed to 1,9GHz and it reduce the vcore voltage below 1.000 (0.967),

is it the intel speedstep or c-states? is it okay to disable it?

thanks again

00000101 error is not enough CPU voltage error,try adding one or two clicks more and re test,

@Da_man,try with igpu voltage offset at +50mv or +100mv if unstable and retest

Comment

Is there a normal voltage setting for CPU? If there is set it to that and apply +0.0100v in CPU dvid,your BIOS might be different to gigabytes but doing that won't let you CPU voltage drop so much at idle,you can disable c1e and eist if you want but it should be stable with them turned on
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

there is no normal voltage setting, only manual and auto >_>

anyway after your suggestion to increase the igpu voltage to +50ma
                  yesterday i also reorganize my wire (wire management) including moving my boot drive (WD) to sata II port 2 (before it was in sata III port 0)
                  and now no more bsod (well at least none today),

tomorrow i will try to reset the igpu voltage to auto (+0), so i can confirm is it the drive port or the igpu voltage that make no bsod :)

thanks for your help and i will report more later :)

Is there a normal voltage setting for CPU? If there is set it to that and apply +0.0100v in CPU dvid,your BIOS might be different to gigabytes but doing that won't let you CPU voltage drop so much at idle,you can disable c1e and eist if you want but it should be stable with them turned on

Comment

See how it goes,its best to use Intel sata2 and sata3 ports,the others won't be as reliable
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

i guess i spoke too soon, when i reduce the igpu to +0 couple hours later my computer freeze,
                      cant move my cursor, cant use the keyboard. but no bsod

after that i put back the igpu to +50 and couple hours later the same freeze occur
                      and the third freeze one hours ago.

strange thing is every time the windows freeze, the reset button on the case is not working,
                      so i had to press the power button for couple of sec but i test the reset button and its working fine.

also yesterday when i sleep i left my computer on, but when i wake up the computer is turned off,
                      thats strange because i check the power options before i sleep, and i set it to never make the computer sleep.

any more idea guys? cos im officially out of ideas,

i really want to rma the motherboard and the processor, but because the freeze is random i'm afraid they will just send it back without fixing anything >_>

Comment

Try loading optimized defaults in the BIOS,remember this will reset all BIOS settings,then enter any biis settings you had,manually set dram voltage to what's printed on your ram,then try with c1e and eist disabled and see if it still freezes,if it does then re enable them and try a manual qpi/vtt voltage of 1.080v and see if it freezes then
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

0x00000101
                          0x101
                          a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval
                          CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)

all same error.

Do not rma the motherboard. I think it won't work.

as I told you, I bought two z68 extream 4, same BSOD, my minidump is same as samsung102's minidump.

It's been 3 weeks. I did everything.

I tried different mouse and keyboard yesterday. didn't work. same BSOD.

formatted and re-installed Windows 7 U 64bit SP1 with NO drivers. didn't work. same BSOD.

The only thing I didn't try was NEW CPU.

Have you seen faulty cpu without OC??

I think something is wrong with ex4 settings or bios.

*** new friends here.

1 My first Blue Screen death on the new rig - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

2 ASROCK Z68 Extreme 4

Last edited by z68ex4; 06-18-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

my board uefi doesn't have load optimized defaults, all it have is the load defaults, and i already try that when i update the bios to 1.40, done manually set the dram voltage,
                            and couple mins ago same freeze (not bsod), right now i trying by increasing the vcore voltage to 1.180 (the multiplier set as auto), if its still have the freeze issue gonne try your suggestion by disabling c1e and eist

thanks again for your help :)

Try loading optimized defaults in the BIOS,remember this will reset all BIOS settings,then enter any biis settings you had,manually set dram voltage to what's printed on your ram,then try with c1e and eist disabled and see if it still freezes,if it does then re enable them and try a manual qpi/vtt voltage of 1.080v and see if it freezes then
                            yeah if you google asrock z68 bsod there are plenty more >_>
                            strangely i dont get the bsod again after moving my wd drive to sata II port 2 instead of the sata III port 0
                            but right now i get another issue which the freezing problem

about the bsod some said its was definitely faulty processor, some no more bsod by moving the ram slot (tried this and still freeze),
                            and from the first link you post it said a week without bsod when he increase the voltage to 1.200 (no oc), and the last reply said it was his power supply
                            so im gonna try one by one to see which one is the culprit cos these three days i haven't really enjoy this new built >_>

but if indeed the voltage was the problem, does it mean the processor or the motherboard fault? seem asrock need to investigate this,
                            cos it seem weird to increase the voltage when you doesn't overclock

anyway while searching the bsod i found the newest etron usb3 driver v 1.0.0.101
                            if you want to dl here
                            etron_usb3.exe
                            just run the exe (choose which to extract and run the setup.exe)
                            or you could also just extract the exe using winrar and run the setup.exe

Originally posted by z68ex4 View Post
                            0x00000101
                            0x101
                            a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval
                            CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)

all same error.

Do not rma the motherboard. I think it won't work.

as I told you, I bought two z68 extream 4, same BSOD, my minidump is same as samsung102's minidump.

It's been 3 weeks. I did everything.

I tried different mouse and keyboard yesterday. didn't work. same BSOD.

formatted and re-installed Windows 7 U 64bit SP1 with NO drivers. didn't work. same BSOD.

The only thing I didn't try was NEW CPU.

Have you seen faulty cpu without OC??

I think something is wrong with ex4 settings or bios.

*** new friends here.

1 My first Blue Screen death on the new rig - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

2 ASROCK Z68 Extreme 4

Comment

some more info:

1. Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Bsod - Overclockers UK Forums

2. EggXpert - Random BSOD

3. My first Blue Screen death on the new rig - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

4. Help with BSOD - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Comment

Working...
                              X