Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

I have Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9. This is a 4 X 4GB kit.
    Last edited by brukster; 07-29-2011, 04:58 PM. Reason: added memory config

Comment

I also have been getting BSOD "A clock interupt was not recieved...". I have the z68 extreme4 with an i7 2600k (using on chip graphics) 8gb Gskill ddr3 1600 ram (2 dimms stock voltage 1.6v), 2 Samsung F3R 1tb HDD in RAID array, windows 7 professional 64 bit. Am presently running @ 4.2 ghz using Asrock Optimized BIOS settings which include +0.035 offset voltage for vcore. Have updated BIOS to ver. 1.6, set Load-Line calibration to level 4. None of this has helped the BSOD problem. I also experieced BSOD running at stock clock speeds.

What I observed was presently, the BSOD seems to come when the system is idleing with 0 CPU usage. Not during regular use or running Intel Burn Test. If I let my system idle with 0 CPU usage it will freeze or blue screen within minutes. However, if "sidebar.exe" is running, which happens when you load "desktop gadgets" such as the "CPU Meter" my system is much more stable. With sidebar.exe running my CPU usage at idle fluctuates between about 5-12% and my vcore fluctuates between about 1.093-1.232v. Just running a desktop gadget seems to help keep the vcore voltage up improving stability. The downside is sidebar.exe does use some resources and the CPU will run hotter at idle than if there was 0 CPU usage. For all but the heaviest workloads this is not usually a problem.

I suggest some of you experiencing the BSOD problem try running a "Desktop Gadget" such as the "CPU Meter" and see if this helps improve things until Asrock figures out a real solution to this problem!

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
        Dear all,

We received some users feedback similar problem.

As far as we know, this problem is caused by Sandy Bridge' s CPU and memory module collocation.

We recommend you can contact your memory module manufacturer for help or change other memory to try.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
        ASRock TSD Emily
        From what I observe, the problem doesn't show up on extreme 4 user using discrete graphic card.
        Why is that so?

Comment

Definitely a poor response from AsRock, blanket blaming Intel and memory manufacturers when it's obvious from this thread having almost 12k views in one month, that there is wide variety of customers with this issue, which means tons of different memory modules and cpus. With this number of views, seems like a pretty big issue lots of customers from AsRock are dealing with.

In my case, intel i5 2500K and gSkill F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL both items in the AsRock supported lists for this motherboard. I get same random freezes or BSOD with clock interrupt was not received regardless of what I try. I am using the IGP.

Things I've tried so far:
          - raised memory voltage
          - raised vcore voltage
          - enabled/disabled pll
          - normal/overclocked the cpu
          - normal/overclocked the memory
          - normal/overclocked the IGP
          - Upgraded BIOS
          - loading the CPU @ 30% usage all the time

Next to try:
          - Running entirely off a discreet video card (26 hours later: so far it's been running off the discrete card entirely with the IGP disabled and hasn't BSODed)

All to no avail. I am considering returning this MB, before I make up my mind AsRock, please fix this problem.

Just sent an email to AsRock support ASRock > Support > Contact Technical Support I urge you to do the same if you haven't yet.

Also, on a maybe not a totally different note, has anyone got Lucid Virtu running properly? Mine doesn't switch between cards at all. When I try to run a game, even if it's on the supported list, it runs it off the IGP if that's what the monitor is plugged into.
          Last edited by mercurytoxic; 08-01-2011, 03:32 AM.

Comment

IS ANYONE RUNNING A DISCRETE VIDEO CARD EXPERIENCING THE BSOD OR FREEZING PROBLEM? Or any other peculiar problems you cannot explain using the Z68 Extreme4? Or are your systems running correctly without any issues? As a last resort I may add a discrete video card if that will solve the problem once and for all. But I do not wish to through good money after bad if there are still problems with this motherboard!

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

yes that's a bit strange, why do the voltage does not below 1.0 in the 4.0ghz oc,
              but i can't test these yet since i still using the stock cooler

Originally posted by woolball View Post
              I tried these:
              the offset voltage to +0.05 @4.2Ghz, with different loadings the voltage bounced from 0.9xx to 1.3xx, bsod
              the offset voltage to +0.07 @4.0Ghz, the voltage bounced from 1.0xxx to 1.31x, no bsod
              the offset voltage to +0.07 @4.2Ghz, the voltage bounced from 0.9xxx to 1.28x, no further test

dunno why the voltage @4.2Ghz is lower than 4.0Ghz with the same setting. That's why I choose to run @4.0Ghz.
              Ya, this mobo is a bit strange.

my ram rated at 1.5v but the mobo change it to 1.6, but both voltage still result in bsod in my test

Originally posted by Lukian View Post
              As a fair number of us are using 1.5v memory, how safe it is to bump this up (to 1.65v)?

And does it fix the problem in your own official testing?
              mine is using g.skill ddr 8gb, and its listed on the list of compatible memory on asrock site

Originally posted by dasi View Post
              So we all have faulty or incompatible memory, is that what you're saying?

. . .

I have 2 x 2GB Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9.

To all, if you're experiencing this problem please reply with the make and model of memory you have installed below. If you've tried different types of memory in your ASRock Z68 Extreme4 that would be interesting to know too.
              i also doubt it was the memory that having problem since many use different model and brand, but i haven't tried to change the ram, probably later i will borrow someone ram and test it on my system,
              i has sent them plenty of email and no reply whatsoever >_>

Originally posted by mercurytoxic View Post
              Definitely a poor response from AsRock, blanket blaming Intel and memory manufacturers when it's obvious from this thread having almost 12k views in one month, that there is wide variety of customers with this issue, which means tons of different memory modules and cpus. With this number of views, seems like a pretty big issue lots of customers from AsRock are dealing with.

Just sent an email to AsRock support ASRock > Support > Contact Technical Support I urge you to do the same if you haven't yet.

Also, on a maybe not a totally different note, has anyone got Lucid Virtu running properly? Mine doesn't switch between cards at all. When I try to run a game, even if it's on the supported list, it runs it off the IGP if that's what the monitor is plugged into.
              i tested mine using nvidia 9500gt for 3 days, no bsod but still have the freezing problem, try to borrow one of your friend vga and test it out yourself hopefully you have more luck :)
              but before that, have you try changing manually the voltage to 1.190? this one is the only thing that fixed my issue on my system

Originally posted by Photoman View Post
              IS ANYONE RUNNING A DISCRETE VIDEO CARD EXPERIENCING THE BSOD OR FREEZING PROBLEM? Or any other peculiar problems you cannot explain using the Z68 Extreme4? Or are your systems running correctly without any issues? As a last resort I may add a discrete video card if that will solve the problem once and for all. But I do not wish to through good money after bad if there are still problems with this motherboard!

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

I have tried 2 different sets of memory in my setup, the first being G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL 16GB (4x4GB) PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 Dual Channel RAM, which is on the compatible memory list for the Z68 Extreme4 motherboard.
                The second set I am currently using is Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance low profile RAM. I have had the exact same issues with both sets and I have also tried slightly increasing the memory voltage to 1.515v to see if that would help improve stability however it has had no effect.

Currently I have set my Vcore to a fixed value of 1.26v in BIOS as when in Windows the board undervolts this to around 1.2v. It does fluctuate between 1.2 and 1.24 however I thought it best to try and keep above 1.2v for the minimum level.
                So far it has been running for 19 hours with idle sessions in between with no lockup or BSOD. However it has made it through 2.5 days (60 hours) previously at default BIOS settings before locking up. If it makes it through an entire week then I will feel a little more confident in the system stability.
                However I think it is pretty clear it is definitely a motherboard issue and it seems to be more frequent when using discreet/integrated graphics of an i5 or i7 sandybridge chip. I don't think it is acceptable to have to fix your vcore especially with the power saving features of the sandybridge processors are so appealing.
                Either way I am still tempted to return this board and get an alternative replacement. The only thing that would dissuade me at the moment would be a definite BIOS fix via an update or at very least an admission from ASRock that there is an issue and they are furiously working to resolve it. I would also appreciate an admission from ASRock if they believe it is a hardware fault of the board that can only be fixed by a replacement or recall. This would go part way to restoring my faith in their brand.

Biznitch

Comment

Dear all,

Due to the memory manufacturer test Sandy Bridge CPU with the old memroy chip before, it maybe cause the compability issue.

As far as we know, the memory manufacturer have made new memory chip for Sandy Bridge.
                  So you can contact your memory manufacturer for assistance.

On the other hand, according to the reply from users about this issue, you can fixed CPU voltage to 1.19V or adjust CPU voltage to offset +0.07 for testing.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your help.

Have a nice day
                  ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

I don't understand ASRock's reply. I want to know if ASRock has any plans on fixing this or not? Fixing means updated BIOS or motherboard recall. I have no plans of using my new MB long term with a fixed CPU voltage, offset (none of those solutions really worked for me) or with IGP disabled.

Well, after 5 days running on the discreet gpu and with the IGP disabled, hasn't BSOD or frozen. I am also running the CPU OCed @ 4.4GHz and memory @ 2133 with 1.65volts in DRAM. All this I've tried before with the IGP enabled and kept getting the random BSODs. So far it seems it has something to do with the IGP (and not the memory) almost without a doubt.
                    Last edited by mercurytoxic; 08-07-2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

All this I've tried before with the IGP enabled and kept getting the random BSODs. So far it seems it has something to do with the IGP (and not the memory) almost without a doubt.
                      This is my suspicion too. I was always going to grab a dedicated gcard to go along with my setup however I was just going to wait a little longer. I will try and pick one up during the week, disable IGP and set everything else back to default and I will report back.

By the way I do not think that having to buy a dedicated graphics card is an acceptable solution at all and have been less than impressed by the pedestrian responses by ASRock tech support.

Biznitch

Comment

I don't understand ASRock's reply. I want to know if ASRock has any plans on fixing this or not? Fixing means updated BIOS or motherboard recall. I have no plans of using my new MB long term with a fixed CPU voltage, offset (none of those solutions really worked for me) or with IGP disabled.

Well, after 30 hours running on the discreet gpu and with the IGP disabled, hasn't BSOD or frozen. I am also running the CPU OCed @ 4.4GHz and memory @ 2133 with 1.65volts in DRAM. All this I've tried before with the IGP enabled and kept getting the random BSODs. So far it seems it has something to do with the IGP (and not the memory) almost without a doubt.
                        I sent my Asrock Z68 extreme 4 back because of the problem with the 2600k graphics giving me BSOD every day and went for the asus P8Z68-V and its been great with the graphics not even had to raise vcore at all i can leave energy saving on in the bios with out having to worry about Bsods any more.

You know guys im using exact same memory as i was when using the asrock board so it cant be blamed on memory.
                        Last edited by copystuff; 08-01-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by copystuff View Post
                          I sent my Asrock Z68 extreme 4 back because of the problem with the 2600k graphics giving me BSOD every day and went for the asus P8Z68-V and its been great with the graphics not even had to raise vcore at all i can leave energy saving on in the bios with out having to worry about Bsods any more.

You know guys im using exact same memory as i was when using the asrock board so it cant be blamed on memory.
                          Can you tell us your VCore on the P8Z68 (preferably while not overclocked)? I am wondering if Asrock's MBs require over-voltage to be stable.

My experience:
                          Board was freezing while idle or under very light load (eg, web browsing).

I tried a number of "solutions", but the only thing that has made my system stable (for the past 3 days, at least) is setting VCore to a fixed value (initially 1.18 but currently trying 1.15). Thanks goes out to RistoCaliente and Da Man for their suggestion. DRAM voltage is 1.5V, as per spec.

What I noticed was that the core voltage, as reported by CPU-Z, would decrease as I added RAM modules. With only 1 (4GB) module installed, and CPU Voltage in the BIOS set to "Auto", the voltage would hover around 1.176. Sometimes it would drop to around 1.152, sometimes go up to 1.192 or so. If I added a second RAM module (in dual channel mode), the average voltage would drop to around 1.148, plus or minus. If I went to 4 modules (16GB total), the average voltage would drop to around 1.08 and sometimes get down as low as 0.956. With 4 modules inserted, my system would freeze up within about 4 hours.

If I set the voltage to a fixed value, CPU-Z reports a smaller variation and, perhaps significantly, with 4 modules it does not drop below 1v. Right now I'm running at 1.15 (CPU Load Line Calib set to Auto) and CPU-Z reports voltages between about 1.144 and 1.168, while "idle" (actually, while typing this post).

If I had to guess, I would say that adding memory modules to the Asrock board, WITH CPU VOLTAGE SET TO AUTO, results in a drop of VCore to below what's stable. Setting VCore to a fixed value of around 1.18 keeps it from dropping too low (testing to see if 1.15 is stable). As an aside, I note that going to 4 modules results in command rate going from 1T to 2T; doubt that this is a factor, though.

I gather from the Intel 6 Series CPU spec, the operating core voltage (VccCore) should be around 1.05V, though testing with this value resulted in an immediate freeze. Upping the voltage to 1.18 is still within Intel's spec, but they do say that running the CPU over it's intended voltage can shorten its life.

It would be great if others could test to see if they experience this same behaviour when they up the number of memory sticks, especially if they go to 4, and report back on this thread.

One last thing. I am using a Corsair H60 cooler. This cooler consists of a pump and a radiator/fan combo, and the pump is supposed to be run at 100%, the fan can be MB controlled. I was using CPU fan headers 1 and 2 but got to wondering about whether or not I was exceeding the fan header's current rating. Tech support from Asrock said that each fan header is capable of supplying a max of 2A; tech support from Corsair said that the H60 could draw up to 24W (2A @ 12V). I thought that, maybe, the extra draw from the H60 was impacting core voltage so I attached the pump directly to the PS and left the fan on the MB header. This had no effect on freezing but, since the Extreme4 does not let you separately control CPU1 and CPU2 fan headers, it allowed me to run the pump at 100% but reduce the radiator fan speed to "Level 2". This had a hugh impact on noise (evidently the Corsair fan isn't the quietest) and made no noticeable difference in temps. Idle is still around 28-29C, Prime95 @100% on all threads gets up to around 48-50C (no change, but higher fan speeds kick in at 45C). Ambient is around 24-25C. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else is running a similar setup and wants a quieter system.

My system:
                          Z68 Extreme4
                          i7-2600K - not overclocked
                          16GB Corsair Vengenace DDR3 memory @ 1600 (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9)
                          Haf-X case
                          Corsair H60 cooler
                          Corsair AX850 power supply
                          WDC 2x500GB Caviar Black
                          Lite-On DVD

Comment

Like I posted in another thread ...

Your problems all relate to the idle voltage being supplied to the Sandy Bridge CPU during low load times.
                            If you open CPU-Z and watch the voltage, it will drop during low load, since Sandy Bridge downclocks the CPU to 1600Mhz to conserve power.

If the voltage drops too low, say below 0.9v, your system becomes unstable.

With Sandy bridge CPUs, the v-core at idle is also as important at load.

Make sure you adjust "CPU core voltage" with either a fixed voltage for your particular speed and still maintain stability at load,
                            or use offset voltage and ensure that you add voltage to "Offset Voltage" until idle voltage is above 0.98v.

This ensures your idle voltage will never drop below 0.95v. Anything below 0.95v starts to cause stability problems.
                            Keep it above 0.98vs to be safe.

Comment

I received the following response from ASRock tech support via email:

Subject RE: $Z68 Extreme4$ BSOD A clock interrupt was not received
                              Sender Asrock TSD
                              Recipient obscured email address
                              Date Today 12:38

Dear Sir,

Thanks for contacting ASRock.

Please kindly set CPU voltage to [Fixed mode, 1.190V] or [Offset mode, +0.07V] for testing.

Thanks for your e-mail.

Best Regards,

ASRock TSD

Sent: 2011/8/2 [星期二] 上午 10:37
                              To: Asrock TSD
                              Subject: FW: $Z68 Extreme4$ BSOD A clock interrupt was not received

For me this is not working at all, the only thing that has worked so far has been disabling the IGP and using a discreet card and since one of the marketing features of Z68 is the ability to actually use the IGP, all this is very disappointing. This is my first ASRock product, and I bought it while not listening to friends telling me "ASRock sucks". Seems ASRock is not taking this seriously and just relying on the forum responses for their technical support. I am seriously considering returning this MB at this point. As copystuff said Asus P8Z68-V seems like a good alternative around the same price, has two SATA ports less, no USB 3.0 front panel but integrated bluetooth.
                              Last edited by mercurytoxic; 08-20-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

For me this is not working at all, the only thing that has worked so far has been disabling the IGP and using a discreet card and since one of the marketing features of Z68 is the ability to actually use the IGP, all this is very disappointing.
                                What did you set CPU core voltage to? Fixed or offset?

Comment

Working...
                                X