Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

hey guys, I just signed up to tell you that I have the exact same problems on an asrock z68 pro3 board with i7 2600k and quality 650W PSU which i tested for a year working a+. Screen is used for performance/energy reasons on IGP connection. 12 gig mem@1600Mhz.
    -> random freezes occur every now and then... avg every 3 hours when in use, sometimes after 10 mins, so you really cant say when.
    IT OFTEN CRASHED when I was ....scrolling in firefox up or down (just like the other guy said). It happened like this 5 times so far. 3 times thesystem froze when i was moving with the mouse over the taskbar icons. and the rest of the time randomly.

the system never responds when it freezes, not even a BSOD. reset does work......after 30 secs.......and the pc turns itself off then (so, not a real reset) and then powers on after 10 secs again.

I really tried everything except higher voltages for cpu and ram. and I wont. **** this crap, i want an energy saving system not a waster, i mean cmon... think about the ecology and the money... 95% of the time my system is idle and shouldnt use 350W but 90W(which it actually does btw /wo screen). Also i dont feel the need to stress my cpu only for crappy asrock performance. the cpu cost me 250 euros and thats not peanuts, not even for me :D and I have a very bad feeling about this board stressing the cpu with malicoious voltages...... and when the system freezes......and reset button does not work immediately.....(=cpu cant respond to interrupt with highest priority)...that is a sign of something being VERY ****ED UP.

I mean i also study computer science...and what asus achieved here is a no go... dont they have quality assurance? they have no experts....ok, thats bad....but quality assurance? how can you sell a product with big z68 sign when it clearly has major bugs? first and last time i bought asrock/asus... going back to Gigabyte. luckily i bought this crap board 4 days ago.... 4 days of doom, with no productive work possible i only managed to watch 1 movie though... I am not even interested in a solution anymore, they lost my trust in their company. this piece of crap is going back tomorrow (via money-back-solution). i will report in if the other board will resolve the issue.

Comment

Greetings you all,
      Have been reading this thread today and I for a month experienced the same problems with my specimen of this board (freezing or BSOD with 0x0101 ,from the very first day ,not every day but regularly ,mostly when watching a You-tube video).
      My Config:
      Mobo : Asrock z68 Extreme4 ,BIOS v1.10
      Cpu : i7-2600K
      CPU-Cooler : Noctua NH-D14
      Ram : Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX (= 4x 4G)
      PSU : OCZ ModXStream-Pro 700W
      HDD : Seagate ST31000524AS (1000 GB)

Then I thought why not update the BIOS. So I downloaded the latest version (v1.7) from AsRock and flashed it from within the BIOS.
      That took while (was wondering wether or not it hung) but eventually I saw it updating the BIOS. Then It rebooted and the board was dead (DebugCode 00) !!!
      So went back to the store I bought it from and they gave new board (great service = alternate.nl).

This board is equiped with BIOS v1.4 and I am running it for 3 days now at 4.8 GHz :
      VCore = 1.438 (Fixed) ,
      PLL voltage = 1.538 ,
      DRAM = 1.500 ,
      Load-Line Calib = lev3l 3,
      MaxTemp Prime95 = 78(C) ,AveTemp Prime95 = 65(C) <= T <= 74(C) .
      Don't like the VCore so much ,but need to tweak some more.
      The only BSODs sofar I got were from overclock-tests.
      I know it's early days for a definite conclusion ,but I suspect my previous board was from a bad batch.

Anyhow ,my problems seem to be solved ,but for those who still have problems : Good Luck.
      To Emily from AsRock : You should put more commitment in you're answers ,they're very poor !

Comment

I have the same problem + RAM timings problem. Contacted ASRock and they sent me BIOS 1.60H. I have been using default settings except AHCI mode for SATA3 instead of the default IDE. Has been running 3 days without BSOD or freeze (keep fingers crossed).

Click image for larger version

Name:	oc2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	751525

Comment

Why not put BIOS on the site? When I installed L1.60G, I laughed. This company employs idiots who have no conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by h8asus View Post
            hey guys, I just signed up to tell you that I have the exact same problems on an asrock z68 pro3 board with i7 2600k and quality 650W PSU which i tested for a year working a+. Screen is used for performance/energy reasons on IGP connection. 12 gig mem@1600Mhz.
            -> random freezes occur every now and then... avg every 3 hours when in use, sometimes after 10 mins, so you really cant say when.
            IT OFTEN CRASHED when I was ....scrolling in firefox up or down (just like the other guy said). It happened like this 5 times so far. 3 times thesystem froze when i was moving with the mouse over the taskbar icons. and the rest of the time randomly.

the system never responds when it freezes, not even a BSOD. reset does work......after 30 secs.......and the pc turns itself off then (so, not a real reset) and then powers on after 10 secs again.

I really tried everything except higher voltages for cpu and ram. and I wont. **** this crap, i want an energy saving system not a waster, i mean cmon... think about the ecology and the money... 95% of the time my system is idle and shouldnt use 350W but 90W(which it actually does btw /wo screen). Also i dont feel the need to stress my cpu only for crappy asrock performance. the cpu cost me 250 euros and thats not peanuts, not even for me :D and I have a very bad feeling about this board stressing the cpu with malicoious voltages...... and when the system freezes......and reset button does not work immediately.....(=cpu cant respond to interrupt with highest priority)...that is a sign of something being VERY ****ED UP.

I mean i also study computer science...and what asus achieved here is a no go... dont they have quality assurance? they have no experts....ok, thats bad....but quality assurance? how can you sell a product with big z68 sign when it clearly has major bugs? first and last time i bought asrock/asus... going back to Gigabyte. luckily i bought this crap board 4 days ago.... 4 days of doom, with no productive work possible i only managed to watch 1 movie though... I am not even interested in a solution anymore, they lost my trust in their company. this piece of crap is going back tomorrow (via money-back-solution). i will report in if the other board will resolve the issue.
            ASRock is a subsidiary of Asus, doesn't mean that this produce the same thing and work the same way. Go rant to their TSD who hasn't been replying to this thread for quite some time.

Originally posted by langthang View Post
            I have the same problem + RAM timings problem. Contacted ASRock and they sent me BIOS 1.60H. I have been using default settings except AHCI mode for SATA3 instead of the default IDE. Has been running 3 days without BSOD or freeze (keep fingers crossed).
            [ATTACH]3791[/ATTACH]
            If this is true then this is indeed good news.
            I am happy that the default settings doesn't come with fixed voltage and that the freeze issue is fixed.
            Good for folks still on extreme 4. :)
            Please update folks here on the situation. :)

Comment

I have been following this thread since I got my Z68 extreme4 a couple of months back. Like many others, I had the "clock interrupt" BSOD since day one (i5 2500k; integrated graphics, not overclocked, etc). I had firmware 1.50 installed. I solved the BSOD problem by upping the voltage to fixed 1.190v and IGPU to +50. Don't know which one did it but it worked and no more problems. Two days ago I upgraded to firmware 1.70. The upgrade went smoothly but following that, the computer would hang before getting to the setup screen. I solved that by clearing the CMOS, after which it worked. I checked the BIOS setup and everything was set to defaults, including the CPU voltage which was set to Auto. The only setting I changed was IDE to AHCI for my hard drive. Anyway, the computer has been on nonstop for two days now without a BSOD or any other glitch. Bit soon to call this, but maybe Asrock have solved this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by rewind View Post
                I have been following this thread since I got my Z68 extreme4 a couple of months back. Like many others, I had the "clock interrupt" BSOD since day one (i5 2500k; integrated graphics, not overclocked, etc). I had firmware 1.50 installed. I solved the BSOD problem by upping the voltage to fixed 1.190v and IGPU to +50. Don't know which one did it but it worked and no more problems. Two days ago I upgraded to firmware 1.70. The upgrade went smoothly but following that, the computer would hang before getting to the setup screen. I solved that by clearing the CMOS, after which it worked. I checked the BIOS setup and everything was set to defaults, including the CPU voltage which was set to Auto. The only setting I changed was IDE to AHCI for my hard drive. Anyway, the computer has been on nonstop for two days now without a BSOD or any other glitch. Bit soon to call this, but maybe Asrock have solved this issue.
                thx. to rewind for informing us of your observation after updating to the lastest bios. BTW, would you please tell us what is the Vcore if you set auto? Does it change if you read this under Windows by using Asrock extreme tuner or CPU-Z?

Comment

yes asrock started as subsidiary of asus, but asus sold asrock a while ago, that's why asrock making extreme version to compete with Asus

Originally posted by Lighto View Post
                  ASRock is a subsidiary of Asus, doesn't mean that this produce the same thing and work the same way. Go rant to their TSD who hasn't been replying to this thread for quite some time.
                  Please update folks here on the situation. :)
                  hmm so from the screenshot you posted, it seem what the bios do is only increase the default voltage (auto) to 1.190
                  what a bad bad way to fix a bug, i wonder why doesn't the engineer search the root of the issue of why does it need to be 1.190 (as other motherboard is fine with lower voltage), rather than apply the the 1.190 voltage as their default.

[ATTACH]3791[/ATTACH]

Comment

vcore under windows is around 0.95 while idle
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	cpuz.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	751526

Comment

well if that's true that is nice, haven't got the time to test it yet,
                      anyway its a bit strange asrock to release a beta bios the same time they release the official version
                      the description on bios v1.70 say Support XMP ver. 1.3. but no Improve system stability like the one on 1.6G
                      but rewind said 1.7 fixed his bsod

so which version users should use?
                      because there are two version
                      1.70 and the beta L1.60I

and both have the same release date and changelog

vcore under windows is around 0.95 while idle
                      [ATTACH]3792[/ATTACH]
                      Last edited by Da_Man; 08-30-2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Same sad history since day 1 with z68-extreme-4. After contacting support I was oriented to check memory with MEMTEST86 and update bios to 1.6 beta. It not worked. I replied to support and got the following answer:

"
                        After you have update the BIOs with Beta version and still have some blue screen problems ,please contact your vendor and return it.

ASRock America Support
                        "

For sure I will return BUT get another mobo from another vendor. Very, very poor after-sales service from ASRock.

Comment

Because I have a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and it has the similar BSOD/freeze issues I followed their guide to clear CMOS after flash BIOS. Even if you don't have SSD it would help to clear CMOS just in case you have an Intel Management Engine CMOS corruption.

Comment

> so which version users should use?
                            > because there are two version
                            > 1.70 and the beta L1.60I

Da_Man, I still get the blue screen with 1.70. YMMV. I haven't tried L1.60I yet.

Comment

I once again tried setting everything on default (using Bios 1.6) and thought the system was running fine...and it went... until 5 mins ago.

here is more info: when the PC freezes, the piece of music you listened to is stuck in a buffer loop and gets repeated. first it is a loop of ~1 sec length for about 2-3 secs.
                              then its a .4 sec loop for about 3 secs.
                              then its an indefinite loop of 0.05 sec until you panically switch the pc off.

however... this time it was interesting... before this happened, the music was just stuck and stuttered a bit...like a distortion when someone rapidly adjusts the analogue volume wheel on old HIFI players....then the music (and pc) went on normally for 5 seconds....then the scenario mentioned above happened and it crashed again. it was something like a premature crash lol.

well I already contaced my vendor and this junk board is going back tomorrow. Hope I will have the replacement by the next week so I can tell if it is the board/brand.
                              Last edited by h8asus; 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I note that langthang's BIOS display not only shows Vcore at 1.184 but also shows Power Saving mode is Disabled.

Vcore as shown in BIOS display is 1.184v but CPU-Z shows only 0.95v, makes me wonder why there is such a large discrepancy. I noted in an earlier post that my Vcore's (as measured by CPU-Z) decreased as RAM modules were added and that I had some concerns about power draws via the fan headers (my Corsair H60 draws 24W = 2 amps at 12v).

I wonder if langthang would like to run a couple of tests for us

It would be interesting to see if his/her system was still stable with Power Saving mode enabled.

Langthang has 4 DIMMs (as do I) but the memory is running at 1.6v while mine runs at 1.5v. Perhaps the added power draw is bringing down Vcore more than what I've seen in my system? It would be interesting to see Vcore's with only 2 or even 1 DIMM module installed.

I wonder if langthang's system is only barely stable. With Vcore at 0.95 it's pretty close to the Sandy Bridge spec's minimum.

Comment

Working...
                                X