Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

I have a X79-UP4 (F4 BIOS) and paired it with an i7 3930k C2 Stepping.

I tried a lot of different BIOS both official,modded,beta etc and the problems persists...

The motherboard ignores the change of the main CPU Ratio at all.

I tried a lot of different things/combinations , with or without tyrbo , energy savings, setting voltages manually etc etc.

The processor never gets above 3800 with turbo enabled.
    If turbo is off the processor runs at 3200 even if i set the ratio to something else than 32.

I am out of ideas and i start thinking if i have a defective motherboard or processor.
    Unfortunately i dont have the luxury to test with another MB or CPU right now..

Any help will be much appreciated.

Comment

Could you take some screenshots of the BIOS settings for the CPU frequency and advanced CPU frequency tabs, that may help spur some ideas to narrow down what could be causing such weird symptoms.

Comment

Solved thanks !

Comment

I just updated to the latest F16 BIOS on my X79-UD3. However, there are some minor issues. First, the Windows 8 Task Manager reports the Maximum Speed as 3.6 GHz even though my stock 3930K turbos to 3.8 GHz even when all cores are being used. Second, my 16 GB RAM reports as 15.9 GB in the Task Manager. It states 80 MB is hardware reserved.

What should I do? I know these are not major issues but I would still like to correct them. I tried disabling all the C states in the BIOS but it made no difference. I disabled Turbo Boost in the BIOS but then the max speed was reported as 3.2 GHz in the Task Manager.

These issues came with the BIOS update. Could a reformat cure them?

Comment

Originally posted by Kain View Post
            First, the Windows 8 Task Manager reports the Maximum Speed as 3.6 GHz even though my stock 3930K turbos to 3.8 GHz even when all cores are being used.
            Perfectly normal. Windows 8 doesn't detect the turbo mode feature with Intel CPUs that accurately. Sometimes they can be shown as 4.5GHz instead of 3.5GHz.

Originally posted by Kain View Post
            Second, my 16 GB RAM reports as 15.9 GB in the Task Manager. It states 80 MB is hardware reserved.
            Also normal. A small portion of memory is reserved by the BIOS and some drivers. So you won't get to utilize every last Mbyte.

Comment

Originally posted by SolidBladez View Post
              Perfectly normal. Windows 8 doesn't detect the turbo mode feature with Intel CPUs that accurately. Sometimes they can be shown as 4.5GHz instead of 3.5GHz.

Also normal. A small portion of memory is reserved by the BIOS and some drivers. So you won't get to utilize every last Mbyte.
              Thanks! I was just concerned because with my previous BIOS (F14) I did not have these issues. Maybe future BIOS updates could cure them somehow? Thanks again though.

Comment

hi there

i just baught and install a GA-Z87X-UDH3.
                i also baught and install ADATA XPG V2 Series DDR3-2400
                (link here ADATA XPG V2 Series DDR3-2400 8GB Memory Kit Review | Computer Hardware Reviews - ThinkComputers.org - Part 4)

This RAM is in the list of compatibility you display on your site.

My problem is that when i put XMP1 profile in the Bios in order to obtain my memory running at 2400, the machine do not boot.
                I have to take down the frequency multiplier in order to boot.
                The machine boot when i take down the RAM multiplier from 24 to 22 AND SO I OBTAIN THE FREQUENCY SPEED 2200 NOT 2400

Why is my RAM not fonctionning at 2400? XMP1 profile problem?
                Looks like i need XMP1.3 but i dont have seen it anywhere on Bios thread.
                I finally upgraded my BIOS to F8e and the problem remains the same, no boot at 2400 with XMP1 profile.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi !
                  I bought a mainboard ga-z87x UD5H
                  seguete problem with the fans of the cpu fan optional and some of the houses do not work.
                  optional cpu fan does not work.
                  cpu fan if I start a stress test (ibt linx first) does not increase the speed
                  with increasing temperature of the CPU.
                  but if I remove the power to the mainboard via psu back everything up and running.
                  I tried to be utilizare other fans that another psu.
                  but the problem remains.

I sent in the main board (RMA have found the defect) and
                  have it replaced.
                  the new mainboard has the exact same problem.
                  I updated all the bios available. (including F8A)
                  but nothing has changed.

how can I solve is the second card with the same problem.
                  and if it was a bug in the bios?

thanks waiting desperately for help.

Comment

Originally posted by bboxrender View Post
                    hi there

i just baught and install a GA-Z87X-UDH3.
                    i also baught and install ADATA XPG V2 Series DDR3-2400
                    (link here ADATA XPG V2 Series DDR3-2400 8GB Memory Kit Review | Computer Hardware Reviews - ThinkComputers.org - Part 4)

This RAM is in the list of compatibility you display on your site.

My problem is that when i put XMP1 profile in the Bios in order to obtain my memory running at 2400, the machine do not boot.
                    I have to take down the frequency multiplier in order to boot.
                    The machine boot when i take down the RAM multiplier from 24 to 22 AND SO I OBTAIN THE FREQUENCY SPEED 2200 NOT 2400

Why is my RAM not fonctionning at 2400? XMP1 profile problem?
                    Looks like i need XMP1.3 but i dont have seen it anywhere on Bios thread.
                    I finally upgraded my BIOS to F8e and the problem remains the same, no boot at 2400 with XMP1 profile.

Thanks for your help.
                    What's your frequency multiplier set too? What's your max cpu freuquency and turbo boost frequency. What is your BCLK and BCLK strap set too?

Comment

[QUOTE=CharliesTheMan;467015]What's your frequency multiplier set too? What's your max cpu freuquency and turbo boost frequency. What is your BCLK and BCLK strap set too?[/

System memory multiplier 22.00
                      BCLK (host clock value, right?) 100.00Mhz
                      sorry how to answer your question about BCLK set strap too...
                      processor base clock 1.00x
                      cpu clock ratio 35
                      cpu frequency 3.50Ghz i7-4770k

Comment

Originally posted by Godaemon View Post
                        Solved thanks !
                        What was the problem? Sounds a bit like my X79-UD5 in the early days. Straps could only be enabled by reducing the CPU core multiplier and RAM multiplier to the lowest. Reboot. Then enable strap and set the VCore voltage correctly... Don't tell me the UP4 is actually still having that bug? The older UDx boards got it fixed.

Comment

I decided to overclock my I3820 on a x79-UD3 rev 1.0 to 4.3 from 3.6 . I started this morning by simply setting the multiplier to 40 turning off the turbo as well, and it ran fine however the voltage runs at 1.32 instead of the 1.29 and I know that's not necessary. The thing is I can't change the voltage adjustment I can enter a new value but after I reboot it goes back up to 1.320..... any ideas?

Running an F11 bios.
                          Last edited by mike stokes; 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

@mike stokes

Hello,

are you sure 1.29V is enough? A normal value for ~4.4 GHz would be 1.35V or even a bit more towards 1.37, not 1.29. Your system might look stable in normal applications but there is a good chance that it'll crash within minutes when running OCCT. Even Prime 95 with AVX support doesn't stress your CPU enough, unfortunately.

The nasty detail is you won't see much if any stability under normal circumstances when running Windows and regular applications.

What do you use for stability testing?

Check my system specs for a basic idea of my settings...

Comment

Originally posted by Amurtigress View Post
                              @mike stokes

Hello,

are you sure 1.29V is enough? A normal value for ~4.4 GHz would be 1.35V or even a bit more towards 1.37, not 1.29. Your system might look stable in normal applications but there is a good chance that it'll crash within minutes when running OCCT. Even Prime 95 with AVX support doesn't stress your CPU enough, unfortunately.

The nasty detail is you won't see much if any stability under normal circumstances when running Windows and regular applications.

No issues yet, I ran 30 passes of Intel burn plus my flight simulator software for 8 hrs with 2 screens and 4 or 5 apps with it.
                              It still runs variable voltages up to 1.325 ,it's now set at 1.30.

I know someone who is running the I3820 at 5GHZ and 1.495v.

Before I moved anything the factory Vcore setting in the BIos was 1.291. for 3.6GHZ with the Turbo boost enabled.

The word is with this CPU you can run it from the factory 3.6 all the way to 4.3 without touching the voltage.

If I get a BSOD I'll just turn it back up a bit.
                              Last edited by mike stokes; 10-07-2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amurtigress View Post
                                @mike stokes

Hello,

No mike stokes is probably right. The 3820 just happens to be a beast of a chip for overclocking, and the silicon lottery effects them like others, but it's a big percentage of them that are "golden." It just depends on the chip really. 4.4 at around 1.29 to 1.31 vcore sounds right for the typical 3820 costa rica. Some people can run them stable at a good bit less voltage than that. On my chip with the X79-UP4 I run 4.35 at 1.28 but when I step up to 4.5 I have to bump my vcore up to about 1.33. A lot of it has to do with the BIOS, even if you only consider BIOS versions of the same model gigabyte board, the BIOS build versions will vary some in the amount of vcore the chip needs to run stably. But when you start looking at different brand boards and a lot of screenies for each you can get an idea of how the range varies between boards and manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                                X