NV40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JSN
    1. if you're planning on building a monster....why settle for a 9800 pro?
    2. quit yer hijackin'
    cuz monsters cost money...and i'm not about to dump 400-500 on a card when i could buy a cheaper one that will be usable for just as long.

and what is hijacking? if i knew what it was, odds are i wouldn't do it.

Comment

• if you're going to be gaming, the vid card is the only thing you go all out on. my machine has a 3000xp bought for 150 - and soon to have a R420. all i'm saying is your machine will boot in like 15 seconds, it will load up real quick and lag during play. not a good thing to experience after blowing a few grand.

and hijacking is changing the subject of a thread. we WERE discussing the colossal failure that is modern day nVidia

Comment

if you're going to be gaming, the vid card is the only thing you go all out on. my machine has a 3000xp bought for 150 - and soon to have a R420. all i'm saying is your machine will boot in like 15 seconds, it will load up real quick and lag during play. not a good thing to experience after blowing a few grand.

and hijacking is changing the subject of a thread. we WERE discussing the colossal failure that is modern day nVidia

Duely noted but all the same, I can only afford to spend about 250 on a card. I'm not looking for a gaming system as much as I am something that can handle all sorts of projects at once...my current computer can't even run word xp and kazaa at the same time; they both suck up the memory and my processor can't keep up. Gaming is definitely a plus, I love computer gaming and thats why I'm looking for the best card I can get at this time (and I think both the 5900FX and 9800 Pro are both good chips), but my main priority is to get a computer that can keep up with all the XP software, which my little anthlon 1.05 ain't doing.

By the way, I believe this does tie into the dismal state nVidia is in; we are sitting here arguing which company produces the best chip. I have personally always been a nVidia person, but the ATI people have brought up some valid points that check out (i.e. ATI's shading ability, though I still don't fully comprehend what the big, fat deal with shading is anyway). So come on, keep the nVidia vs. ATI talk comin.

Comment

1. if you're planning on building a monster....why settle for a 9800 pro?
          2. quit yer hijackin'
          Sorry : omg:
          Start a thread and i will help you, assuming JSN and weta dont put a whooping on me. :roll:
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

• i here its supposed to have up to 512 MB memmory...
            the referance only has 256, and 256 on one side too!
            so, when are we gona see the 512MB version?

Comment

• Current games are barely utilizing 256mb....so i doubt 512 will be anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by AsianBatman
                Current games are barely utilizing 256mb....so i doubt 512 will be anytime soon.
                current games aren't even coming close to 256...much less 512

same goes with 8X bus speed...but technology moves forward I guess..?

Comment

• But of course, they will do anything to jack up the price of cards to ungodly prices because they know there are crazy crazy people out there who will pay those crazy crazy prices for technology they won't be using for another five years.

But thats good for the rest of us cuz the prices of what WERE the ungodly priced cards will fall into our price range. It's the circle of life!

Comment

• 512MB of GDDR3 is more about marketing than anything else.

Comment

• well, thats marketing thats working well for me.
                      man im getting all wet just thinking about 512mb of gddr3...*OOOHHHHH*....*SPLAT!* man 512mb...*MOOOAAANNN*

Comment

• It's like I said...there will always be someone to buy it.

Another marketing scheme that has worked to perfection.

Now all they have to do is wory about ATI and their new chip.

Comment

• if I was Nvidia I wouldnt be worring about memory and clock speeds. On paper the 9500 KILLED the 9800.

now that the R420 is rumored at 600Mhz while the NV40 is at 400...I wonder if the roles have switched

Comment

if I was Nvidia I wouldnt be worring about memory and clock speeds. On paper the 9500 KILLED the 9800.

now that the R420 is rumored at 600Mhz while the NV40 is at 400...I wonder if the roles have switched
                            i am confused...9500 killed 9800? ...no trying to start anything..but i am seriously clueless.

Comment

• yes, on paper. it had a higher clock speed and a higher memory clock.

but it real life the 9800 was clearly better

Comment

• 1. The current NV40 GPU (A1 revision) is 400MHz, a second GPU (A2 revision) 475MHz is on the way.
                                2. Don't forget the 9800 has more pipelines, a 256bit memory interface and faster memory.

Comment

Working...
                                X