Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's NV40 unchallenged in the power race
    Power to the people

In the near future, we are pretty sure that NVIDIA is going to win the graphics crown back from ATI, but not by a huge amount. This will, as usual, last for about two weeks until the next product cycle kicks in, and the brass ring is once again up for grabs. If you think ATI will sit still, think again, it will fight tooth and nail.

NVIDIA will win one race hands down, the power race. I am sure you have seen the pictures of the NV40 boards floating around here and there, and saw the two molex connectors sticking off the back. If this didn’t clue you in, let me tell you right out, NV will be unchallenged in the power race.

Not only will the card lie closer to Prescott than Tejas on the power scale, but it will also have some really nasty asterisks after the two molex connectors on the requirements sheet. Those asterisks are the killer.

It seems each of those connectors will need to be plugged into a separate power rail, and nothing else can be plugged into that rail. OK, they will let you put a fan into it, but anything more is strictly forbidden. You can just hear the good folk at Antec doing the happy dance. Power supply upgrade time people.

Now, before you go off and start criticising NVIDIA the same way you are rapping Intel, let me say there is a big difference. Intel was *****-slapped by the press over Prescott because it didn’t perform and it sucked power. The NV40 will, by all accounts, will perform, and perform well. The juice sucking is secondary.

What I mean is that if you deliver, you are effectively dangling a shiny thing in front of the public, and they overlook the occasional wart. NVIDIA has a whopper of a shiny thing here, what was that about power again?

The Inquirer

Comment

• Seriously, guys... don't u think TheEnquirer sounds like an NVidia fan? :)

Well, about the news if it's true, then we will surely need a new PSU. That means after spending $500, or more, on the GPU, we'll have to spend around 70-100 on a good PSU, with more power lines. My current Enermax EG-465..... has 1 extra power line (compared to my old generic PSU) and still.... not enough :roll:
      Well, maybe it's worth it, who knows... (and I wonder about the R420's power demand, as 9800XT is the most power-demanding one atm)

Comment

• One of the reviews I read said that you need a 300Watt PSU or higher, depending on what your currently running for hardware. But i'm guessing 350Watts minimum.

Comment

• great...so the sparkle 400W I just bought is useless seeing how i'm planning on upgrading to a NV40 and keeping 3 hard drives....

I need a new hobby :(

Comment

• Surely you can split one rail for both of the connectors. :roll: But it doesnt matter to me anyway becasue Ati is the only way to go.. 8)

Comment

• Geforce 6800 Ultra has 222 million transistors

Next week is when Nvidia's hammer strikes the forge and NV40 sparks fly.
              We already know a fair amount of what Nvidia will reveal on the 13th in San Francisco and on the 14th in the land of chocolate and cuckoos.

16×1 and 32×0 no Z values is what Nvidia wants to tell people and 12353 3D marks 03 for the chip that has an amazing 222 million transistors.

As we said before Nvidia will push hard the fact that it is the only firm that will have a Pixel Shader 3.0 model on the market and it will focus its marketing efforts there. This means that apart from full support for Shader Model 3.0 it will support model 3.0 Vertex Texture Fetch/Long programs/Pixel Shader flow control Vertex Texture Fetch/Long programs/Pixel Shader flow control and full speed fp32 shading. Let's hope everyone understands what this means.

There are plenty of other features of the chip which can do 16 pixels per clock Color & Z or 32 pixels per clock Z-only, 64-bit FP Frame Buffer Blending & Display, Lossless Color & Z-Compression and a new Antialiasing approach called High Quality AA - Rotated Grid full MTR (multi target rendering I guess), and accelerated shadow rendering.

The chip is built by IBM on a .13µ (micron) architecture and it will use the 60 series of drivers - currently 60.70.

Geforce 6800 Ultra has two power connectors and is, surprisingly a one slot card for its reference card.

It uses GDDR3 memory clocked at 550MHz but some partners might go even higher.

The Inquirer

Comment

• NV40: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

Comment

• I hope they include a DVI to analog adapter..

Comment

• Originally posted by tacos4me
                    I hope they include a DVI to analog adapter..
                    my first thought as well. one more day till the launch...just take my f'in wallet NVidia!

Comment

• Here's a better picture of NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra reference card which according to one website will cost $399.

Comment

• Originally posted by tacos4me
                        I hope they include a DVI to analog adapter..
                        Most cards now come with a dvi adapter. I know all ati cards come with it.
                        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                        SC: Audigy 2 zs
                        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

• Originally posted by weta
                          .......according to one website will cost $399.

Whoa, sounds too good to be true..... but hey if it's true, I think it's a great marketing strategy by NVidia. I mean, considering ATI's releasing the R420 2 weeks later, or even more than a month later for the XT series (supposedly the faster than NV40 :evil: ), then a lot of enthusiasts will be tempted to buy NV40, instead of waiting for the X800 XT.

But then again, maybe..... :roll:

:)

Comment

• i'll probably buy a NV40...return it in 30 days and get a X800 XT

Comment

• Do they have an exact release date yet...i'm about to build a new computer and would be pretty pissed if I dump $260 on a 5900FX right now and the price plummets two months later :evil:

Comment

• That will always happen...no matter what...i bought my 9800 for 200..then 2 weeks later..it was going for 100..but it was sold out the minute the store open.
                                CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                                Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                                RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                                GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                                PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                                SC: Audigy 2 zs
                                LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                                Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                                Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Working...
                                X