No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

I'm starting to worry as none of the Runcore guys is posting anymore.

Matt made a proposal but never confirmed or contacted me.

Comment

We'll see after the weekend.
      There must be a solution somehow.

Comment

i hope runcore will be say something...fast!
        i'm really unhappy with the product and when the issue isn't solved... this were my first and last runcore product
        it can't be that they sell a non tested product and then the support is say nothing!
        I have only 2 weeks to send this ssd device back to the reseller...
        Last edited by foobug; 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

It's really looking like they play the watch, to make sure we can't claim a refund.

I'm getting very upset by this

Comment

No don't worry guys send them back to the vendor ASAP if you want. Actually MDD is probably the only one that shipped these and they are great so call them up and send them back now if you like.

That may be the best thing to do at this point because it is not looking like we are going to find a fast solution as I had hoped.

We are ordering a number of SATA to PATA bridges from different manufacturers. At the same time we are developing a new drive for the MBA Rev A just in case the bridge does not fix this drives compatibility issues with the MBA Rev A.

The other drive we are developing is bassed on a slower controller but it will still knock the socks off the HDD and SSD that came stock in the Revision A it will also be around 10-15% less expensive. But lets keep our fingers crossed that a new bridge chip can solve our problems with the current MBA version.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
              No don't worry guys send them back to the vendor ASAP if you want. Actually MDD is probably the only one that shipped these and they are great so call them up and send them back now if you like.

That may be the best thing to do at this point because it is not looking like we are going to find a fast solution as I had hoped.

We are ordering a number of SATA to PATA bridges from different manufacturers. At the same time we are developing a new drive for the MBA Rev A just in case the bridge does not fix this drives compatibility issues with the MBA Rev A.

The other drive we are developing is bassed on a slower controller but it will still knock the socks off the HDD and SSD that came stock in the Revision A it will also be around 10-15% less expensive. But lets keep our fingers crossed that a new bridge chip can solve our problems with the current MBA version.

Matt
              ok then there are no instructions to fix it?
              whats with the point master or cable select?
              Aktuelle Notebook und Laptop Angebote - notebook.de is also shipping the 128gb ssd!

Comment

Damn!

I bought this SSD from the RunCoreStore itself. Are you now suggesting to send it back? Is that 'the best' solution?

What about the Master/CS tweak?
                The other control: instead of the Indilinx control you mean? Which one will it be?

I already spent a fair amount of money on a new MBA-Zif Cable and shipment...

Why is this drive labelled MacBook Air Rev. A still on the site?

Comm'n, this is no solution...

Comment

Sorry guys trust me I hate saying send them back more than anything but unfortunately changing it over to master is not a solution for the MBA as it seem to work about one out of 10 times and when it does work we are noticing on and off problems with boot up of the OS.

I will be taking the MBA Rev A upgrade off the sites and informing the resellers to not sell them at this time.

I absolutely assure you guys that within about 15 days you will see a solution for the MBA Rev A from Runcore.

While trying to make the Indilinx drive work we will be using an SMI PATA controller instead of using a SATA controller with a PATA bridge. We already tested it and it works great but it will take around 15 days to design and manufacture the drive. On the MBA Rev A we get an HDD only Xbench score of 98 which is better than the Rev C 2.13GHz with the Samsung SATA SSD at 89 and absolutely kills the MBA Rev A SSD and HDD score which is only in the 20's.

To reiterate on the testing with MBA Rev A. We were not expecting any issues with the upgrade and did not have an MBA Rev A to test with. It is boggling our minds as to why the drive works in every other zif computer except the MBA Rev A and we will not give up.

Thank you all for sticking with us through this process. We are working hard to support you guys and your computer.

Matt

Comment

Ok so now we have to snd it back, but this is going to cost quite some money and what about the Refund will it cover all costs because I have also paid some import duties....

Comment

And what about the 15% restocking fees?

Comment

GillesB If you want the new drive I think the best option for you would be for us to not do anything yet I will talk to UPS and ask them if there is a way to send you a replacement (the new model) drive with a return label to send the old drive back with and avoid the taxes.

vintueil, there will be no restocking fee due to the fact that the drive did not work for you.

Matt

Comment

Yes that is the one and I give you permission to take it off yourself.

Originally posted by GillesB View Post
                          So where are we?

I'm still waiting for those instructions and answers..

Is this the Resistor ?

I can confim I tried witha 120 Gb drive and it works, so there is no limitation on the MBA as of drive size.

Comment

Matt,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the "bitter" posts sent before, but I was more than worrying.

You said that you tried in MASTER but it doesn't solved the problem, is that right?

If it is the case I will prefer to wait for a replacement drive, if you didn't and you would like me to test it, fine I'll proceed with the R49 removal (Do not worry I have a soldering iron with erathing and static protection for electronic components).

Thanks.

Gilles

Comment

NP, you can try it but it does not mean it is going to work. Like I said before it is off an on. But if you like doing stuff like this and want to try then go right ahead.

Matt

Comment

Guys,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm also one of the suffferer of this unfortunate event. After 6 weeks of waiting, I finally got the RCP-IV-Z1864-C yesterday from MDD and I spent almost 5 hrs trying to get to work with my MBA Rev A but in vain.

Thanks for this useful forum, I now got the answer. But my question is why MDD still shipping these "fault" units out when GillesB (plus a few tens of people) reporting problems with MBA in the net? Maybe Matt can try answer this...

I went to local reseller in Hong Kong just now and they said the new batch received is having problem and not allow to sell, honest folks.

I also bought two other brands (Kxxxspecs KSD-ZF18-128MJ and Phxxxfast PF18Z64GSSDZIF) to try out. The result was Kxxx also can't work with MBA Rev A, BUT the Taiwanese Phxxx works perfectly well!!! And that really make my day.

Comment

Working...
                                X