No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Is there a moderator or admin to ban those ass****?

Comment

To make it Master you have to remove the R49 resistor on the SSD. It is the top resistor in the column on the right of the PCB. You will see that R49 is written above it. If anyone wants to try it then PM me and I will send you instructions.

At this point we do not know why the SSD works some of the time in the MBA we are consulting other people and trying to figure it out.

I have a meeting with the guys in china in about an hour we will discuss the problems in that meeting and we hope to get some new ideas through the group discussion.

BTW I am really sorry we did not test the drive in the MBA rev A we had already tested it in so many other computers and it worked fine and we were having a hard time getting a MBA Rev A in China at the time. Other than the format and the software included there is no difference in the MBA Rev A and the PC product.

Matt

Comment

Then why label it as being compatible with the MacBook Air Rev. A? So I would like to return the drive. Is this possible?

Comment

Thank you Matt for being honest.

As it seems, the Macbook Air Rev A has a logical drive size limitation:

Original Macbook Air Hard Drive upgrade problems - The macosxhints Forums

Macbook Air hard drive - 5mm or 8mm? - The macosxhints Forums

I assume, there will be no chance in getting it fixed ever.

Comment

Originally posted by vintueil View Post
            Drive size limitation shouldn't prevent my 64GB drives from working. Still hoping for a proper fix. Neither RunCore nor KingSpec has replied to my inquiry, which I've sent on their websites.
            Last edited by santala; 09-03-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
              To make it Master you have to remove the R49 resistor on the SSD. It is the top resistor in the column on the right of the PCB. You will see that R49 is written above it. If anyone wants to try it then PM me and I will send you instructions.

At this point we do not know why the SSD works some of the time in the MBA we are consulting other people and trying to figure it out.

I have a meeting with the guys in china in about an hour we will discuss the problems in that meeting and we hope to get some new ideas through the group discussion.

BTW I am really sorry we did not test the drive in the MBA rev A we had already tested it in so many other computers and it worked fine and we were having a hard time getting a MBA Rev A in China at the time. Other than the format and the software included there is no difference in the MBA Rev A and the PC product.

Matt
              Hi Matt,

thx for your posting. I want to try to send you a PM, but there comes an error message.

Code:
              Runcore Marketing has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
              Can you post a link to the the instructions? I will try.

Comment

the links has nothing to do with this problem her...
                the first one ist a problem with the partition table. a mac hdd must formated within GUID table and not with MBR table.
                an the second problem doesn't exist with the runcore ssd drives. they fit into a macbook air.

Comment

Ok if I summarize.

You badged and marketed a product without testing it.

Now we know, and I demonstrated it (The information comes from an Apple Tech engineer) , that the drive in an MBA doesn't work in CS, and MUST be in Master.

The change requires to open the SSD it and voids the warranty.

Who is going to test that solution?

What if it doesn't work either?

If I do it do you still cover my drive by warranty?

I had to pay for taxes, does your refund covers that also?

Thanks for your answers.

Comment

As I am a bit of a Kamikaze, I will try with an Ipod HD of 120MB
                    I will tell you if it is that, but according to my Apple Tech Engineer, he doesn't believe in such a limitation.

Regards

Comment

Sorry, foobug is absolutely right.

This limitation doesn't exist.
                      I read reports of people installing with success a 128 GB Photofast SSD.

First of all, hi to all i'm new to this forum. I want to explain my ssd experience. Last week i buy a G-Monster Photofast SSD 64GB ZIF 40pin for my macbook air rev.A and it works like a charm!! Macbook air now is a lot faster in all application and i get more battery life (about 20...
                      Last edited by vintueil; 09-03-2009, 05:52 AM.

Comment

But looks like the Photofast drive is a slow motion....
                        The Xbench tests are under the ones of my Samsung 64g SSD, which is supposed to be 50% slower than the Runcore IV Pro.

I'd like to test that surgery thing tonight, so I really need the Info on how to proceed, please Matt if you read me send me a PM.
                        Last edited by GillesB; 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM.

Comment

So where are we?

I'm still waiting for those instructions and answers..

Is this the Resistor ?

I can confim I tried witha 120 Gb drive and it works, so there is no limitation on the MBA as of drive size.

Last edited by GillesB; 09-03-2009, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Would be nice to get an update... So far no reaction on an email as to how I can return the drive and get my money back...

Comment

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
                              While tinkering with the MBA issue we played with the drive settings. The drive is set to cable select and if we make it master all of those PC's that were not working should now work unfortunately all except the MBA.
                              Salut GillesB,

Thanks for trying with a bigger HD.
                              But, according to Matt's former post, changing the drive settings to master will not resolve the problem.

By the way, there's no way I will gonna fiddle around with a soldering iron and void the guarantee.

I hope we all get a full refund of our money ASAP.

Regards,

Robert
                              Last edited by vintueil; 09-04-2009, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Matt,

Since you've managed to get a MBA Rev. A earlier for testing, has the Master/Cable Select 'tweak' already been tested?

If you can guaranty me that removing R49 will solve the problem, I'm willing to give it a chance.
                                Last edited by Martijn; 09-04-2009, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X