No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Runcore Drive for MacBook Air Rev A" works great (except on Macbook Air)

Received the following email that confirms the drive that is actually marketed and labeled as compatible for the MacBook Air does not work (although it works with other notebooks).

Comment

Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
      Well guys I do not have an answer just yet but it is not looking like a quick fix as of today. Someone at our Shanghai office had a friend come in with his MBA Rev A and they had no success. We are now raising it to the next level to find out what the problem may be. We have also emailed all of the parts vendors to ask if they have any compatibility issues with the MacBook Air. Please be patent we will solve the problem. There will always be some issues that arrive from releasing the newest of technologies but nothing our Technicians cannot fix.

I will keep you guys posted when I hear something even if its over the weekend.

Matt
      Matt,

Thanks for this, I would have preferred that Runcore actually tested the drive before badging it "For MacBookAir RevA".

I stopped installing / uninstalling the drive as it would most likely cause to a destruction of the Zif cable at least.
      Please keep us posted ASAP.

Regards

Comment

Guys the Runcore design team is working on this issue and believe it to be solvable in a very short time.

Also I have some side news while reviewing the issue that the MBA has we found a couple other computers do not work with the drive as you can see from the post with the letter from MDD. While tinkering with the MBA issue we played with the drive settings. The drive is set to cable select and if we make it master all of those PC's that were not working should now work unfortunately all except the MBA.

I'm guessing the notebook manufacturers must do something in the BIOS that only allows them to work on a Master setting.

Needless to say we are going to ship the drives set to master from now on.

I will update you guys in the morning.

Also MacWorld wants to do a review on both of our 1.8" MacBook Air products we have to get this thing working and fast.

Matt Dawson
        Runcore CMO

Comment

I have successfully installed MAC OS on the MBA.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Almeida View Post
            I have successfully installed MAC OS on the MBA.
            I guess the question is whether you had to do something special to make OS X recognize the drive... And this seems to be the 64gb version. Could be different with the 128 gb version. Anyway, could be providing a clue to solve the problems people have!

For RunCore: keep up the good work, let's hope we have a solution sometime soon!

Dennis

Comment

It's seem like unsteadiness...

Comment

Could you tell us how you got your's working?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Almeida View Post
                  It's seem like unsteadiness...
                  What do you mean?

Additional question for Matt, how can we set it on master instead of CS? is it a setting in the firmware?

Regards

Gilles

Comment

hi

Comment

@Chris .Liu

? so what

Comment

hi guys, our design team is testing now, but not all of the zif ssd perform fine in Mac rev A. But they work excellent in other models, maybe Mac rev A has some compatible issues with zif ssd.
                        Sorry for the inconvenient, but just calm down, we will find the root cause ASAP, and help you guys out.

Comment

It is nice to hear that you also get the problem, but should I remind you that the SSD we bought was badged "for Macbook air Rev A" so either it wasn't tested or ......

So I cannot accept that the fault is one way or the other pushed on the machine (MBA) side.

GillesB

Comment

Originally posted by GillesB View Post
                            It is nice to hear that you also get the problem, but should I remind you that the SSD we bought was badged "for Macbook air Rev A" so either it wasn't tested or ......

So I cannot accept that the fault is one way or the other pushed on the machine (MBA) side.

GillesB
                            I agree with GillesB. The sole reason to buy this SSD drive was the fact that it was tagged as being compatible with the MacBook Air Rev. A.
                            I hope RunCore will provide good post-sales service, or are willing to take back the drive if they don't fix the problems!

Dennis

Comment

hi gilles don't doubt about the strict QA in the factory, we tested all the ssd well before shipping. Maybe Mac have some hareware or software changes, and also MacWorld wants to do a review on both of our 1.8" MacBook Air products.
                              I will update the latest info

Comment

It's may be need more day to slove the solution.And now we have more deep tset for MBA.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X