No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Originally posted by kleykenb View Post
    Hi,

To be clear : what I said was not a "Workaround" : the sleep/hibernation problem I had was caused by a bug in Snow Leopard and it never came back after I changed my resolution to 1152x720 and then right back to 1280x800. I just thought that some of the hibernate/sleep problems that people see here MAY not be caused by the Runcore SSD firmware problem but by what I saw. In any case, setting your resolution lower and then right back that one time isn't gonna hurt anyone so it's worth the try.

Best regards,
    Benny
    !GOOD!

Comment

• Originally posted by vipnyc View Post
      Matt - this isn't an acceptable solution. If you are truly apologetic and would like to make this up to those of us who have been early adopters and have been trying to support you on this here's what I suggest.

1.) You send a new drive to us with the update firmware. If you need to to take a refundable credit card deposit or something that's fine. I don't have an issue with that.
      2.) You (runcore) sends us postage paid shipping or your UPS account # and we can repackage the drive and send it in the material you have sent us.
      3.) You eliminate us having to deal with each retailer and runcore take responsibility for this. We have been free QA testers for a defective product.

You have to understand that these drives are already in our system and for many of us this computer is the main computer we use. Your solution would require the following steps for me.
      1.) Backup the old SSD to the old drive.
      2.) Uninstall the old SSD
      3.) Reinstall the old drive
      4.) Wait for the new SSD
      5.) Backup the old drive to the new SSD
      6.) Install the new SSD.

This is simply not acceptable. To quote another poster --- You can't be serious. Opening up my computer 3 times and backing up the drive and sending it back and forth just doesn't work.

Please send us new drives, we'll go through the hassle of backing up and uninstalling the old drive and send it to you at your expense.

Thanks

Comment

Still waiting anxiously for a green to go on the 128GB SSD for MBA Rev. A.

Is there an independant review comming up Matt? On the 23rd of September you wrote:

I would spill the beans on the specs but Dan Frakes over at MacWorld will be reviewing it in the next week or so and I want it to be a surprise.
        Suprise me

Comment

I agree with Potek, you should handle this correctly, as an early adopter I "paid" already for the problems (time and efforts), so I would appreciate that you set a proper exchange program.

Comment

I just received the Runcore RCP-IV-ZA1832-C Solid State Drive for Macbook AIR Rev A. Took my Air apart and installed the SSD drive. I booted up my MB AIR with my superdrive attached and my OSX CD in the drive...I went to the disk utility and could not see the Runcore SSD Drive! My regular drive is toast and I can't clone from it... Do they not expect some of us may have a crashed drive and are using the Runcore SSD to replace it?!

How do I do this to get my Air to see the drive?! Any help would be greatly appreciated

TIA

LarryB

Comment

Go into utilities in the OS X setup program, and then partition your drive in HF journaled and in advanced select GUID.
              Gilles

Comment

I did... but the Runcore SSD is not displayed in the drives it sees/recognizes... The only thing in the list is my superdrive and the OSX DVD... Runcore can't assume everyone can just clone their drives... when you have a crashed drive you need to be able to replace your crashed HDD with the SDD then boot from CD and have it seen/recognized and then you can format it etc to get it ready for the OSX, but If it's not recognized then your screwed...

LarryB

Comment

In this case that means your drive isn't compatible with your MBA, you have to return it to your Vendor (look on the first pages of this thread)

Comment

Serial number: W8813AHJY51
                    Name: MacBook air
                    Model: Mxxxx MacBook air 1.6GHz
                    Group1: MacBook
                    Group2: Air
                    Generation:
                    ModelCode: mb_air
                    CPU speed: 1.6GHz
                    Bus speed: 800MHz
                    Screen size: 13 inch
                    Screen resolution: 1280x800 pixels
                    Colour: Aluminium
                    Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)
                    External link: Technical specifications by apple-history.com
                    Model introduced: 2008
                    Production year: 2008
                    Production week: 13 (April)
                    Production number: 12156 (within this week)

So mine is a rev A, so it should see it...

Comment

it isn't your MBA that isn't compatible, it is your SSD thst isn't with the right Firmware thus making it incompatible with your MBA.

Comment

The ZIF cable is a pain to connect properly (and fragile, too). Hate to say it but you might try cracking open your case again and reseating the cable. I reused my original cable because the new drive didn't come with a compatible one.

Comment

Thank-you for your quick responses... even thouDrive i bought states it is a ght the SSD for a MBA Rev A? ... That is the reason I waited this long was to get the correct version...From reading the other messages in this thread and others Runcore was releasing the correct compatible SSD.. I bought this from MyDigitalDiscount.com and was backordered so I assumed I was getting the fixed version....

Comment

Originally posted by MTCca View Post
                            Thank-you for your quick responses... even thouDrive i bought states it is a ght the SSD for a MBA Rev A? ... That is the reason I waited this long was to get the correct version...From reading the other messages in this thread and others Runcore was releasing the correct compatible SSD.. I bought this from MyDigitalDiscount.com and was backordered so I assumed I was getting the fixed version....
                            To check whether you have connected correctly. Firstly, you connect the SSD to the MBA via USB cable, confirm the RunCore SSD whether can be recognized. If it can be recognized, then connected to the MBA with ZIF cable.

The 1.8" ZIF SSD install on MBA rev A you can refer to this web:

RUNCORE IV PRO 128

Connect the 1.8" ZIF SSD to the USB case by ZIF cable you can refer to the following picture:
                            Attached Files

Comment

To resolve the 'freeze waking from sleep' issue with firmware 1571, MDD replaced my 128GB for Rev A with a new drive, firmware 1819.

Cold boot works fine. Restarts always result in this:

YouTube - MacOSX/MacBook Startup Error HELP!!!

Just a bad drive or another firmware issue???

Comment

Found this recent thread on the runcore SSD in MBA rev.A. Seems these people don't get any, or very few, issues with the 128GB Firware 1819 version.

Rev. A MBA with Runcore SSD upgrade - Mac Forums

Comment

Working...
                                X