MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by j0yk View Post
    To resolve the 'freeze waking from sleep' issue with firmware 1571, MDD replaced my 128GB for Rev A with a new drive, firmware 1819.

Cold boot works fine. Restarts always result in this:

YouTube - MacOSX/MacBook Startup Error HELP!!!

Just a bad drive or another firmware issue???

Comment

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Matt,

It's been 5 days and I haven't heard back from you. Please tell me that you are going to do the right thing and are working on it and not just ignoring us hoping we'll go away.

I'm getting frustrated/disappointed.
      Q9550 Stepping E0
      Thermaltake CL-P0370 TMG i1 CPU Cooler
      GA-EP45-UD3P 1.6 Bios FE
      2gb x 4 OCZ Gold PC2-8500 DDR2 5-6-6-18 2.10v (http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...b_dual_channel)
      OCZ Vertex SSD 64gb (Firmware 1.5)
      Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb Sata
      Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1tb eSata
      2 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Graphics Cards
      Corsair TX750 PSU
      Antec Sonata 3 Case

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Comment

Originally posted by kleykenb View Post
        ATA Bus:

RunCore 64G-C SSD:

Capacity: 64,02 GB (64.023.257.088 bytes)
        Model: RunCore 64G-C SSD
        Revision: 1571
        Serial Number: RC0900025958
        Removable Media: No
        Detachable Drive: No
        BSD Name: disk0
        Protocol: ATA
        Unit Number: 0
        Socket Type: Internal
        Low Power Polling: No
        Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
        S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
        Volumes:
        RUNCORE SSD:
        Capacity: 64,02 GB (64.017.321.984 bytes)
        Available: 14,81 GB (14.806.659.072 bytes)
        Writable: Yes
        File System: Journaled HFS+
        BSD Name: disk0s1
        Mount Point: /

Firmware version is : 1571
        Ok, I've got the Runcore SSD with firmware 1571 since a week or two and although it did not show up at first I now do have the sleep/wake turning ball issue too. My SSD did not come from MyDigitalDiscount.com btw. But I do think that Matt nor MyDigitalDiscount.com can hardly be held responsible for the problem so the bashing in some posts is not very fair. Hopefully Runcore comes up with a solution other than sending the disks back... I'm going to see if I can find a firmware somewhere and install it myself and apparantly 1819 is not the latest firmware around anymore, firmware 1848 now seems to be the talk of the 'town' on the net ?! But I also read somewhere that Idelinx is very cautious about who it gives the new firmwares to, my feeling is that the firmware all have bugs and therefor Idelinx only wants to provide in those situations and to those companies that own a lot of identical drives so they can first test the firmware properly before releasing it.
        After all, we may all think that we've seen the worst of what a firmware can do to an SSD disk but a firmware with a hidden bug (and I assume they expect there are still many of those) can put a company out of business and seen the bad rep that Runcore already has from it's previous firmwares I'm not suprised they are reluctant to make any steps. Once bitten, twice shy. Better a semi-working product than bricking a large portion of your customer base.
        Last edited by kleykenb; 12-03-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Just FYI, no response from RunCore ([email protected]) or MDD, even Twitter @RunCore, after >48 hrs so sent second email request on whether the restart issue is a firmware issue or a defective drive.

Correction: My bad on the Tweet... had them protected.
          Last edited by j0yk; 12-04-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Please also uncheck in your Energy Saving options the option "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep".
            Since I unchecked that option a week ago I have not had any running balls balls when the notebook returned from sleep.

Comment

I installed a Runcore on my macbook air Rev. A. It worked fine for a while, but twice I have had to reinstall the system because it won't boot (will not go beyond the grey apple screen). Any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

Now I am not doing a recovery but a clean installation and the system said it could not copy the files to the disk. However, when running disk utility's verify disk, it appears ok.

Hints, anyone?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by vipnyc View Post

"" just ignoring us hoping we'll go away."""

I'm getting frustrated/disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by mjmolano View Post
                  I installed a Runcore on my macbook air Rev. A. It worked fine for a while, but twice I have had to reinstall the system because it won't boot (will not go beyond the grey apple screen). Any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

Now I am not doing a recovery but a clean installation and the system said it could not copy the files to the disk. However, when running disk utility's verify disk, it appears ok.

Hints, anyone?

Thanks in advance
                  I think you have little choice but to get the SSD out of your macbook air and then put it in the metal case you got with the RunCore and connect it to the USB port.
                  Then hold the Alt key pressed right after you press the power button on the MBA and try to boot your MBA from the USB connected SSD drive.
                  If that boots then you probably have a bad cable or the cable was not connected correctly but to be sure you could also try to install MacOS on the SSD while you have the disk connected to USB to make extra sure.
                  Also, since you're going to have the MBA open anyway reinstall the old HDD back in the system because it will make other tests possible.

Comment

Hello ,

i wish to buy the Runcore SSD for y Macbook Air which is equipped with a very slow HD as it was the first macbook Air sold in France...
                    However i am not able to install the ssd :where could i go to get someone doing it safely for me in Paris France.@
                    Thank you for your answer

Comment

This is just poor. Anyone have any suggestions here? Is there anyone from Runcore on this board?
                      Q9550 Stepping E0
                      Thermaltake CL-P0370 TMG i1 CPU Cooler
                      GA-EP45-UD3P 1.6 Bios FE
                      2gb x 4 OCZ Gold PC2-8500 DDR2 5-6-6-18 2.10v (http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...b_dual_channel)
                      OCZ Vertex SSD 64gb (Firmware 1.5)
                      Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb Sata
                      Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1tb eSata
                      2 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Graphics Cards
                      Corsair TX750 PSU
                      Antec Sonata 3 Case

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Comment

Originally posted by flyglobe View Post
                        Hello ,

i wish to buy the Runcore SSD for y Macbook Air which is equipped with a very slow HD as it was the first macbook Air sold in France...
                        However i am not able to install the ssd :where could i go to get someone doing it safely for me in Paris France.@
                        Thank you for your answer
                        Hi flyglobe,

Anyone can DIY it. It's not difficult. I swapped mine in less than 10min. Step by step instructions here:

Installing MacBook Air Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit

You can skip Steps 3 to 7 as you are only taking out and replacing the hdd. Make sure you get the right version (ZIF of PATA or LIF for SATA II) for your Mac Air.

Comment

• Originally posted by vipnyc View Post
                          This is just poor. Anyone have any suggestions here? Is there anyone from Runcore on this board?

Comment

Anyone that needs a drive replacement or FW uprade please email [email protected] with your order info and we will get you an RMA and work out any special requests you may have on an individual basis.

Matt

Comment

Matt, thats Bull**** and you know it...

You seem to have done lots to help USA users, but those of us non USA are out in the cold...

by email, and on this forum, i am getting NOTHING...

I still have the problem of UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with my runcore in my PC, nobody will tell me how to determine my firmware version...

The only solution I have seen tor the problem above seems to be to run chkdisk /r from the XP install disc, (yes I have one) and that has come from Microsoft.

I did note that there seems to be a problem with some of the IDE drives set to CS, instead of Master...

My particular Runcore is a 2 1/2" IDE Pro IV, there should be provision for jumpering beside the IDE interface, but the drive install and support documentation is so lousy, nothing is said....

Seems China, which loves using CS in IDE systems doesnt realise us westerners like using the Master/Slave with jumpers configuration...

Such a Happy thought that I could simply fit a 2mm jumper to some external pins on my SSD HDD and all my problems disappear...

But MY thread has never ever been answered...

Comment

Hello, Blue Screen.
                                Email to: [email protected]
                                We will send you a document about the jumper setting.

Comment

Working...
                                X