No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

the 2 1/2" drive is housed in a nice sexy black aluminium case with lil Warranty Void stickers on...

There is jumpers beside the 44-pin IDE connector, but nooooooooooooooooooo info on the label to advise how to set the suckers...

these dummies think too, cos its a 2 1/2" drive it's gotta be in a laptop... Pfffttt!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_Screen View Post
      I still have the problem of UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with my runcore in my PC, nobody will tell me how to determine my firmware version...
      DOS-based MHDD can tell you firmware revision and do a read test on the SSD. Second alternatives tools: Seatool or ftool from the Hard drive Diagnostic Tools And Utilities can also tell you the firmware version.

the 2 1/2" drive is housed in a nice sexy black aluminium case with lil Warranty Void stickers on...

There is jumpers beside the 44-pin IDE connector, but nooooooooooooooooooo info on the label to advise how to set the suckers...

these dummies think too, cos its a 2 1/2" drive it's gotta be in a laptop... Pfffttt!!!
      If you're not getting any data on master/slave jumpers, if you have a digital multimeter can see which jumper passes continuity test when placed against Jmicron's JM20330 sata-to-pata chip pin 33 (MSSEL). MSSEL sets master (logic 0/GND) or slave mode (logic 1/3.3V). Pinout and datasheet are shown here.
      Last edited by nando4; 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM.
      DIY ViDock O/C HP dualIDA | PLL pinmod | grub2 loader Storage 1.8" ZIF SSDs: ProIV, Photofast V4 | ODD caddy SSD/HDD | e-sata/usb

Now: 12" HP 2510P [email protected] 2GB 64GB ProIV SSD + 500GB.caddy + GTX470/3dmark.vant=P5561 | Win7/64 XP.sp3 Ubuntu9.10
      Now: 14" Compaq CQ41 i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB + GTX470@x2/3dmark.vant=P10481 | Win7/64
      Next(Q1.2011): Sandy Bridge + pci-e 3.0 + GTX470-OC/3dmark06=22k

Comment

Originally posted by nando4 View Post
        If you're not getting any data on master/slave jumpers, if you have a digital multimeter can see which jumper passes continuity test when placed against Jmicron's JM20330 sata-to-pata chip pin 33 (MSSEL). MSSEL sets master (logic 0/GND) or slave mode (logic 1/3.3V). Pinout and datasheet are shown here.
        I have no wish, just yet, to open up the housing of this drive...
        Attached Files

Comment

Was reading the topic even if I'm using a Kingspec SSD (KSD-ZF18.1-032MJ) to upgrade my MBA Rev A.

Does anybody knows where I can buy another ZIF Apple Cable (Marked Foxconn NKCH22) cause the one in my Air is giving problem, to have the old HD and the SSD working (I could boot a few time and install and run properly Leopard snow) I have to belt it. Maybe I was too rude or the cable was nearly gone.

I tried on ebay without success,

thanks for any help about where to get a new one!!!

Simone.

Comment

Originally posted by kleykenb View Post
            I think you have little choice but to get the SSD out of your macbook air and then put it in the metal case you got with the RunCore and connect it to the USB port.
            Then hold the Alt key pressed right after you press the power button on the MBA and try to boot your MBA from the USB connected SSD drive.
            If that boots then you probably have a bad cable or the cable was not connected correctly but to be sure you could also try to install MacOS on the SSD while you have the disk connected to USB to make extra sure.
            Also, since you're going to have the MBA open anyway reinstall the old HDD back in the system because it will make other tests possible.
            I did that. And reformatted the disk. It clones and works fine but when trying to boot the computer from USB using the disk, I get the multi-language giant on/off switch that says 'you have to restart the computer'. I start it from the original disk and now the Runcore is corrupted according to Disk Utility (invalid extent entry, invalid node structure). After that, the disk won't repair and won't run.

Comment

Belt it?

Dumbass!

Comment

Belt it?

Dumbass!
                We have sent a email to you.

Comment

Originally posted by mjmolano View Post
                  I did that. And reformatted the disk. It clones and works fine but when trying to boot the computer from USB using the disk, I get the multi-language giant on/off switch that says 'you have to restart the computer'. I start it from the original disk and now the Runcore is corrupted according to Disk Utility (invalid extent entry, invalid node structure). After that, the disk won't repair and won't run.
                  Firstly, connect the SSD to MacBook by the USB case.

Secondly, create(select the GUID Partition Table in the option) and format as HFS+ in the partition of Disk Utility.

Thirdly, clone the mac os of original driver to the new RunCore ssd by Carbon Copy Cloner.

Lastly, using the RunCore SSD to replace the original driver.
                  Last edited by RunCore Tech_Support; 01-05-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simone37 View Post
                    Was reading the topic even if I'm using a Kingspec SSD (KSD-ZF18.1-032MJ) to upgrade my MBA Rev A.

Does anybody knows where I can buy another ZIF Apple Cable (Marked Foxconn NKCH22) cause the one in my Air is giving problem, to have the old HD and the SSD working (I could boot a few time and install and run properly Leopard snow) I have to belt it. Maybe I was too rude or the cable was nearly gone.

I tried on ebay without success,

thanks for any help about where to get a new one!!!

Simone.
                    Maybe you can connect the Apple Service for a new one.
                    Because we are unable to buy an apple ZIF cable elsewhere.

Comment

Belt it?

Dumbass!
                      The original hard disk was not working any more as well, so the cable had problem, 99% was the cable, and with a little bit of physical experiment (belting) now I know it is the cable. Actually now I remember hearing sometimes the hard disk clicking (it was a switch off) when using the macbook air. Maybe it was the cable already giving some problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cc101 View Post
                        thanks,
                        I definitely will try to contact them,
                        up to know no luck on the Internet!
                        I guess I would need to find somebody with a broken MBA Rev A selling it in pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by RunCore Tech_Support View Post
                          Firstly, connect the SSD to MacBook by the USB case.

Secondly, create(select the GUID Partition Table in the option) and format as HFS+ in the partition of Disk Utility.

Thirdly, clone the mac os of original driver to the new RunCore ssd by Carbon Copy Cloner.

Lastly, using the RunCore SSD to replace the original driver.
                          I have done that already a few times. First, the installation was foolproof, and the disk worked for a couple of weeks. Then, the MBAir would not boot anymore. So I took it out and I am trying to repeat the formatting/cloning procedure via USB. Only that after formatting and cloning, the disk has all sort of weird errors. Maybe my ZIF connectors are dirty or broken after so much plugging and unplugging, or maybe something happened to the disk. Any ideas?

Comment

there is no relays etc inside the drive, there should be no sounds at all, the entire device is solid state components.

shocks will only serve to weaken physical contact connections, and can even damage weak solder joints.

Comment

Originally posted by cc101 View Post
                              Apple iPod Accessory iPod Accessories Mac Software Mac Memory Apple Repair Store might be an option

Comment

Originally posted by mjmolano View Post
                                I have done that already a few times. First, the installation was foolproof, and the disk worked for a couple of weeks. Then, the MBAir would not boot anymore. So I took it out and I am trying to repeat the formatting/cloning procedure via USB. Only that after formatting and cloning, the disk has all sort of weird errors. Maybe my ZIF connectors are dirty or broken after so much plugging and unplugging, or maybe something happened to the disk. Any ideas?
                                I believe something is wrong with the 200 MB EFI partition at the beginning of the disk. Does anyone know how to restore it? I have no backup of it...

Comment

Working...
                                X