No announcement yet.

MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Searching on google for indilinx 1819 firmware does get you a lot of hits... It is said that crucial usese the standard indilinx fw and they have 1819 on their site since last month... If it is the exact same fw i don't know.

in the changelog it says :

Comment

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8" Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Originally posted by Runcore Marketing View Post
      I have some potentially very good news guys.

We found a MBA Rev A SSD that gave us the same error as you guys got and just tried a new FW from Indilinx and bam no problem for 25 cycles of Sleep and Hibernate. I actually have a drive on its way to MyDigitalDiscount.com allready upgraded. I would like to send to one of you guys ASAP for further confirmation. Who is closest to NY and bought your drive from MyDigitalDiscount.com so we can get some answers fast? Please call MDD to be the 1st to change to the new drive and FW.
      I would tell you all to upgrade to the New FW now but we just want to make sure as Indilinx is not even releasing the FW for another 2 weeks.

Also even more good news - for others that are having this problem in other computers it seems to fix them as well.

I will keep you all posted but it seems like this drive is going to be perfected within a week or less. Thanks for the help and great feedback guys. Now we will start tackling some of the other threads here. We are developing a solid support structure for you guys at this time so in the future things are much more organized.

Matt
      So once the new Indilinx firmware is officially out, will we be able to upgrade the firmware using OSX? Or will I need to plug in the drive to a windows machine?

Comment

• not solved for me

Originally posted by Martijn View Post
        *** EDITED ON 6-10-2009 ***:

For 'first-time-readers' of this thread: RunCore has solved the problem with an newly designed drive... Check from page 14 and futher for details on that...

*** END EDIT****

Just a few days ago I recieved the long awaited RunCore 1.8" SSD.

So I instantly, I had to put the new drive in my Macbook Air (Rev. A)!

I Did, but the result is that it isn't working at all sofar.

<...DELETED...>

Yesterday I received a RunCore 128GB SSD for MacBook Air. It has part number RCP-IV-ZA1828-C and is directly from one of RunCore's distributors.

However, it is not visible in my MacBook Air. Similar to problem reported by Martijn in the original post in this thread. Given the reports of success I am suspecting that I may be dealing with an unscrupulous dealer. They knew that I was putting it in an MBA and not some other computer in which it might work.

In any event, I would be interested in whether a RunCore representative (Matt ???) could provide the serial numbers of drives that have the fix. I suspect mine is an older one? I've contacted Runcore support to see about getting the drive replaced. However, if it is the original problem then I am disappointed by the distributor.

Also, it would be helpful if RunCore's part numbers included a revision code of some form to reflect these fixes.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I am disappointed and it seems like the buyer might need to beware for a bit longer.

Lastly, I note in one of Matt's posts that the drive would be "...perfect within a week or less...". What of the imperfect drives which still may be out there?

I'll post back an update once I get some resolution.
        Last edited by rkv; 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8&quot; Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

A quick update. Both RunCore and the Distributor have been extremely responsive regarding the problem. I heard from the distributor at their start of day and within hours of China coming online on Monday, the distributor had heard back from RunCore with some suggested tests. They also confirmed that given the serial number it should work in my MacBook Air Rev A and was not one of the drives with which there had been problems.

For the moment it's looking like it may just be a faulty drive. I'm hoping to get it back to the distributor today.

I have noticed one item where at least for my particular SSD, the drive cable retaining flap on the RunCore SSD does not appear to lock down the drive cable as securely as the original Samsung drive. This is both with the internal Apple cable as well with the ribbon cable in the RunCore supplied USB housing. I don't think this is the cause of my problem. However, it is a mechanical difference between the Apple supplied drive and at least my particular variant of the RunCore SSD.

Comment

• Re: MacBook Air Rev A with RunCore 1.8&quot; Pro IV PATA ZIF Drive *ZIF PROBLEMS*

Matt - can we get an update on this.

Thanks

I have some potentially very good news guys.

We found a MBA Rev A SSD that gave us the same error as you guys got and just tried a new FW from Indilinx and bam no problem for 25 cycles of Sleep and Hibernate. I actually have a drive on its way to MyDigitalDiscount.com allready upgraded. I would like to send to one of you guys ASAP for further confirmation. Who is closest to NY and bought your drive from MyDigitalDiscount.com so we can get some answers fast? Please call MDD to be the 1st to change to the new drive and FW.
            I would tell you all to upgrade to the New FW now but we just want to make sure as Indilinx is not even releasing the FW for another 2 weeks.

Also even more good news - for others that are having this problem in other computers it seems to fix them as well.

I will keep you all posted but it seems like this drive is going to be perfected within a week or less. Thanks for the help and great feedback guys. Now we will start tackling some of the other threads here. We are developing a solid support structure for you guys at this time so in the future things are much more organized.

Matt
            Q9550 Stepping E0
            Thermaltake CL-P0370 TMG i1 CPU Cooler
            GA-EP45-UD3P 1.6 Bios FE
            2gb x 4 OCZ Gold PC2-8500 DDR2 5-6-6-18 2.10v (http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...b_dual_channel)
            OCZ Vertex SSD 64gb (Firmware 1.5)
            Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb Sata
            Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1tb eSata
            2 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Graphics Cards
            Corsair TX750 PSU
            Antec Sonata 3 Case

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Comment

One of our engineers is still working on the instructions. I have told him we have a deadline of the end of this week.

Matt

Comment

Darn, I ordered this drive just now , I guess I could still cancel the order ...
                bit in limbo now wondering what I got myself into this time ...

So, can all people that now have the "64GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD Solid" let me know how they are doing with the drive ?
                is the issue fixed or not ?

greets,
                Benny

Comment

FYI everyone I got the FW instructions but they are in Chinese English if ya know what I mean and I am going to have to redo them and also experiment and do the upgrade myself. I hope to have them up for Monday night.

Benny any drives that we ship now are going to have the upgraded FW on them so don't worry you are all set.

Matt

Comment

Aside from this issue - the drive is great. New life into my favorite laptop.

Originally posted by kleykenb View Post
                    Darn, I ordered this drive just now , I guess I could still cancel the order ...
                    bit in limbo now wondering what I got myself into this time ...

So, can all people that now have the "64GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" PATA ZIF SSD Solid" let me know how they are doing with the drive ?
                    is the issue fixed or not ?

greets,
                    Benny
                    Q9550 Stepping E0
                    Thermaltake CL-P0370 TMG i1 CPU Cooler
                    GA-EP45-UD3P 1.6 Bios FE
                    2gb x 4 OCZ Gold PC2-8500 DDR2 5-6-6-18 2.10v (http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...b_dual_channel)
                    OCZ Vertex SSD 64gb (Firmware 1.5)
                    Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb Sata
                    Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1tb eSata
                    2 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Graphics Cards
                    Corsair TX750 PSU
                    Antec Sonata 3 Case

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Comment

If I follow these responses, all of the Runcore SSDs will now work (because of new firmware already installed) in a MacBook Air Rev A (they are recognized and I'll be able to clone before installing). Also, does anyone know when the 128 GBs (Part#: RCP-IV-ZA1828-C) will return to stock? Thanks!

Comment

Ok I hate to say this guys, but for anyone with the old FW and wants the Sleep/Hibernate issue fixed you are going to have to send your drives back for a FW update.

I have been trying all week to figure this new FW update out via USB and it does work but as someone posted before it does not work as well as it should. When doing it via USB for some reason it affects the performance of the drive. The only way to make it work properly is to send it back to the Runcore factory and have them do the FW via the chip itself not via USB. Looks like they are going to have to dissect these puppies.

I am so very sorry about this guys I wish there was something I could do to make it up to you. I am sure most of you will be happy to send them back because you see how great the drives is and don't care if it takes walking on hot coal to get the drive back into your computer. The only thing I can promise is that we will turn your drive around within 24hours of it hitting the factory in China.

I suggest to get the ball rolling you contact the vendor whom you purchased the drive from or simple send it to the HangZhou China facility with a clear document with your personal info and the status of the drive.

Matt Dawson
                        Runcore

Comment

Matt

I was notified my order for mydigitaldiscount.com for the 128Gb SSD was shipped today. How do I know if this SSD has the latest firmware? Is there a serial number or diagnostics I can run to check?

I rather not rip my MacBook Air apart, install the SSD, find out it has the sleep problem, only have rip it apart again to remove the SSD and ship it to China. I rather skip those steps.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok I hate to say this guys, but for anyone with the old FW and wants the Sleep/Hibernate issue fixed you are going to have to send your drives back for a FW update.

I have been trying all week to figure this new FW update out via USB and it does work but as someone posted before it does not work as well as it should. When doing it via USB for some reason it affects the performance of the drive. The only way to make it work properly is to send it back to the Runcore factory and have them do the FW via the chip itself not via USB. Looks like they are going to have to dissect these puppies.
                            Hi Matt,

Could you please send me the 1819 firmware to attempt to flash? I've send you an email. I'd be booting either off either a DOS USB stick if it's a DOS-based flasher, or the slave HDD on the optical bay interface off my 2510P into Windows if it's Windows-based.

I had already tried the Crucial/Supertalent 1819 firmware, hacked the update binary with the Runcore ProIV ID string, which then detects SSD drive, but then appears to do some checksumming against the ID string to prevent flash upgrade.

Nando
                            DIY ViDock O/C HP dualIDA | PLL pinmod | grub2 loader Storage 1.8" ZIF SSDs: ProIV, Photofast V4 | ODD caddy SSD/HDD | e-sata/usb

Now: 12" HP 2510P [email protected] 2GB 64GB ProIV SSD + 500GB.caddy + GTX470/3dmark.vant=P5561 | Win7/64 XP.sp3 Ubuntu9.10
                            Now: 14" Compaq CQ41 i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB + GTX470@x2/3dmark.vant=P10481 | Win7/64
                            Next(Q1.2011): Sandy Bridge + pci-e 3.0 + GTX470-OC/3dmark06=22k

Comment

• Last edited by poteck; 11-21-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vipnyc View Post
                                Aside from this issue - the drive is great. New life into my favorite laptop.
                                Hi all,

Just something that may or may not be of interest to some of you with the sleep/hibernate problem :
                                I had a similar problem right after I upgraded my Macbook Air to Snow Leopard (2 weeks ago), not instantly but after the first of Apple's Updates had run.
                                I thought I had a faulty HDD at that point (which is actually the main reason I bougth the RunCore SSD as a replacement) only to find out a couple of days later that I could fix the issue by simply switching the LED display to a lower resolution and then back to the highest resolution!

Also I'd like to confirm that I got my PATA Runcore IV SSD and have no problems with it (no sleep/hibernate issue), so I am delighted with it. But since there are two types of the Runcore 1.8" Pro IV I do not know if that is really relevant to this thread, mine is probably a later version.

greets,
                                Benny
                                Last edited by kleykenb; 11-23-2009, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X