Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

MCH 1.16 is for sure not enough. I use 1.24+ with only 4GB. I would be trying 1.24-1.34 and see if you have any luck that way, and more Vtt for sure as well.

If your ram is rated 1.9, that may be ok. But if not then it is not enough, either way I would use a little more. Like if it is 1.9V ram I would use 1.95-2.0

tRD is Static tRead Value, sorry for not saying! Set that to 10 or 12 for now

Like I said, I blame settings first and you have not been trying the correct ones loose enough or with enough voltage to start out with. So I still think as of now it is all in your settings.

You can contact Gigabyte here at the Tech Support link, sounds like you have already right? >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-09-2009, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      MCH 1.16 is for sure not enough. I use 1.24+ with only 4GB. I would be trying 1.24-1.34 and see if you have any luck that way, and more Vtt for sure as well.
      Well I can use my 2x2GB G.Skill 800 ram with MCH=Normal[1.100] & RAM=Normal [1.800]. Also I can use 3 OCZ 4GB modules [out of the 4], for a total of 12GB, with default MCH/RAM voltages without any problems!

If your ram is rated 1.9, that may be ok. But if not then it is not enough, either way I would use a little more. Like if it is 1.9V ram I would use 1.95-2.0
      I have tried upping the RAM voltage all they way upto 2.2, but the random reboots didn't stop.

Have set the tRD value to 12 for the current test, but reboots still occured

Like I said, I blame settings first and you have not been trying the correct ones loose enough or with enough voltage to start out with. So I still think as of now it is all in your settings.
      I think you're omitting all the other facts! A DQ6 board can run 16GB of the exact ram that I have, OCZ Platinum series, or Mushkin without any voltage/timing modifications! pfak stated he is running 3x4GB OCZ+1x4GB Aeneon without any problem, but cannot with 4x4GB OCZ.

Also the fact that its been more than a month since this problem was reported by me/pfak and that we are not average users, should also give you an idea that we tried almost every timing/voltage settign there is!

Because of Gigabytes [non]support/cooperation, I can't figure out if the BIOS does'nt have proper support for 16GB of RAM or if the board engineering was deliberately crippled so buyers would have to opt for a more expensive model!

You can contact Gigabyte here at the Tech Support link, sounds like you have already right? >>>
      I have started a support ticket more than a month ago with them & they have been no help at all! After replacing the RAM from OCZ, they're not saying much anymore!

At this point I am not even sure if there is anything more I can try to make the board work properly. But how do I go about requesting a Gigabyte replace my board with a P45 model that is known to work with 16GB RAM, or will they simply refund my UD3P purchase?

Let me add the following:
      Originally posted by mv2devnull View Post
      matm got (different) ocz (and I got mushkin) working on ep45-dq6 by doing essentially nothing.

But that does not tell anything about ud3p and the other ocz memory ...
      Last edited by asahito; 03-09-2009, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Lsdmeasap, check the end of my last post [#77], where I quoted mv2devnull.

Gigabyte support techs are very useful, I can see! More than a month later & they're still harping the same tune, its either the RAM or the more favorite "its not our fault!"; do they look at the thread in this forum, at all?

"The board can use 16gb of memory, but we are unable to guarantee the stability of your memory."
        What kind of Contradictory statement is that? If the board can handle up to 16GB of RAM but cannot do so stably then either Gigabyte made a false statement about the UD3P support that amount of RAM, knowingly!

What good is putting 16GB into a motherboard if it cannot even boot into an OS?

"If you feel your memory is not the issue you may send in the board for us to further examine and can submit your request to the below website

http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com"
        I am sure memory is not the issue, I have replaced the modules that were causing errors in memtest86+ v2.11 & the new modules did not produce any errors after 13+ hours of stress testing.

Also can you please explain to me the logic behind examining my board? If 16GB of OCZ Platinum RAM works in a EP45-DQ6 board but does not work in EP45-UD3P what does that say about the UD3P? Also Mushkin works in the DQ6 board.

You can eliminate the possibility of whether if this is just my board or the entire UD3P lines physical/BIOS problem. Besides me another user, pfak, in the Gigabyte support forum has started a thread regarding the same problem. He has a 16GB OCZ kit & a UD3P board too.

If you really want to figure out if it is my specific board or the UD3P board or its BIOS, why dont you ask your engineers to test a 16GB OCZ Gold/Platinum series RAM on the UD3P & the DQ6 boards. That should make it clear if its the UD3P board, its BIOS are the problem or just my/pfak's individual boards.

How can I contact the UD3P board & BIOS engineers, so I can directly convey to them the problem & work with them to remedy it; I can offer to beta test any BIOS release geared towards solving this problem.
        Last edited by asahito; 03-09-2009, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

There is nothing wrong with the mainboard, me and asahito have the same board with the exact same problem!

Gigabyte support is probably the most useless support I have ever had when dealing with a mainboard manufacturer. They make ASUS support look good, I get one sentence responses half the time!

Comment

Originally posted by pfak View Post
            There is nothing wrong with the mainboard, me and asahito have the same board with the exact same problem!

Gigabyte support is probably the most useless support I have ever had when dealing with a mainboard manufacturer. They make ASUS support look good, I get one sentence responses half the time!
            RyderOCZ from OCZ Forum Home, the official OCZ support forum, has placed the blamed squarely on Gigabyte for not responding.
            We have not received any further response from Gigabyte, no. I checked the logs this morning.
            OCZ2VU80016GQ inconsistently failing memtest86+ - Page 3 - OCZ Forum

Comment

Originally posted by asahito View Post
              RyderOCZ from OCZ Forum Home, the official OCZ support forum, has placed the blamed squarely on Gigabyte for not responding.

All we do is watch them each others.

Let go rumble !!!

(OCZ VS GIGABYTE) round 1.

pg
              Last edited by powergiga; 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM.
              GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
              New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
              G
              .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
              MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
              PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
              Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

as usual, useless gigabyte tech support

We do not have OCZ OCZ2G80016GQ memory in our lab so we used Samsung M378T5263AZ3-CF7 DDR2 800 4GB X 4. As you can see it has passed memtest for more than 3 hours with no errors. As you can see from below QVL OCZ2G8008GK was verified and tested to be working ok. If you feel there maybe an issue with the board you may send in for us to further examine.
                The QVL for OCZ2G8008GK says Single & Dual Channel, which means at most 2 modules were tested at the same time, and not 4.

Also, why didn't Gigabyte respond to OCZ's request for an exchange, where Gigabyte sends them boards & receive RAM in return for QVL/testing? OCZ has squarely put the blame on Gigabyte, they say they have initiated contact with Gigabyte but never got a reply.

OCZ2VU80016GQ inconsistently failing memtest86+ - Page 2 - OCZ Forum
                02-18-2009, 12:40 PM Post #27
                "Are you dealing with Gigabyte directly in Taiwan?

Posted from our Field issues database:

JN (OCZ) (2/16/2009 2:35 PM): posted follow up no response 2/16. after 2/20 follow up, if no response I will contact GBT.
                JN (OCZ) (2/11/2009 6:02 PM): setting due date of 2/13 for follow up w/ JP (OCZ)
                JN (OCZ) (2/9/2009 5:08 PM): bringing J**** H*** and V**** P*** (GBT) on board for QVL. Working out trade for cross qual / check for compatibility."

Again in Post #31 at 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
                "We have not received any further response from Gigabyte, no. I checked the logs this morning."

Why doesn't your tech support/engineers do the cimpler thing & send OCZ your DQ6 & UD3P boards in return for Their 16GB VistaUpgrade, Gold & Platinum series kits. This way both Gigabyte & OCZ can help each other with test/validation. Why waste my, pfaks or other UD3P buyer's time instead of doing this simple thing to solve the problem!

Like I said before I'm not the only one who is having stability issues with 16GB kits.

Comment

Originally posted by asahito View Post
                  As you can see it has passed memtest for more than 3 hours...
                  It does take almost 3 hours to make one pass with memtest86+ (over 16 GB). That does not properly reveal the effect of sustained load, does it? Well, they surely do have plenty to test within short time, but still ...

Comment

Originally posted by mv2devnull View Post
                    It does take almost 3 hours to make one pass with memtest86+ (over 16 GB). That does not properly reveal the effect of sustained load, does it? Well, they surely do have plenty to test within short time, but still ...
                    Took me sometimes upwards of 12 hours to start seeing memory errors, but then they would stick around at every pass after the fact.

Comment

Hello,

did you get this resolved? I'm just wondering coz I'm buying the same MB and memory.

Thanks,
                      Joriz

Comment

Originally posted by joriz View Post
                        Hello,

did you get this resolved? I'm just wondering coz I'm buying the same MB and memory.

Thanks,
                        Joriz
                        No.

Comment

Whatever came from the QVL testing with Gigabyte mentioned & linked above, nothing yet?

I see nothing more on that page, I just asked incase you had carried on new posts in another thread or Via PM or something

Comment

OCZ has put the blame squarely on Gigabyte, again! And Gigabyte isn't even doing anything other than twiddling their thumbs! I'm sick and tired of this, Gigabyte should fix 16GB DDR2 compatibility with OCZ & other brand RAM or send another P45 board that works with 16GB of DDR2 RAM. Incase tehy're unwilling to do the 2 previous things they should refund the board purchasing price.

I am totally sick of this now; the only reason I even purchased the EP45-UD3P board was Gigabytes advertised 16GB DDR2 compatibility with it.

Originally posted by RyderOCZ View Post
                            We have sent samples to all the manufacturers for 16GB compatiblity testing.

We have received no response from Gigabyte about the one particular board. In general yes we are working with them.

You have had 8 sticks now of 4GB ram and have only been stable 2 at a time, that tells me that the board bios needs to be updated. There is almost no way that all 8 sticks are bad or causing the problem.

Right now, it appears that this is not something OCZ can fix.
                            It is not about working with OCZ memory, it is about working with a full memory load period.

We have qual'd the 16GB kits on the Asus P5Q P45 boards, we also have tested a few X48 boards and had 16GB running on them, even though officially they do not support 16GB.

Comment

So did Gigabyte not get the 16GB from OCZ, and OCZ Get a a board/boards from Gigabyte? Or has anyone told you if that happened yet or not?

Comment

Lsdmeasap, apparently Gigabyte didn't even contact OCZ. Or at least thats what OCZ is saying!

Sent : 3/13/2009 12:29
                                Question : Can you provide me with a way to directly contact a lead engineer or team leader of your Taiwan based validation team? Someone with whom I can interact directly, so I can test any alpha/beta BIOS updates related to solving the 16GB RAM stability problem while providing information/updates.

This way I can also avoid intermediaries/third parties & talk with them directly, like I currently do with OCZ. B.T.W. OCZ was trying to contact your validation team in Taiwan, not here in the US, but no one from Taiwan responded.
                                Answer : Unfortunately we are unable to release any internal contact information. We have already contacted with our team and they will try to obtain the memory and look into the issue.
                                Sent : 3/25/2009 09:05
                                Question : OCZ has put the blame squarely on Gigabyte, again! And Gigabyte isn't even doing anything other than twiddling their thumbs! I'm sick and tired of this, Gigabyte should fix 16GB DDR2 compatibility with OCZ & other brand RAM or send another P45 board that works with 16GB of DDR2 RAM. Incase tehy're unwilling to do the 2 previous things they should refund the board purchasing price.

I am totally sick of this now; the only reason I even purchased the EP45-UD3P board was Gigabytes advertised 16GB DDR2 compatibility with it.

We have sent samples to all the manufacturers for 16GB compatiblity testing.

We have received no response from Gigabyte about the one particular board. In general yes we are working with them.

You have had 8 sticks now of 4GB ram and have only been stable 2 at a time, that tells me that the board bios needs to be updated. There is almost no way that all 8 sticks are bad or causing the problem.

Right now, it appears that this is not something OCZ can fix.
                                It is not about working with OCZ memory, it is about working with a full memory load period.

We have qual'd the 16GB kits on the Asus P5Q P45 boards, we also have tested a few X48 boards and had 16GB running on them, even though officially they do not support 16GB.
                                Answer : SInce we do not have your memory available in our lab to test with we cannot debug the issue. Will you be willing to sending in your memory to us for further inspections?
                                Sent : 3/27/2009 09:18
                                Question : 1st, let me ask why gigabyte does not contact OCZ directly to resolve this problem? OCZ was willing to cross-ship some 16GB DDR2 kits for the GA-EP45-UD3P board.

Why dont you go signup to OCZ Forum Home, make a post to contact RyderOCZ at GA-EP45-UD3P with OCZ OCZ2G80016GQ 16GB - Page 4 - OCZ Forum & offer to help/work with OCZ engineers to resolve this problme?

2nd, I am willing to ship the RAM to Gigabyte for testing, if you aggree to certain conditions:
                                a. Gigabyte pays for shipping the RAM, both ways.
                                b. Gigabyte agrees to compensate me with the exact same 16GB DDR2 kit or the purchase price of the RAM if they damage/destroy it.
                                c. Send 2 copies of the signed agreement with the above conditions by a person of managerial level representing Gigabyte. I will sign both copies, ship 1 back with the RAM & keep the other one for my records.

Also if Gigabyte wants to examine my board too, well just send me a replacement & I will send the one I have. Although I think its either the UD3P BIOS, or worse, its a physical/engineering defect or limitation.

Well let me know about your decision, so we can proceed to resolve this problem. It has been going on for a long time now & a lot of people who bought the EP45-UD3x boards a re reporting it now.
                                HERE IS THE REPLY TO THE ABOVE

Answer : We have already had our team check with OCZ, OCZ no longer has the memory which you have available anymore. They have an more updated model which our team can get but it will be an different model or revision then the one that you have which will defeat the purpose. You can try contacting with OCZ to see if they will be willing to swapping out your memory for the newer revision which they have available in the market, that way our team can obtain those memory to test with. As for sending in the unit we cannot be liability for any damages to the memory which you will need to fill out an liability form. It would be suggested that you check with OCZ first to see if they can swap out the memory for you
                                Sent : 3/28/2009 11:20
                                Question : Please give me the model number of the latest 16GB DDR2-800 kit from OCZ and I will check with them. Also, it has nothing to do with my specific model, Platinum & previously Gold series, another user has the exact same UD3P board with 16GB Vista Upgrade kit which also doesn't run!

You cannot tell me only my specific model needs to be tested in order to solve the problem, while 2 other RAM model's from OCZ also doesn't work on the UD3P.
                                A quick look through OCZ's product page says that the OCZ2P8008GK kit is not an EOL product! I have received 2 of these OCZ2P8008GK kits as replacement for the OCZ2G80016GQ Gold series kit. I think Gigabyte is trying to create an issue of availability so as to divert the problem onto OCZ, again!
                                Last edited by asahito; 03-28-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X