Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

Well, the problem is I don't know what to set the voltage/timing/etc to to get the machine stable, I've never had to "tweak" the MCH or anything to have memory stable before (infact this is the first Intel machine I've bought since 1998)

Comment

pfak,

Shouldn't the memory freq and the fsb have a 1:1 ratio to prevent a bottleneck?
      Why not try, if you haven't done so already, to bring the dram volts up to the maximum sustainable, without damaging the sticks, while leaving timing in auto. Increase the Vcore to max, without damaging the component, etc. Once stability has been achieved, start cranking down the voltages until instability occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by ill View Post
        pfak,

Shouldn't the memory freq and the fsb have a 1:1 ratio to prevent a bottleneck?
        Why not try, if you haven't done so already, to bring the dram volts up to the maximum sustainable, without damaging the sticks, while leaving timing in auto. Increase the Vcore to max, without damaging the component, etc. Once stability has been achieved, start cranking down the voltages until instability occurs.
        How do I determine the "max" for the Vcore and the 1:1 ratio between memory frequency and FSB?

I am running a Q9550 on this mainboard.

Comment

Intel Processor Spec Finder

Filter Summary

If the fsb is 400MHz, then the memory freq should be 800MHz. Divide that 800 by 2 and you have 400. A 1:1 ratio.

fsb 425MHz, fsb 850MHz= 1:1 ratio

This is based on what I did with one of my machines.

Last edited by ill; 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

So, I noticed something interesting:

If all banks but DDR2_2 bank are populated with memory, memtest86+ passes with no errors.

When I populate DDR_2 bank with RAM so that all banks are populated, memtest86+ fails. If DDR2_2 bank is only populated with RAM, then memtest86+ passes.

Code:
            Bank #  1       2       3       4       Result
                    X       X       X       X       Fail
                    X               X       X       Pass
                            X                       Pass

Comment

And 1-2-3, 2-3-4, 1-2-4?

Comment

There is a board revision 1.1 that Gigabyte has released.

Comment

pfak; sorry for the late reply, but it seems you have made 3 sticks work. Actually theres nothing you should have to do to run 3 or even 4 sticks.

As already proven by mv2devnull & matm, in this thread EP45 16Gb Ram?, you do not need to up the MCH/RAM voltage/frequency or even change the timing. As the RAM is rated to run at 5-5-5-18/800MHz/1.800v by SPD, everything should work fine without touching a thing in BIOS!

All 4 modules are rated to run at JEDEC specification of DDR2-800 @ 1.8v [+/- 0.1v] with 5-5-5-15 timing, so these RAM modules not higher spec as Gigabyte claims! Higher densities, yes, but not higher spec, as in 1000/1066/1200 speed or timing tighter than JEDEC specified for specific speed grades. JEDEC specifies 400, 533, 667, 800 & later on even approved 1066.

Heck, these modules run fine even at 5-5-5-15, but i'd rather loosen up the TRAS from 15, to 18. Just so I can be very sure not to get my data corrupted while in RAM.

Gigabyte should test [validate] several 16GB kits [Mushkin, OCZ & G.Skill] on the EP45-UD3P & issue new BIOS, that correctly work with this amount of RAM.

P.S. Just leave the CPU/FSB voltage/termination/freq./divider/skew at AUTO/Normal, you dont need to adjust those.

ill, these are not higher spec memory! Also if for some reason you still need to adjust voltages, just bumping the MCH/DRAM one, or even two, steps higher should suffice. Compare that to me having the MCH all the way upto 1.380v [default is 1.100v] & RAM upto 2.00v [even though the MAX on the sticker says 1.850v] without the errors going away says something about adding more voltage would not solve the problem, doesn't it?

As for the spat we had, no biggie; after all I hadn't exactly acted bery cordial either! Almost 2 weeks with this problem can make someone very frustated, trust me on that.

By the way, I believe pfak has the REV1.1 board [& pfak can correct me if I'm wrong], while I have REV1.0. So that the notion of a different revision solving this problem can be ruled out.

mv2devnull, I have tried various different module configurations. As long as I use 1, 2 or 3 module configurations theres no error. But adding a 4th module always gives an error; no matter what configuration I use 4 modules in, moving the modules to in different RAM banks still generates errors, albeit the error does move slightly. Having tested the modules individually, in pairs and 3 at a time I can rule out a single bad module.

All the modules in this OCZ kit has the same serial number. At the end of that serial number however, there is a single digit starting with 1, for the first module, and ending with the number 4 for the fourth module.

Channel A = RAM bank A1 + A2 & colored YELLOW; on the board they're the 1st [closest to the CPU] & 3rd RAM bank.
                  Channel B = RAM bank B1 + B2 & colored RED; on the board they're the 2nd [closest to the CPU] & 4th RAM bank.

Errors occur in the following addresses & general area of the RAM depending on where I move the modules to:

00147bc478c = 5243.2 MB; a1=1_b1=3_a2=2_b2=4
                  00147fc47cc = 5247.3 MB & 5247.2 MB; a1=1_b1=2_a2=3_b2=4
                  00147bc47cc = 5243.2 MB; a1=1_b1=2_a2=4_b2=3
                  00147fc47cc = 5247.2 MB; a1=4_b1=2_a2=3_b2=1

Moving the modules into any other configuration always gives errors in 1 of 4 addresses mentioned above.

However I cannot produce/confirm pfak's results, that error only occurs when bank B1 is populated while using all 4 modules. From my testing, upto 3 banks with 4GB modules can be used in any bank/module configuration without any error; 2 x 4GB + 2 x 2GB has no problem in any module/bank configuration.

pfak, sorry buddy I couldn't reproduce your error. Just use the same modules you as when testing bank a1-a2-b2 & move the 4th module to bank B1, for a1-b1-a2 config., and test again. See what happens.

I have started a support ticket with Gigabyte, but yeah, not much help there. I am RMA'ing the RAM to OCZ today. Once I get the replacement we will know for sure if its the board or the RAM.

man, my post is getting really long trying to reply to everyone; hope you guys don't mind.

Comment

asahito,

I agree with you. Having a problem with a board for more than two days can create a gr8 deal of frustration let alone two weeks. It's Gigabyte's fault for producing a board that doesn't function as advertised. You know, there is supposed to be a Gigabyte rep, involved with this forum. His name is Janus Yeh.

That board, EP45-DQ6, seems like that's the board you require. Maybe Gigabyte will make a switch possible.

Comment

There is a board revision 1.1 that Gigabyte has released.
                      I have Revision 1.1 of the board.

Comment

pfak,

Yes. asahito mentioned that you have the new board. Apparently not much difference from the previous version. I hope the ram exchange will alleviate the problem.

Comment

pfak,

Yes. asahito mentioned that you have the new board. Apparently not much difference from the previous version. I hope the ram exchange will alleviate the problem.
                          I haven't put in an RMA for my RAM because there is nothing wrong with the RAM. I have tested each stick by itself extensively with zero issues.

Comment

You want to laugh? I had an experience that caused me to change memory and a psu, thank heavens I had all that in my possession, and the problem turned out to be Vista's hibernation being enabled as a default setting. It took me two days to figure that out.

The machine would go into hibernation. No matter what I did I could not release the machine from that state. The machine would power up for a second and shut off for three. The process would repeat itself an infinite number of times. I stopped it by unplugging the psu, waiting for a few seconds, and restore power. The final day I was totally disgusted. That's when I came upon asahito's post. I was about to replace the board. I had another ep45-ud3p on hand. I pulled out the mouse and the machine started right up. I couldn't believe it. I sat down, thought for a moment, and then thought about hibernation. Win XP hibernation is disabled by default. Vista is the opposite. Apparently, the board ep45-ud3p does not function with hibernation. I tried many settings in the BIOS. It just wouldn't work. Needless to say that I disabled hibernation.

Two days and I was at my wits end.
                            Last edited by ill; 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

The latest reply from Gigabyte's tech support:
                              Kingston had validated the board with 16gb of memory on this board, memory which they had tested on this board is listed on their website below

Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for:

Crucial also has an list below as well

Untitled Page)
                              Now the bad news, neither Kingston nor Crucial list any 16GB kits, or even mentions specifically any of their RAM working in 16GB config. in the UD3P, on their website.

I have sent email to both manufacturers asking if the tested RAM in 4x4GB configuration on this MB, & if so what was the motherboard & BIOS revision numbers. Now just have to wait for their replies.

But heres a much more welcome news. I have contacted Gary Key, a reviewer at AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news & just recently completed the very first full review of a P45 motherboard, coincidentally the board happened to be the EP45-UD3P. You can read his article here: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - P45 at its Finest.

As Gary mentioned in that review, he tested upto 8GB of RAM. So I asked if he was going to do a RAM test with 16GB kits, and he replied saying that a seperate article will be published. He also mentioned he will be testing several other P45 bopards with this memory configuration, so which I suggested also testing several 16GB kits from different manufacturers.

Hopefully OCZ will contact Gary & offer him their 16GB kits so he can test them on P45 boards We will finally know if its the RAM or MB/BIOS now!

Comment

So, interesting results I've had with this problem ..

Stuck 3 of the OCZ 4GB modules on the board, and 1 generic 4GB dimm (Infenion I think) and fired up memtest86+

Passes, no problem .. so I think, maybe the one OCZ dimm I took out was bad. Test it by itself, no problems either! So I swap out the dimm with another OCZ one, and it works as well!

Seems I can only run 3x4GB OCZ with no issues, and 1 generic 4GB dimm D:

I am totally confused now!

Comment

Working...
                                X