Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

powergiga; not only 667, I even tried 533 with no success.

pfak; buddy glad you finally made it to this forum. They blocked regular users from posting in one anothers thread on OCZ forum, so I wasnt able to post into your thread [you guessed it, the same guy from OCZ forum here.] Here now we will be able to collaborate better.

I thought you had the same kit as min [OCZ2G80016GQ, GOLD kit]? Well I guess the Vista Upgrade kit is not much different, only the timing just a bit. Our problems are still similar.

Jor3llBR; I tried voltages, CPU & MCH ref to 0.800v, CPU 2 steps up from 1.2500 & MCH all the way upto 1.380v [good thing I didn't burn that sucker out!]. I even tried upto 2.000v for DRAM, though stopped in just 3 min as memtest86+ started throwing errors.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about voltages & timing, can please provide the following, I'd like to give this another try:
    Code:
    [B]Motherboard Voltage Control [/B]
    Voltage Type.…...……... 
    [B]CPU [/B]
    Load-Line Calibration....................: 
    CPU Vcore….……….........1.22500V*.........: 
    CPU Termination…...... 1.200V*...........: 
    CPU PLL………………….........1.500V*...........: 
    CPU Reference..........0.760V............: 
    [B]MCH/ICH[/B] 
    MCH Core……………..........1.100V............: 
    MCH Reference..…...….….0.760V............: 
    MCH/DRAM Reference.....0.900V............: 
    ICH I/O…………....……......1.550V............: 
    ICH Core...............1.100V............: 
    [B]DRAM [/B]
    DRAM Voltage ……........1.800V............: 
    DRAM Termination ...…..0.900V............: 
    Channel A Address Vref 0.900V............: 
    Channel B Address Vref 0.900V............:
    Also how about the clock skews [currently set to 700 for the CPU & MCH] & advanced DRAM timing, can they be left at default/auto?

Comment

Originally posted by pfak View Post
      I tried MCH Core 1.200V, MCH Reference 0.800V on mine and same issue as before.
      Keep playing with CPU and MCH Ref till you find your cpu sweep spot. It varies from board to board. Also 1.200vmch for 16gb's is not enought, raise that to 1.3-1.4vmch.

Old Build
      DFI X48_T2R :yepp: + Q9650 + G. Skill F2-96004GbPI + OCZ Cryo-Z + 2 ATI's 3870 XFire =
      project [Fl4tBl4ck.in.Blu3] worklog

INTERESTED IN PURCHASING MIPS WATERBLOCKS FOR THE GIGABYTE EP45 UD3 SERIES CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by asahito View Post
        powergiga; not only 667, I even tried 533 with no success.

Jor3llBR; I tried voltages, CPU & MCH ref to 0.800v, CPU 2 steps up from 1.2500 & MCH all the way upto 1.380v [good thing I didn't burn that sucker out!]. I even tried upto 2.000v for DRAM, though stopped in just 3 min as memtest86+ started throwing errors.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about voltages & timing, can please provide the following, I'd like to give this another try:
        Also how about the clock skews [currently set to 700 for the CPU & MCH] & advanced DRAM timing, can they be left at default/auto?

Motherboard Voltage Control
        Voltage Type.…...……...
        CPU
        Load-Line Calibration....................:
        CPU Vcore….……….........1.22500V*.........: NORMAL
        CPU Termination…...... 1.200V*...........: 1.200v
        CPU PLL………………….........1.500V*...........: NORMAL
        CPU Reference..........0.760V............: TRY 0.785V
        MCH/ICH
        MCH Core……………..........1.100V............: 1.300v
        MCH Reference..…...….….0.760V............: TRY 0.800V
        MCH/DRAM Reference.....0.900V............: A
        ICH I/O…………....……......1.550V............: 1.550V or NORMAL
        ICH Core...............1.100V............: TRY 1.200V
        DRAM
        DRAM Voltage ……........1.800V............: Leave on AUTO for the moment
        DRAM Termination ...…..0.900V............: A
        Channel A Address Vref 0.900V............: A
        Channel B Address Vref 0.900V............: A

Try above ^^
        Go to skew page and load optimized defaults for that page for the moment.
        Last edited by Jor3llBR; 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM.

Old Build
        DFI X48_T2R :yepp: + Q9650 + G. Skill F2-96004GbPI + OCZ Cryo-Z + 2 ATI's 3870 XFire =

INTERESTED IN PURCHASING MIPS WATERBLOCKS FOR THE GIGABYTE EP45 UD3 SERIES CLICK HERE

Comment

pfak; buddy glad you finally made it to this forum. They blocked regular users from posting in one anothers thread on OCZ forum, so I wasnt able to post into your thread [you guessed it, the same guy from OCZ forum here.] Here now we will be able to collaborate better.

I thought you had the same kit as min [OCZ2G80016GQ, GOLD kit]? Well I guess the Vista Upgrade kit is not much different, only the timing just a bit. Our problems are still similar.
          I'm not sure what the kit is, the box has OCZ2G80016GQ on it but the RAM has something different, also the timing listed on the sticker is 5-6-6-18 while the timing on the SPD is 5-5-5-18.

I've tried running the RAM at 667 with no difference in stability. I also emailed Gigabyte but haven't received a reply yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jor3llBR View Post
            Try above ^^
            Go to skew page and load optimized defaults for that page for the moment.
            I tried your settings and I'm still getting RAM errors.

Comment

Originally posted by pfak View Post
              I tried your settings and I'm still getting RAM errors.
              Diferent CPUs diferent settings, those were for the Q9650.

Old Build

Comment

Originally posted by Jor3llBR View Post
                Diferent CPUs diferent settings, those were for the Q9650.
                What would you recommend for the Q9950?

Comment

matm got (different) ocz (and I got mushkin) working on ep45-dq6 by doing essentially nothing.

But that does not tell anything about ud3p and the other ocz memory ...
                  Last edited by mv2devnull; 02-04-2009, 02:05 AM.

Comment

That's interesting. I followed that link. I am waiting for a reply from Gigabyte regarding 16GB of memory on a EP45-UD3P board. I didn't really believe that tweaking the board was necessary to get the machine up and running. If Gigabyte says it must be tweaked, then I'll believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by mv2devnull View Post
                      matm got (different) ocz (and I got mushkin) working on ep45-dq6 by doing essentially nothing.

But that does not tell anything about ud3p and the other ocz memory ...
                      I tested each stick of RAM by itself on the board with 3 passes each, and they all passed memtest86+, so there is nothing wrong with the RAM.

Originally posted by ill View Post
                      That's interesting. I followed that link. I am waiting for a
                      reply from Gigabyte regarding 16GB of memory on a EP45-UD3P board. I didn't really believe that tweaking the board was necessary to get the machine up and running. If Gigabyte says it must be tweaked, then I'll believe it.
                      I e-mailed Gigabyte 2 days ago and I haven't received a response yet. I would like a response from them because OCZ seems to be blaming them for the problem.

Comment

@ asahito,

Why not try reduced from 16GB to 8GB and see what happen, I think UD3P/R still not mature for over 8GB-16GB with 4 sticks at the time.

I think it's might work with 2x4GB total 8GB should be up and running.

put 2 stick of ram on slot 1 and 3 to see if boot up or not then remove ram from slot 1,3 then put ram on slot 2,4 then cross fingers.

Hope it help

OR time for hunt other brand of board that support 16GB right out of box, but not this one UD3P/R.

pg
                        GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
                        New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
                        G
                        .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
                        MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
                        PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
                        Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

Originally posted by powergiga View Post
                          Why not try reduced from 16GB to 8GB and see what happen, I think UD3P/R still not mature for over 8GB-16GB with 4 sticks at the time.

I think it's might work with 2x4GB total 8GB should be up and running.

put 2 stick of ram on slot 1 and 3 to see if boot up or not then remove ram from slot 1,3 then put ram on slot 2,4 then cross fingers.
                          The board says it supports 16GB RAM, I'm sure the reason both of us are buying 4x4GB is because we *need* 16GB RAM on the machine. I have tons of boards that support 8GB and this board is supposed to support 16GB.

Gigabyte shouldn't advertise it as supporting 16GB if it doesn't. I've ran this board stable with 2x4GB but that is unacceptable!

/End of rant
                          Last edited by pfak; 02-04-2009, 04:44 PM. Reason: Tags didnt show up and clipping

Comment

Jor3llBR; those settings didn't work. As I stated previously I tried 1.380v for MCH, without any luck.

pfak; the Vista Upgrade only differes in timing, x-6-6 compared to the Gold's x-5-5. So I assume they're the same design/chips just binned different.

I am leaning a lot more on the BIOS not supporting 16GB thing & hoping its not by design on the UD3P, coz then were screwed. Ditto on the 'if you advertise support for 16GB, it better work with 16GB' thing.

mv2devnull; seems you and matm both got the DQ6, that board has had time to mature with BIOS revisons. For example, from the DQ6 BIOS page:
                            F9 2008/07/15 1. Enhanced memory compatibility
                            I don't even see anything remotely close to 'memory' being mentioned in any of the UD3P BIOS revisions so far.

But the fact that matm used 2 sets of 2x4GB kits & all with default voltages says a lot right there; these modules should work with everything set to default/auto. Heck the entire 16GB kit is rated 1.8v! Even you didn't change much regarding voltages.

ill; probably a good idea to wait for an answer, though I doubt you're gonna get any useful reply. They do advertise UD3P as supporting 16GB, but I do hope that theyre working on the 16GB thing for BIOS F8 release. Otherwise I'd have to return the board, even though I really like it.

OCZ forum has confirmed they validated these 16GB kits in the P5Q PRO & Deluxe; guess I should'nt have returned my P5Q Deluxe.

powergiga; thats what I want to know, will Gigabyte add support for 16GB ram, well they better as they advertised such, & when is it coming? I can't exactly wait a year without a computer.

Forget it 'might' work with 8GB [2x4GB], it actually does. Whats more, it even works with 12GB [3x4GB]! The whole thing comes a crashing when I add the 4th, 4GB, module.

As for trying different slots & module configuration, tried it already & so did pfak. I need all 16GB; ever try having your own virtualized network, even 16GB isn't enough for that. And I'm sure pfak has his reasons for the 16GB too.
                            Last edited by asahito; 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Forget it 'might' work with 8GB [2x4GB], it actually does. Whats more, it even works with 12GB [3x4GB]! The whole thing comes a crashing when I add the 4th, 4GB, module.

As for trying different slots & module configuration, tried it already & so did pfak. I need all 16GB; ever try having your own virtualized network, even 16GB isn't enough for that. And I'm sure pfak has his reasons for the 16GB too.
                              I can't even get mine to be stable at 3x4GB, what settings are you using voltage and timing wise?

Oh wow, I got a response out of Gigabyte after two days stating:

"Since those are higher spec memory did you perform proper bios adjustment to the memory proper spec and voltage?"

SUPER helpful.
                              Last edited by pfak; 02-04-2009, 09:34 PM. Reason: Added Gigabyte reply

Comment

From Gigabyte

"You should be able to use 16gb of memory, but if those are higher spec memory you will need to manually adjust the memory setting. By default only the SPD default will be detected and make not be fully stable if that much memory are being used."

You're right. The memory is obviously of a higher spec, so an adjustment is necessary. That's definitive enough for me.

asahito,

I should not have written those replies. I had been up for almost two days working on a machine that was becoming a massive headache. I did not read your initial post. I just skimmed over it. When I finally got sleep, I read it and found all the questions that I asked you had already answered in your first post. Please forgive my unwarranted behavior.

ill
                                Last edited by ill; 02-04-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X