Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

According to Gigabyte's specs for this board, it can only support 16GB of RAM.

1. 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
    2. Dual channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR2 1366+*/1066/800/667 MHz memory modules

Comment

Originally posted by ill View Post
      According to Gigabyte's specs for this board, it can only support 16GB of RAM.

1. 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
      2. Dual channel memory architecture
      3. Support for DDR2 1366+*/1066/800/667 MHz memory modules

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.0)
      I am confused! Why did you quote the product spec.? What are you trying to convey?

Anyway, back to my original question:
      Originally posted by asahito View Post
      No matter how many different module configurations I use [moving the modules to different slots] the errors show up in almost exactly the same place, differing only by 4MB or 0.1MB. Even then its only 3 specific addresses in RAM that seem to repeat, after I have moved the modules to different slots.

These errors are just 1 wrong byte in a 8 byte data set, they also occur in exactly the same place, the 2nd byte [from the left]. Ex. fbffffff being returned instead of ffffffff, every single time it is the 2nd byte!

No amounts of fiddling [increasing/decreasing] CPU, MCH, or RAM frequency, clock skew, timing, voltage ever seem to get rid of this error.

So when can we expect proper support for 16GB RAM in 4 x 4GB config in the BIOS? Hopefully F8; tried F8a [beta!!], F7, F6 and all had the same problem!

Comment

Why didn't you do the research before you purchased all the parts? It seems like you're working backwards.

Did you load the OS yet? Are you having trouble with the memory? Check one stick of memory at a time. What is the problem other than the demanding attitude?

First get your board to run stable in the default mode. Just install your parts, turn on the machine and see if the board posts. If it does, install an OS. If that looks good, install your drivers. Start at square one.
        Last edited by ill; 02-02-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Why didn't you do the research before you purchased all the parts? It seems like you're working backwards.

Did you load the OS yet? Are you having trouble with the memory? Check one stick of memory at a time. What is the problem other than the demanding attitude?
          Did you even read any of my posts on this thread? Did you even read the first post? Might I suggest reading all the posts before you post your snobby un-informed post on that thread; so as to you not look as un-informed as your post suggest.

EDIT: oh and about the "demand" thing; as I bought the product with my money, I can "demand" that it works as advertised.
          Last edited by asahito; 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah your second post was a complaint because no one came to your aid immediately.

Did you check each stick, using Memtest, separately?
            Last edited by ill; 02-02-2009, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Your memory should pass the Memtest with the board in its default state. If it doesn't, I would assume there is a problem with the memory. In that case, you should try OCZ's help forum.

Wow, that was a bit difficult for you to figure out.

Comment

Yeah your second post was a complaint because no one came to your aid immediately.
                No one has still come to my aid, well atleast not in any positive way or to solve it, I'm still complaining and this is the 12th post. So now that you're here, are you going to help me solve it, so I can stop?

Did you see how long my second post was, [how many lines does it have?] and you're harping on a single line?

Did you check each stick, using Memtest, separately?
                LMAO; now thats funny! You complained about me complaining in the 2nd post, but thats the only line you seem to have read. Had you actually read the entire post you would know the answer to your question already!

Turns out running 2 sticks at a time with all the voltages/frequencies set to AUTO/def gives absolutely no errors in memtest86+ 2.11.
                Your memory should pass the Memtest with the board in its default state. If it doesn't, I would assume there is a problem with the memory. In that case, you should try OCZ's help forum.

Wow, that was a bit difficult for you to figure out.
                Apparently reading & comprehension isn't your strong points! I was hoping at least some common sense, but now, that seems to be bit of a stretch too!

If the modules test fine individually, in pair [as mentioned in my 2nd post, and even in 3 modules only failing if a 4th modules is added "assume there is a problem with the memory" [while constantly changing modules through out the entire test to make sure a single module left out wasnt the culprit]?
                Last edited by asahito; 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Then RMA the board. Can't you troubleshoot?

Comment

@asahito

In bios, Try load optimized defaults then change bus speed at 333 then save to exit and see what happen.

Look like 667mhz might work to boot with full 16GB ?

pg
                    Last edited by powergiga; 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM. Reason: edited
                    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
                    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
                    G
                    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
                    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
                    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
                    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

Then RMA the board. Can't you troubleshoot?
                      I don't think there is anything wrong with the board. I am having similar problems with the exact same kit. Seems like a BIOS bug or defective RAM.

Comment

UPDATE TO LAST POST:
                        Running memtest86+ 2.11 with all 4 sticks, MCH=1.200v / RAM=2.000v errors shows up at the following locations in RAM with only certain tests:
                        #4 - 05247.2MB - 57 errors

I stopped the testing after #7 completed. I also get errors when #2 test is looped. I am certain now that the RAM/MCH voltages are the cause.

The following are my current settings:
                        [code]
                        CPU
                        CPU Termination…...... 1.200V*...........: [Auto]
                        CPU Reference..........0.760V............: [Auto]
                        MCH/ICH
                        MCH Core……………..........1.100V............: 1.200
                        MCH Reference..…...….….0.760V............: [Auto]
                        Which CPU your using?

Your problem is not voltages Memtest #7 errors means one thing only: wrong MCH Reference setting.

I would try this first:
                        MCH Reference..........0.760V............: [If VTT = 1.200 use MCH Ref one step up from default 0.800v]

Try Memtest #7 again.

This value varies according to which vtt your running and cpu too...

Old Build
                        DFI X48_T2R :yepp: + Q9650 + G. Skill F2-96004GbPI + OCZ Cryo-Z + 2 ATI's 3870 XFire =
                        project [Fl4tBl4ck.in.Blu3] worklog

INTERESTED IN PURCHASING MIPS WATERBLOCKS FOR THE GIGABYTE EP45 UD3 SERIES CLICK HERE

Comment

I would presume that the board would work at default settings with the RAM that it was designed to function with. If all the settings were left in the Auto mode, there should be no problem. Once that is established, and the machine is stable, the overclocking can begin. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Comment

I would presume that the board would work at default settings with the RAM that it was designed to function with. If all the settings were left in the Auto mode, there should be no problem. Once that is established, and the machine is stable, the overclocking can begin. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
                            Nope it doesn't work that way.

Settings on Auto means your letting a brainless piece of hardware decide the settings for you.

That means it sets crazy voltages and wrong MCH and CPU References, as I said before wrong MCH Reference causes Memtest #7 errors + loads of system instability.

Old Build
                            DFI X48_T2R :yepp: + Q9650 + G. Skill F2-96004GbPI + OCZ Cryo-Z + 2 ATI's 3870 XFire =
                            project [Fl4tBl4ck.in.Blu3] worklog

INTERESTED IN PURCHASING MIPS WATERBLOCKS FOR THE GIGABYTE EP45 UD3 SERIES CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Jor3llBR View Post
                              Nope it doesn't work that way.

Settings on Auto means your letting a brainless piece of hardware decide the settings for you.

That means it sets crazy voltages and wrong MCH and CPU References, as I said before wrong MCH Reference causes Memtest #7 errors + loads of system instability.
                              I tried MCH Core 1.200V, MCH Reference 0.800V on mine and same issue as before.

Comment

Thanks Jor3llBR,

Then I owe asahito an apology.

Comment

Working...
                                X