• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powergiga
    replied
    Re: Ga-ep45-ud3p + ocz 16gb ram

Originally posted by asahito View Post
    RyderOCZ from OCZ Forum Home, the official OCZ support forum, has placed the blamed squarely on Gigabyte for not responding.

OCZ2VU80016GQ inconsistently failing memtest86+ - Page 3 - OCZ Forum
    All we do is watch them each others.

Let go rumble !!!

(OCZ VS GIGABYTE) round 1.

pg
    Last edited by powergiga; 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

Originally posted by pfak View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the mainboard, me and asahito have the same board with the exact same problem!

Gigabyte support is probably the most useless support I have ever had when dealing with a mainboard manufacturer. They make ASUS support look good, I get one sentence responses half the time!
    RyderOCZ from OCZ Forum Home, the official OCZ support forum, has placed the blamed squarely on Gigabyte for not responding.
    We have not received any further response from Gigabyte, no. I checked the logs this morning.
    OCZ2VU80016GQ inconsistently failing memtest86+ - Page 3 - OCZ Forum

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    MCH 1.16 is for sure not enough. I use 1.24+ with only 4GB. I would be trying 1.24-1.34 and see if you have any luck that way, and more Vtt for sure as well.

If your ram is rated 1.9, that may be ok. But if not then it is not enough, either way I would use a little more. Like if it is 1.9V ram I would use 1.95-2.0

tRD is Static tRead Value, sorry for not saying! Set that to 10 or 12 for now

Like I said, I blame settings first and you have not been trying the correct ones loose enough or with enough voltage to start out with. So I still think as of now it is all in your settings.

You can contact Gigabyte here at the Tech Support link, sounds like you have already right? >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone
    There is nothing wrong with the mainboard, me and asahito have the same board with the exact same problem!

Gigabyte support is probably the most useless support I have ever had when dealing with a mainboard manufacturer. They make ASUS support look good, I get one sentence responses half the time!

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

Lsdmeasap, check the end of my last post [#77], where I quoted mv2devnull.

Gigabyte support techs are very useful, I can see! More than a month later & they're still harping the same tune, its either the RAM or the more favorite "its not our fault!"; do they look at the thread in this forum, at all?

"The board can use 16gb of memory, but we are unable to guarantee the stability of your memory."
    What kind of Contradictory statement is that? If the board can handle up to 16GB of RAM but cannot do so stably then either Gigabyte made a false statement about the UD3P support that amount of RAM, knowingly!

What good is putting 16GB into a motherboard if it cannot even boot into an OS?

"If you feel your memory is not the issue you may send in the board for us to further examine and can submit your request to the below website

http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com"
    I am sure memory is not the issue, I have replaced the modules that were causing errors in memtest86+ v2.11 & the new modules did not produce any errors after 13+ hours of stress testing.

Also can you please explain to me the logic behind examining my board? If 16GB of OCZ Platinum RAM works in a EP45-DQ6 board but does not work in EP45-UD3P what does that say about the UD3P? Also Mushkin works in the DQ6 board.

You can eliminate the possibility of whether if this is just my board or the entire UD3P lines physical/BIOS problem. Besides me another user, pfak, in the Gigabyte support forum has started a thread regarding the same problem. He has a 16GB OCZ kit & a UD3P board too.

If you really want to figure out if it is my specific board or the UD3P board or its BIOS, why dont you ask your engineers to test a 16GB OCZ Gold/Platinum series RAM on the UD3P & the DQ6 boards. That should make it clear if its the UD3P board, its BIOS are the problem or just my/pfak's individual boards.

How can I contact the UD3P board & BIOS engineers, so I can directly convey to them the problem & work with them to remedy it; I can offer to beta test any BIOS release geared towards solving this problem.
    Last edited by asahito; 03-09-2009, 11:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    MCH 1.16 is for sure not enough. I use 1.24+ with only 4GB. I would be trying 1.24-1.34 and see if you have any luck that way, and more Vtt for sure as well.
    Well I can use my 2x2GB G.Skill 800 ram with MCH=Normal[1.100] & RAM=Normal [1.800]. Also I can use 3 OCZ 4GB modules [out of the 4], for a total of 12GB, with default MCH/RAM voltages without any problems!

If your ram is rated 1.9, that may be ok. But if not then it is not enough, either way I would use a little more. Like if it is 1.9V ram I would use 1.95-2.0
    I have tried upping the RAM voltage all they way upto 2.2, but the random reboots didn't stop.

Have set the tRD value to 12 for the current test, but reboots still occured

Like I said, I blame settings first and you have not been trying the correct ones loose enough or with enough voltage to start out with. So I still think as of now it is all in your settings.
    I think you're omitting all the other facts! A DQ6 board can run 16GB of the exact ram that I have, OCZ Platinum series, or Mushkin without any voltage/timing modifications! pfak stated he is running 3x4GB OCZ+1x4GB Aeneon without any problem, but cannot with 4x4GB OCZ.

Also the fact that its been more than a month since this problem was reported by me/pfak and that we are not average users, should also give you an idea that we tried almost every timing/voltage settign there is!

Because of Gigabytes [non]support/cooperation, I can't figure out if the BIOS does'nt have proper support for 16GB of RAM or if the board engineering was deliberately crippled so buyers would have to opt for a more expensive model!

You can contact Gigabyte here at the Tech Support link, sounds like you have already right? >>>
    I have started a support ticket more than a month ago with them & they have been no help at all! After replacing the RAM from OCZ, they're not saying much anymore!

At this point I am not even sure if there is anything more I can try to make the board work properly. But how do I go about requesting a Gigabyte replace my board with a P45 model that is known to work with 16GB RAM, or will they simply refund my UD3P purchase?

Let me add the following:
    Originally posted by mv2devnull View Post
    matm got (different) ocz (and I got mushkin) working on ep45-dq6 by doing essentially nothing.

But that does not tell anything about ud3p and the other ocz memory ...
    Last edited by asahito; 03-09-2009, 04:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-09-2009, 03:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

Have tried with the following timings with MCH=1.160v & RAM=1.900v, and both times Vista rebooted when loading teh login screen!

Code:
    ---------Default---------Manually set to
    CAS----------5------------6
    tRCD---------5------------6
    tRP----------5------------6
    tRAS---------18-----------20

tRRD---------3------------5
    tWTR---------3------------5
    tWR----------6------------8
    tRFC---------78-----------88
    tRTP---------AUTO [3]
    The only timing that I didn't mess with was tRD value; can't find it! However Channel A/B Timing has a value called Static tRead Value, which is set to AUTO [8] already.

What else can you blame other than the Gigabyte board/BIOS [UD3P in this case]? 2 other persons have successfully implemented 16GB RAM upgrades on their DQ6 boards, one of them even has the same OCZ Platinum RAM as me.

Also I'm not the only person having issues with the EP45-UD3P board & a OCZ 16GB RAM kit [pfak has the same components as me & the same problem too!] Heck, he is even able to use 3x4GB OCZ RAM + 1x4GB Aeneon RAM [for a total of 16GB] on the same UD3P board that cant run 4x4GB OCZ!

Now its too late for me to return the UD3P board. While there hasn't been much help from Gigabyte's support where I started a support ticket, will Gigabyte exchange my UD3P for a DQ6 board [& I didn't purchase that board because the extra 4 SATA ports by the SIL controller doesn't support Optical/ATAPI drives!]

How do I contact the Gigabyte motherboard & BIOS engineers, so I can inform them of this problem & also inquire about progress?

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

asahito, you may need to loosen up some of your memory timings, at least until you get going. I would use tRRD 4, tRFC 88 or more, and tRD of 8-9, tWR and tWTR may need a little bit more as well.

Just try some things looser, seems you have it maybe set to tight for 16GB. I mean for having issues you need to loosen it up first before you think anything is to blame other then settings

Leave a comment:

• pfak
    replied

Oh man, I don't think there was anything wrong with the original RAM! Since I have 3x4GB OCZ and 1x4GB Aeneon and I'm using the other 4GB OCZ dimm from my 4x4GB kit on another machine with ZERO issues.

I blame Gigabyte fully for this problem. I wish they would fix it. Advertising support for 16GB and then not really providing it is dishonest at best.

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

Lsdmeasap, as I stated in posts #66 & #70, no, not all is well! After receiving the replacement RAM there are no more errors in memtest86+ v2.11, but vista reboots randomly & applications crash after launch or fails to launch all together.

I have flashed the BIOS to F8 just now. As you mentioned this thread, EP45 16Gb Ram?; I would like to point out that matm got 16GB RAM working with the same type/speed of RAM as me [OCZ Platinum series DDR2-800 4x4GB modules] & mv2devnull using Mushkin RAM without modifying any BIOS settings. The only difference is that they both have EP45-DQ6 motherboard where as me & pfak both have the EP45-UD3P boards!

Memset screenshots attached!

Lsdmeasap, sorry for the delay. I just received replacement RAM from OCZ. The old RAM was the GOLD series [5-5-5-18] the new RAM is PLATINUM series [5-4-4-18]. OCZ2P8008GK

There are no more errors while running memtest86+ v2.11. But I am having a hard time stabilising the system. No problem if I use just 3 of these 4GB modules.

Advanced clock - DEFAULT
    Performance Enhance - STANDARD
    RAM Timing - SPD [which is 5-5-5-18]
    Load-Line Calibration - DISABLED
    CPU Vcore - AUTO
    all other voltages are set to - NORMAL [don't want anything over volted]

Sometimes it will boot into Vista, I can login & then all of a sudden reboot! Other times it reboots at the login screen or freezes while trying to login!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by asahito; 03-05-2009, 08:45 PM. Reason: Clarification added!

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

So all good now that you have had a chance to play with it? If not, please give me your full settings and I will see if anything looks off to me. Post a screenshot of Memset as well

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

powergiga, no I am running all 16GB [4x4GB]. OCZ has shipped me replacement RAM.

Lsdmeasap, sorry for the delay. I just received replacement RAM from OCZ. The old RAM was the GOLD series [5-5-5-18] the new RAM is PLATINUM series [5-4-4-18]. OCZ2P8008GK

There are no more errors while running memtest86+ v2.11. But I am having a hard time stabilising the system. No problem if I use just 3 of these 4GB modules.

Advanced clock - DEFAULT
    Performance Enhance - STANDARD
    RAM Timing - SPD [which is 5-5-5-18]
    Load-Line Calibration - DISABLED
    CPU Vcore - AUTO
    all other voltages are set to - NORMAL [don't want anything over volted]

Sometimes it will boot into Vista, I can login & then all of a sudden reboot! Other times it reboots at the login screen or freezes while trying to login!

Leave a comment:

• powergiga
    replied

Nickel020, I did a 13+ hour memtest86+ v2.11 test without any errors showing up! At least half the RAM, closer to the CPU socket, receives air flow from the CPU cooler.
    Now you have 8GB up running so far good ?

pg

Leave a comment:

• asahito
    replied

Nickel020, I did a 13+ hour memtest86+ v2.11 test without any errors showing up! At least half the RAM, closer to the CPU socket, receives air flow from the CPU cooler.

Leave a comment:

• Nickel020
    replied

Have you tried placing a fan so that the RAM receices some airflow? I noticed when testing 4x2GB on an open tet bench that the RAM was overheating since it failed Prime without a fan but runs stable for more than 24 hours on the exact same settings when I use a fan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X