• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeap, that is all you need in Qflash is the F6 file
    ok thanks
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3p q9550@4037 true 120 black.
    mushkin pc8000 2x2 4g gtx260 216 ocz 700w ps.

Comment

Hi!

First off, I'm new here and have a GA-EP35C-DS3R with a Q9450, and a RAID mirror configuration.

I was a little hasty when I just a few minutes ago felt like upgrading my BIOS from F1 to F3. I followed some Q-Flash instructions somewhere, but kind of missed the part that I should toggle "Load optimized defaults" after the upgrade is successful and on the subsequent reboot. BUT, I for some reason entered the RAID setup, felt confused, and simply ESCed out of there, yielding an "Update successful" message, or similar. My computer boots and works just fine (I'm using it now), but I'm wondering:

Should I still try the "Load optimized defaults"? Will it tamper with my RAID, and will I in that case have to refresh the RAID settings somehow? Does the optimized defaults really do anything cool? I also read somewhere that perhaps the FSB speed isn't properly set automatically (default too slow?)? Are there other stuff I should change in the BIOS, like system voltage to auto? I don't want to overclock or anything, I just want stable settings that are suitable for my setup.

Any input is appreciated!
      -r1ffe
      Last edited by r1ffe; 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Yes, you should always load optimized defaults as it is part of the Flashing process and enables settings you cannot access relevant to your CPU. It is a MUST for sure

It will not tamper with your RAID as long as you remember to go BACK TO THE BIOS BEFORE WINDOWS and set your Settings BACK to RAID And reboot BACK to the BIOS And the move your array back to the top of the Hard Disk Boot Priority List if it is not already

Write down your settings in Integrated Peripherals if you think you will forget them. These are the ones that MUST be set back to the same way as before for your RAID to work properly. Then in the Advanced BIOS page is where you would move your disk to the top of Hard Disk Boot Priority again.

Just dont let windows load until you are sure your settings are back to the same way in the Integrated Peripherals page and you will be fine

As for the rest of your settings, please make a thread with your specs and I will be happy to help

Comment

Thanks! I loaded the optimized defaults and switched back to RAID, and everything seems to still work. =) But it would be interesting to find out what the optimized defaults actually changed. I'm posting a new thread in a minute.

Comment

i flashed my bios no problem my raid is all good..im running f6 now prime blend test still running. my q9559 @4.2 i have f7c loaded on a floppy might give it a try..
            Gigabyte ep45-ud3p q9550@4037 true 120 black.
            mushkin pc8000 2x2 4g gtx260 216 ocz 700w ps.

Comment

Comment

You need to extract the bios file from the zipped up RAR self extracting exe file.

You either need Winrar to do this (I believe 7-zip also extracts RAR files),
                OR
                Execute the file in windows and let the self extracter, extract to a temporary folder etc (of your choice). Then copy the bios file (the largest file) to the USB stick. Then use QFlash
                Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-20-2009, 12:37 PM.
                GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hello
                  I tried to upgrade to F10 my EP45-DS3R with a USB Stick formatted Fat32, but has not been recognized by QFlash, only recognized the floppy.
                  Then I upgraded to F10 with QFlah from the floppy and the process has been good, but I reboot the BIOS and remains F9.
                  What happened?
                  Thanks

Edit: I've re-formatted USB stick and has worked well. The BIOS on F10
                  Last edited by Bransedano; 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I am flashing a ud3r to F6 using my usb stick. When i use qflash it finds the usb and starts to flash and then says
                    'checksum 9100'
                    It ask if I want to continue. Should I continue ? I opted not to the first two times because I wasn't sure.

Thanks

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Originally posted by r2rickster View Post
                      Hi,

I am flashing a ud3r to F6 using my usb stick. When i use qflash it finds the usb and starts to flash and then says
                      'checksum 9100'
                      It ask if I want to continue. Should I continue ? I opted not to the first two times because I wasn't sure.

Thanks
                      Yes do continue it's ready to go.

Comment

Thanks

It is finished and up and running!

Comment

so ,can i flash my video bios with QFlash ?
                          GIGABYTE X48-DS4
                          Q9550 / CM Hyper 212
                          Corsair xms2 PC8500 4gb
                          Sapphire 5870
                          x-fi platinum
                          Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB
                          Cooler Master silent pro M 700W
                          HAF 922

Comment

No, sadly you cannot. I am sure you can use the usual DOS Method's but I am unaware of the commands personally.

Here is the Video Flash Utility (VGA @BIOS) as well as HUD Gamer's tools >>>
                            GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Graphics Accelerator - Utility

However here is a Guide, a little old but I believe still relevant, for flashing from DOS and VGA Flashing in general >>>
                            techPowerUp! :: Guide to Video BIOS flashing

I think your BIOS comes with Nflash or ATIFLash right, those would be the DOS Tools you would need, a floppy, and a second card.

If you would like some specific Help that may be newer, please let me know your model of card and I will get you some ATI or Nvidia Based specific info

Comment

SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink
                              GIGABYTE X48-DS4
                              Q9550 / CM Hyper 212
                              Corsair xms2 PC8500 4gb
                              Sapphire 5870
                              x-fi platinum
                              Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB
                              Cooler Master silent pro M 700W
                              HAF 922

Comment

Well that is not a Gigabyte card....

Anyhow, here is how to flash a ATI Card >>

Windows Method (WinFlash) BIOS Included
                                HD4850 Bios By Bret - Guru3D.com Forums

DOS

ATI Radeon BIOS Flash Guide
                                Written by Mavke
                                Tuesday, 16 March 2004
                                There are 2 ways on how to Flash your ATI Radeon Graphics Card BIOS and those depend on the Program that you use. Make sure you always make a Backup of your Original BIOS first!

First of all you will have to make a boot disk (http://www.bootdisk.com) and put on there atiflash.exe (v1.16) or flashrom.exe (v2.37) and also the new BIOS file you want to flash your Card with (xxxx.rom). After you created the boot disk, restart your PC with the boot disk.

- Flashing with ATIFlash (ATI) - Use ATIFlash v1.16
                                Standard Procedure:
                                1. a:atiflash -s 0 backup.rom [Enter] (to backup the Orginal BIOS)
                                2. a:atiflash -p 0 file.rom [Enter] (to flash your card with a new BIOS)

Non Standard Procedure:
                                (If you are trying to flash a bios for a different card then you will get a security warning that the bios does not match your card. If you are absolutely sure that the bios is compatible you can use the -f parameter to force flashing)
                                2*. a:atiflash -f -p 0 file.rom [Enter] (to flash your card with a new BIOS)

- Flashing with FlashROM (ATI) - Use FlashROM v2.37 oe v2.40
                                Standard Procedure:
                                1. a:flashrom.exe -s 0 backup.rom [Enter] (to backup the Orginal BIOS)
                                2. a:flashrom -p 0 file.rom [Enter] (to flash your card with a new BIOS)

Non Standard Procedure:
                                (If you are trying to flash a bios for a different card then you will get a security warning that the bios does not match your card. If you are absolutely sure that the bios is compatible you can use the -f parameter to force flashing)
                                2*. a:flashrom -f -p 0 file.rom [Enter] (to flash your card with a new BIOS)

Another way for making a Backup of the Original BIOS, which is more simple, is using the ATITool (v0.0.20) program.

- Backup with ATITool - Use ATITool v0.0.20 or v0.0.21
                                Standard Procedure:
                                1. Launch ATITool
                                2. Use "dump bios" Function and dump the BIOS to backup.rom (to backup the Orginal BIOS)

When you have a Backup of your Original BIOS, please also submit it on my site or mail it to meThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it , so that I can put it in my Archive.
                                Try to Provide the following information :
                                - Brand of the Card
                                - Type of the Card
                                - Amount of Memory of the Card
                                - Brand of the Memory (when possible)
                                Source

Also See above TechPowerUp Link
                                techPowerUp! :: Guide to Video BIOS flashing

Other BIOS Files/Tips/Guides

HD4850 BIOS thread - XtremeSystems Forums

TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor v1.19
                                techPowerUp! :: Download TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor v1.19

Various BIOS's HD 4850
                                techPowerUp! :: Video Bios Collection

Be sure you know this is a risk, and you can brick your GFX Card!!!
                                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-27-2009, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X