This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

without realising I'd probably destroy my motherboard I updated my bios through @bios. When the computer restarted it's now in an endless loop, it gets through the "press del to enter bios setup, end for qflash" menu and the memory check screen, but straight after that it reboots itself.

I've tried using qflash to revert back to the original bios version from giga-byte.com but that hasnt done anything

any help would be appreciated because I'm at wits end

Comment

Since you can get into the BIOS and Qlfash you are fine. @BIOS Kills the board so you could not get into either if it was going to affect you.

What you need to do is remove all but one stick of ram and or do that and clear the CMOS and then go into the BIOS and load optimized defaults, and set your ram voltage and reboot back to the BIOS. Then make all other changes again dont forget your SATA/Disk settings

Comment

I tried resetting the board by removing the battery (following the mobo's manual directions) but it's just made the problem worse.

now when I turn my pc on all all my fans spin (case, cpu, graphics) for a few seconds then it resets itself. I dont even get the little beep to say the mobo's working correctly

Comment

Remove all but one (Known Good) stick of ram in slot one. And see if that helps, if not try the method I posted in Post #2 of this thread to clear your CMOS

Comment

On 1st page Lsdmeasap said that without having floppy drive set before bios went bad, it will not work to fix it with award flash utility. I had no floppy and it was also turned off in bios before it went bad. I get CMOS checksum error and few options like enter Qflash, bios ... but can not enter either of those, the screen just goes blank black. Tried getting out battery and shorted cmos pins. See that wont get me far, specialy after reading this post.
            So is there any other option to try, can i even get floppy to work, regarding it was disabled in bios?
            I read somewhere that bios chip can be sent to reprogram. Altho i dont even know yet that it can be removed from this mobo (gigabyte ga-k8nf-9 rev1.0).
            Also some bizare post i`ve read, that when you got 2 same or similar boards, one can loosen bios chip a bit, than run healthy mobo just untill pressing last yes on flashing it. Than carefully remove bios chip and place in the bad bios chip and press last yes on flashing procedure. Pointing out that it should be done with great care. Sounds bit dangerous doing all that while pc is running. Asking bout this because the other pc has same motherboard, only rev2.0
            Ok, anyway, is there any last resort for me to salve bios, before trying to find someone who would reprogram it?

thank you for any advice

Comment

CMOS Checksum error is good, that just means your CMOS has been cleared. Choose Load optimized or enter Qflash and flash your BIOS. If you cannot press any buttons you need to get a PS/2 Keyboard and hook that up to use as this is likely the issue with your Keyboard not working in the BIOS

If you can still get to the BIOS or Qflash, or that CheckSum error page your BIOS is still fine you just need to get a working keyboard to make a choice

Comment

How about DualBIOS (GA-EP35C-DS3R)? I know what it is but ... does it mean I don't have to be afraid of @BIOS ? Does it mean I can try resetting my computer when flashing ? ;) (Just to test if it works :))

Comment

No, it does not mean that. You can test trying those things if you like, but I would advise against it. Dual BIOS works sometimes, and sometimes not depending on various factors.

Comment

Done ! :D
                    2 hours of reading, preparing, praying, doublechecking, hesitating, again praying and it's done :) Quite easy and painless. Everyting seems fine and now I can use DES advanced :D
                    Thanks for instructions! Great tutorial!

P.S. I am especially grateful for tips because at first I wanted to do this by the book (manual) using @bios.

Comment

Glad to see you had no issues! It is safe and simple once you know what to expect and how to go about things!

Good luck with your new BIOS (Just incase you are a overclocker)

Happy New Year!!

Comment

amazing guide to Qflash mate

have to admit i have only ever used @Bios in the past
                        but never again now i know how easy this is

thanks

Comment

Glad you found this useful! The more boards this saves the better

It could be cleaned up a bit and re-wrote/re-arranged but I have yet to find time sadly

Comment

Qflash is very good.Easy! Iv'e got f4 through f7a loaded on a 4gb flash drive so if I need to I'm done in 5 minutes.
                            Q9550 EO 4.0ghz 475x8.5 1.325v LLC on
                            Gigabyte EP45-UD3P f9c OCZ Vendetta2 w/bolt kit
                            4x2gb OCZ PC2 8500 5-6-6-18 1.9v @950mhz
                            Asus 4870 512 Scythe Musashi
                            Ocz Gamextream 600w
                            2x300gb Velociraptors RAID0
                            CoolerMaster Stacker 830
                            Dynex 32" HDTV on HDMI
                            Vista Premium 64-bit

Comment

ok im redy to flash my bios with q flash and a floppy. do i quick format the floppy and use just the bios file f6.. is this right.
                              Gigabyte ep45-ud3p q9550@4037 true 120 black.
                              mushkin pc8000 2x2 4g gtx260 216 ocz 700w ps.

Comment

Yeap, that is all you need in Qflash is the F6 file

Comment

Working...
                                X