This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

The last issue I knew of was fixing the ICH9R thing of the board. This however was done in F5, the current BIOS I'm using, and not the latest release, F6a. If all the latter does is allow support for more CPUs then it isn't worth it.

Comment

Ya, if you are fine with F5 then keep it until F6 is final. There may be some additional things being addressed with it but I am not aware of any.

Since you are having no issues best to wait so you dont end up not liking it, wasting your time and loosing your settings, and having to flash back.

Comment

I'm not an admin here, but mate, I'm fairly sure a post who's only and entire purpose is to advertise is not looked kindly upon! Don't do it again!

Comment

HAHA

Who you talking to? Or has the spammer already been zapped?

Comment

Already zapped by the looks of it.

UPDATE: Stable with EX38-DS4's F6a BIOS. Flashed it exactly as instructed too! :)
            Last edited by Nova Phoenix; 10-20-2008, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Hi

I read the flashbios-qflash guide on gigabyte website, I have 2 questions.

1. It says to flash the main BIOS and then repeat for the backup BIOS, do you have to repeat or can you leave it running the old BIOS so that if there is a problem you can maybe have an option to go into BIOS and q-flash and copy backup (old) back into the just flashed main BIOS that caused issues?

2. If you load default setting after a BIOS flash, then if for example you have 2.1V RAM that refused to POST at default EP45-DS4 MB setting, which is 1.8V, then you will have to take the RAM out and put maybe 1.8V RAM and go into BIOS and adjust DRAM Voltage to 2.1V and power off and replace back with orginal high performance RAM, this is terrible and there must be a better and more fool proof method.

regards

krishan
              krishan

EP45-DS4
              E8500
              4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
              Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
              XFX 898MB 260GTX
              Corsair HX620

Comment

Do you have DQ6? If not you do not need to worry about question 1. If you do, then yes you can leave the old in there if you like, as long as it is compatible with your CPU

As for 2, when you load optimized, before you save and apply you can change the voltage to 2.1. That would be fine for sure

Comment

I have the EP45-DS4, so I assume you mean, just repeat for backup BIOS as well, is that correct?

On the RAM, ok, if I first time load default setting and then go into DRAM Voltage and set that to 2.1 and save it with a profile name, then if I flash BIOS I will load the saved profile that includes just the adjusted RAM voltage, is that OK?

KRISHAN
                  krishan

EP45-DS4
                  E8500
                  XFX 898MB 260GTX
                  Corsair HX620

Comment

DS4 you cannot access the backup BIOS so you will not have to worry about that

As for Ram and your flash, after you flash Load optimized defaults in the BIOS and before you save and apply just go into the MIT Section and set the ram voltage you want. Then hit save and apply/reboot. You don't have to save a profile for that, and really you cannot because the next time you flash that profile will be gone and different BIOS adjustments may be made internally with the new BIOS version anyway. So you would need to do it the way I say above after each flash

Comment

Hello

I am ready to flash my BIOS for the first time ever. My MB is EP45-DS4 Rev. 1.0 running BIOS F6.

1. Can I go direct to F9?
                      2. When you extract the downloaded file it comes as 3 files as in the attachment, do I only copy the .......F9 (1M) file onto the floppy?

thanks

krishan
                      Attached Files
                      krishan

EP45-DS4
                      E8500
                      XFX 898MB 260GTX
                      Corsair HX620

Comment

Yes, you can flash right to F9. Yeap, you only need the ep45ds4.f9 file on the floppy if you are using qflash.

Dont forget to load optimized defaults after you flash

Comment

I flashed to F9, all was OK, for a few hours, started loading additional programs and then started seeing Blue screens.

I thought it might be the programs, but in the end, after messages back to microsoft, it would report hardware problem, CPU/RAM/PSU.

So what I did was take my easytune SPORTS setting back to disabled, and all OK, tried CRUISE, no problems, but under 3DMARK6 the score is less than when I had it on SPORTS and F6, so I have a couple of choices I want to run past you:

1. Go back to F6, Can you go back?, Is that the best option or someother inbetwen?

2. Since it is DualBIOS, why is there no option to revert to last version of BIOS, ie. F6?

3. Any other suggestions

krishan

Add NOTE:

I have gone back to F6, and interesting results.
                          Using Easytune SPORTS setting 3DMARK6 score with F6 is 15675, With F9 system crashes. With above reset to disabled and CPU frequency enabled and FSB overclocked to 380MHz, using F6 score is 15650, using F9 score is 15771. Given that I am not looking to go into serious overclocking at the moment I am better off with F6 BIOS
                          Last edited by krishcanag; 10-31-2008, 05:43 PM. Reason: done it
                          krishan

EP45-DS4
                          E8500
                          XFX 898MB 260GTX
                          Corsair HX620

Comment

Yes you can go back, but it is better for you to not use those "Sport" type settings and just set everything yourself.

There is, but you can only access that if your board BIOS crashes

F9 BIOS is way better, likely uses some more advanced settings which your old BIOS did not have. Again, best to disable that and manually set things, you will get far better scores

Comment

Hi... can use a BETA BIOS???? is Reliable???????????

In my case F4A Ep35 Ds3 F3 (Rev 2.1)

Comment

Yes, you can try a Beta BIOS. Just remember it is Beta, and may or may not have issues

Comment

Working...
                                X