Sapphire 5870
    x-fi platinum
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB
    Cooler Master silent pro M 700W
    HAF 922

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Hello.
      I've got Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L rev. 1.1, C2D e5200, 2GB memory, no overclocking, int. video.

I used @BIOS utility to update BIOS from F6 to F9 (I know, it's all my fault and I shouldn't use this but... what has been done cannot be undone). Anyway, after restarting my PC cannot boot up! The symptoms are as follows:
      - CPU fan is working and rotating;
      - HDD working;
      - Keyboard seems not to work (no leds are blinking);
      - The system speaker beeps 3 times (1 long beep and 2 short beeps).
      I cleared CMOS with jumper, I replaced system battery, but none helped.

So, what can I do with this problem? Maybe, I should try recover BIOS with FDD?
      Last edited by nnmd; 02-28-2009, 07:07 AM.

Comment

How long did you try to clear the CMOS? I would advise trying for 20-30 minutes with a jumper. Please see my method in post #2 of this thread and see if you have any better luck with that.

There is also FDD recovery method's outlined in that same post #2

The error beep you describe is Graphics related, can you try removing the GFX card and reinserting it? Could help?

You could also see if having only one stick of ram in slot one gives you any better results.

If you feel nothing works for you and you must RMA, please let me know and I will give you a last resort link before you have to RMA.

Since you mentioned FDD, Assuming you ALREADY have it connected and set as first boot device, you should be able to blind flash back to the BIOS you was using previously. If you did not already have a FDD connected you will be out of luck using those methods, just a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          How long did you try to clear the CMOS? I would advise trying for 20-30 minutes with a jumper. Please see my method in post #2 of this thread and see if you have any better luck with that.

There is also FDD recovery method's outlined in that same post #2

The error beep you describe is Graphics related, can you try removing the GFX card and reinserting it? Could help?

You could also see if having only one stick of ram in slot one gives you any better results.

If you feel nothing works for you and you must RMA, please let me know and I will give you a last resort link before you have to RMA.

Since you mentioned FDD, Assuming you ALREADY have it connected and set as first boot device, you should be able to blind flash back to the BIOS you was using previously. If you did not already have a FDD connected you will be out of luck using those methods, just a heads up.
          After your suggestion I cleared CMOS for about 2 hrs. It hadn't help unfortunately.

I have no external GFX card so I have nothing to remove and reinsert. I used internal graphics.

I have only one stick of RAM so I tried to put it in both slots - no positive results.

I have connected FDD after BIOS failure, so by default the boot priority set as HDD 1st and CD 2nd, and no FDD mentioned at all.

So, what about 'last resort' link? It's the last hope I suppose.

Comment

I meant your internal GFX Card? Not sure why you thought I said external, but sorry if something I said confused you there.

Ya, the FDD afterwords is of no help with this issue.

Try reseating your Graphics card, and if you have a older one or different one try that as well.

If not, let me know and I will send the Last Resort link to you

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              I meant your internal GFX Card? Not sure why you thought I said external, but sorry if something I said confused you there.

Ya, the FDD afterwords is of no help with this issue.

Try reseating your Graphics card, and if you have a older one or different one try that as well.

If not, let me know and I will send the Last Resort link to you
              It seems some misunderstanding here
              When I said 'internal GFX' I meant integrated graphix. I just want to say that I have no cards inserted in motherboard, no network, graphix, tv-tuner or anything else cards. Only MB+CPU+RAM+HDD - that's my whole PC. Therefore I can't remove and reinsert GFX unless I have to solder out Intel G31 chip and solder in it again ;)

So, if I understood you right I should try to insert graphix card in PCI-express slot? I'm going to try this tomorrow when I borrow one from my friend and really hope it's gonna work. But if you meant PCI graphic card it's supposed to be a little bit harder (just not to say impossible :)

Comment

Ahh ok, Seems I was confused!!

Sorry, I thought you had a PCIE card or similar. I guess I did not notice you had the onboard GFX. Well that error beep is a Graphic card or monitor beep. I doubt it could have anything to do with your monitor, nor do I see how any monitor could affect a motherboard? If you have another monitor try it out, but I do not think that is it.

Sounds like you may have to RMA possibly?

I will PM you the Last resort link now, My PM box is full so you wont be able to reply in a PM to me (I need to get into my PM box and empty it, just have not had time yet)

Comment

Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev.2.0.

I used @bios to update my bios online, but the system got unstable so I dl older bios files from GB website, and tried to make my system stable againg, but then I flashed with *.F1 something went wrong, because now I can't update my bios, with either qflash with usb key, it fails then I press return to confirme checksum something and with @bios, even though it shows me the upgrade to *F9B, the program shuts down with an error message then I try to upgrade with the latest bios.
                  But I can still boot up windows Vista.

Comment

Try to clear your CMOS and use only one stick of ram in slot one. Then after you clear your CMOS see if you can enter Qflash By pressing the End Key at bootup and if so flash back to a newer BIOS.

More info is needed, please post your full specs. Not sure why you would go back to F1 BIOS, but I can say it may not support your CPU is why you are having issues. That or because you used @BIOS.

Since you can get into windows you sound to be ok. What Does CPU-z show in the Mainboard tab for your BIOS version now.

Please from now on only use Qflash. And ya know, you can also use DOS + FlashSPI and flash if Qflash tells you no

Comment

My specs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
                      Systemtype: x64-based PC
                      BIOS-version/Date: Award Software International, Inc. F1, 12-06-2007
                      Intel Core Duo E8400 @3.00 GHz
                      Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 9600 512MB
                      RAM: 2x2GB 800MHz

Don't know if you need more info?

The info I get then I start up @BIOS:
                      Flash Memory Type: EMPTY SPACE
                      Flash Memory Size: Unknown ( I think this is the problem?)
                      BIOS Sign on Message: Intel P35 BIOS for P35-DS3L F1
                      BIOS Vender: AWARD BIOS

Then I tried to update by file, I got an error stating:
                      Can not load ROM image from BIN file.
                      Maybe BIN file size not match.

Then I tried to update BIOS from GIGABYTE Server:
                      It finds Intel P35, AWARD BIOS, Ver.F9B, but then I tried to update, @BIOS Application stopped working.

But here's what I've tried:

1. Using @Bios to update online or by file, but now I know I shouldn't have done that. Worked before I flashed with BIOS ver.F1, but I thought it would be safe, because GIGABYTE made this software :)

2. Removing one RAM block, resetting CMOS, starting QFLASH:
                      After reading BIOS file from USB key, Checksum=9200, Are you sure.... press Enter, !!BIOS ROM Programming error!!

3. One RAM block, resetting CMOS, using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and the USB boot files on my USB key.
                      C:\> flash895 P35DS3L.F*
                      Bad command or file name

4. I also tried to remove the battery from the mainboard, and plug it in again after some minutes. Loading optimised CMOS and adjusting the settings.

The only settings I mess with in CMOS is, enable USB Keyboard and mice, from 32 bit to 64 bit. And disable FLOPPY.
                      Last edited by tmaxel; 03-10-2009, 03:05 AM.

Comment

I managed to flash my BIOS back to F8 :)

GIGABYTE support suggested to update to *.F8 using dos + file, so I used the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool using the USB boot files, then I extracted the BIOS F8 to the USB. Reboot, booting from USB HDD and it started to update!

I'm almost sure I had tried to update to F8 before, but that dosn't matter, because it worked :)

So thank you GIGABYTE and you "Lsdmeasap" for your guide and help.

Comment

Hi,

I have a problem. Every time I start my PC, I see this message after the Gigabyte logo for the bios screen:

Warning! Bios error ...

"retrieving recovery source from hpa"

I have this config.: i7 920, EX58-UD5, gainward HD 4870X2, 3x2 GB Corsair 1333 Ram, 2x WD 3200AAKS. Last week I qFlashed my bios to F6A, and after tried to install Lost Planet on my PC (which installation, by the way, used all of 6 GB of ram memory and frozed my system), I made a restart, and since than the CPU-Z utility shows me that I'm still on F3 Bios, and the recovery error post every time I start the PC.
                          What should I do to fix this problem? How bad this is?
                          By the way, I didn't tried any OC or raid array, I'm quiet happy with this rig.

Comment

I had been having BIOS problems with my Gigabyte P35-DS3L and someone over at overclock.net referred me to this thread and i just wanted to thank you so much for the detailed instructions you have here, it really helped me a lot.

Short story was the problem i ran into was that i had flashed my BIOS from F1 straight to F8 in anticipation of upgrading my C2D E6750 to a Q9550 (which requires F8 version for certain cpu steppings), but after i flashed the BIOS, any overclock changes i made in BIOS would not stick once i loaded into windows. I flashed back to F1, which allowed me to overclock again, but whenever i tried to flash to another BIOS it would give me a "BIOS ROM Error" or something to that effect. Your bootable USB solution as an alternative to using QFlash seemed to do the trick. I am now at F8 BIOS version AND can overclock!

thank you!

Comment

Glad to see you got it all flashed tmaxel, sorry for he late reply here!

@ Antivir, have you tried F6 Final or one of the later Beta's? F6f fixes Some issues for sure, I would try flashing to that BIOS. If you are unsure of how to flash, please read the Post in this thread because you do need to do some things other then just flashing, such as loading and applying optimized defaults in the correct way after you flash.

@ Bhopx

Great to hear!!! You can flash from any version to any version, but you must be sure you always load optimized defaults and apply them after you flash, then reboot back to the BIOS and set all your settings again, and don't forget your SATA Settings and Hard Drive Boot Priority as well. They MUST Be set again before you load windows, this is ESPECIALLY important if you are using RAID.

Post back anytime if you need some more help with anything! See ya at OCN

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap,

I have just one question. If I don't want to flash my bios, since I don't want to do any OC for now, is there any problem if I just let the bios as it is? Is there any possibility that my bios will crash and I won't be able to flash it after? Or you recommend to flash my bios now... I don't know what I should do, and I'd like to flash to F6 final (since it's solved for me the DES and ET problem in Vista x64) but it's not on the Gigabyte page yet.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                X