This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Thanks for the links. So I just run that program and have the x58aud3r.fg1 file on the SD card? Any other instructions necessary and/or available?

Pete

Comment

Install @BIOS,unzip file with FG1 BIOS,
      start @BIOS and "Update BIOS from file".

Follow instruction and reboot PC.

Comment

Thanks for the info, yes that all looks in line and should be correct! I have checked the file and everything looks correct, and the BIOS is correct as well, so I am not sure what is causing that issue for you?

However, since there is a new BIOS as noted above I'd go ahead with that one instead. You can either use @BIOS and Stasio mentions, or try from DOS again with a new batch file or manually, be sure to use capital Z for the /z switch.

@BIOS has been improved over the years, but I will still only use it when you absolutely have to. Thanks for your kind words and support, most appreciated!!

Comment

Thanks to you both, again. This solution worked to get the bios updated.

Unfortunately it brings no good news in terms of improved compatibility with the Kingston SSD 128G drives. So my question changes to be: Any more tricks?

Here's the history:

I first clone the OCZ using Kingston's install/boot CD's version of Acronis. I have it installed in the first SATA port, and remove the old OCZ SSD. Upon boot-up I get the following error

"Windows Boot Manager
          Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
          1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
          2. Choose your language settings and click "Next."
          3. Click "repair your computer."#
          Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

I then attempt the W7 install disk Startup Repair tool, which says that it fixed a problem:

"Root Cause Found:
          ---------------------
          Boot Manager is missing or corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
          Result: Completed Successfully"

But then when reboot, no luck.

Note that as part of the previous diagnosis I had formatted the drive to wipe out anything Acronis had left behind. Did a fresh install of Windows. At the first reboot as part of that process, I landed at the same error.

I also tried with this new BIOS to use the W7 install disk and run Bootrec /fixmbr from the command prompt. Result message says that the operation completed successfully.

But upon boot up it again gives same error as above "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".

Any other ideas? Any way to find out if Gigabyte has tested with the Kingston 128Gb SSDNow V Series drives? They still have not replied to my email of two days ago...

Thanks again,

Pete

Comment

Please remove your USB stick while you are doing the install, and just to make it easier on yourself also remove all other hard drives.

Then go into the BIOS and be sure in Advanced BIOS section that your main OS hard drive is at the top of the list in Hard Drive Boot Priority (First Setting in Advanced BIOS page)

If you must do a backup/restore and not a clean install, I would suggest you use this instead
            Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

When prompted during the restore choose Yes to restore MBR from backup. Obviously if you are using a second disk to store an image on you wont be able to remove all drives as mentioned above, so just be sure you have the MAIN OS disk set correctly to your new disk in Advanced BIOS page, and remove your USB Devices.

If you are doing a clean install it should be much easier, remove all drives and USB devices as I mentioned above, be sure your disk is set proper in Advanced BIOS, and then install.

Any SSD compatibility has nothing to do with this issue, so that's not what's going on here. The SSD incompatibilities were just SMART Command Failed errors at bootup, those have been resolved in the newer BIOS, other than that there is no issues.

*Edit*

Since you have a clean install now, if you still have that setup you can correct it manually. Remove all USB devices, set Hard Disk Boot Priority correctly, make sure disk is connected to SATAII_0 and then use the "Second Method" here with your install DVD

Comment

hi, heres the issue:
              i have a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 rev 2.1, bios FKb (the latest).
              when in qflash i try to save bios to an usb pendrive, the saved bios has a checksum different from the original!! that is to say, its a different file... is it normal???
              help please!!
              thanks

Comment

(EP45-DS4P), C2Q9550 current...
                Cleared CMOS and need to bring BIOS back up to F9beta, can I just flash last BIOS or should I do ALL revisions?
                G'David

To save a redundant double post;
                I do not require the above information as my motherboard somehow retained the (dual?) BIOS information after it posted...
                Please read this and tell me if the behaviour isn't odd.?.?.?
                Last edited by GDavidF; 05-20-2011, 11:14 PM. Reason: MB detail, then link to my EP45-DS4P's BIOS behaviour

Comment

Flash directly with F9Beta.
                  In QFlash, make sure to set Keep DMI Data = Disabled.
                  After the flash completes, boot back into the bios, load Optimized Bios defaults, press F10 to save settings and exit.
                  Boot back into the bios and set AHCI/RAID options as needed, then make any additional needed changes.

When flashing, I always use only one memory module with stock settings and timings.
                  Some of your previous stable overclocked bios settings might need to be tweaked with any new or different bios version.
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A &quot;How To ~ Qflash Guide&quot;

Help to update the BIOS GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) FE5

Choose file X58AUD5.FE5 f8 firmware error Keep DMI Data = Disabled.

Bios FD updated without any errors.....

Comment

Originally posted by NуроFеn View Post
                      Help to update the BIOS GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) FE5

Choose file X58AUD5.FE5 f8 firmware error Keep DMI Data = Disabled.

Bios FD updated without any errors.....
                      FD bios is currently installed onto main bios? Are you trying to flash fe5 with q-flash? Is the error message "file size to large? Bios sized increased from 1024kb to 2048kb.

If so you need to download the latest version of @bios and flash in windows. Make sure to check the box to clear DMI pool data. Once flashed to Fe5 you should flash the back up bios so they match to do so hold ALT+F12.
                      Main Rig
                      Gigabyte z87x-OC
                      Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                      G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                      Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                      Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                      HiS ATI HD 6950
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                      Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                      Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                      Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                      Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                      EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                      Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                      Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

I do not understand ((( test file is a copy of the BIOS FA
                        Last edited by NуроFеn; 06-22-2011, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NуроFеn View Post
                          I do not understand ((( test file is a copy of the BIOS FA
                          what bios is currently installed? Where did FA bios come from?

Bios FA - FD You should have no problems flashing with q-flash. Bios should equal 1024kb in file size 1mb. Bios Fe1 to current beta bios you will need to flash with @bios. Qflash will not work as your picture shows. USE @bios.

Once you have flashed to Fe5 and want to go back to FD or older you need to use @bios.

Once Fe5 is flashed you can use Q-flash to flash when a newer bios comes out.

Q-flash does not like file size change. If old bios and new bios file size doe not match you need to use @bios.
                          If file size match q-flash will work.
                          Main Rig
                          Gigabyte z87x-OC
                          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                          HiS ATI HD 6950
                          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                          EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Acebmxer, I do that was the last BIOS FE5 ?

Comment

Fe5 is the latest. FE was released by gigabyte but they had problems with it. So yes Fe5 is the latest.
                              Main Rig
                              Gigabyte z87x-OC
                              HiS ATI HD 6950
                              CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                              Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                              EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

how do I update FE5 ?

Comment

Working...
                                X