X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Hey everyone

Posting here after exhausting all options. I have a Gigabyte 8IP900 MB. Thing came up with a Bootlock error, Scanning for Bios in hard drive. After reading the guide, it sounds like the only way to recover is by a floppy/stiffy drive ONLY? So trying to recover via a hdd is not an option?

Regards

Johan

Comment

Yes, that may be the only option for a board that old with only one BIOS chip.

Recovery Via HDD is only possible on newer boards, that backup the BIOS to HDD.

Can you solder, if so and you can't recover via floppy you may be able to order a new BIOS chip on ebay.

Comment

been having problems with my ram/motherboard and realized my bios is out of date and its supposed to "improve memory compatibility". my last resort and no one has helped me with my thread yet on here lol but i figured bios needs to be updated anyways. my first time updating bios actually, so i just wanted to be sure with what im doing. i have a ga-h55-usb3 rev 2.0 and im trying to update to v7 bios,
        GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1156 - GA-H55-USB3 (rev. 2.0)
        the walk-through was easy on here but the files were different obviously but i just wanted to be sure.

in my case its just these 3 files?
        autoexec.bat
        h55usb3.f7
        flashspi.exe

seems like everyone had Flash895.exe also..any help would be appreciated thanks.

Comment

You can use Qflash, then you only need the h55usb3.f7 file.

Or if you want to flash from DOS then all you need is the above files, the bat file contains the command to flash once you have DOS Loaded.

Flashspi and Flash895 are the same, it's just a newer version is all.

Comment

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.
            Should this work after the motherboard gets into a state where it fails to even emit a beep code during POST?
            This method did not work for me on my h67ma-ud2h. Nor did shorting pins 4&7 or 5&6 on the main bios chip. (The h67ma has a newer BIOS chip than what is described in the BIOS chip shorting thread, an MX25L3206E, but the pins appear compatible...)

Comment

I am not sure about that, but I do know it only applies to Dual BIOS boards, which yours is so it should work.

Did you try it several times, sometimes it's tricky and you have to do it a few times until you get the timing correct. Same applies with shorting the MAIN BIOS.

As for P67 BIOS shorting, I have not looked into that yet. I'll grab the PDF for P67 BIOS chips if I can find one and see if the method would be the same.

Actually, PDF is here, and yes it looks to be the very same for either method.
              http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/h...2032Mb,%20.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                I am not sure about that, but I do know it only applies to Dual BIOS boards, which yours is so it should work.

Did you try it several times, sometimes it's tricky and you have to do it a few times until you get the timing correct. Same applies with shorting the MAIN BIOS.
                Yes I did. Since the system auto-power cycles continuously when in this state (cpu+case+power fan start, then system turns off ; repeat) , just leaving the system on for a few extra seconds results in extra retries.

Comment

Extra attempts as you mention wouldn't be the same, you need to do it exactly as I describe each one attempt. When it fails the first time, start all over again in the steps.

As for shorting, did you do that? If you did, what happens when the board restarts the second time while you are still holding the short?

Comment

Shorting pins 4&7 or pins 5&6 on the main bios chip had no effect. The system continued to fail to POST (simply would power on, spin all fans for < 1 second, light 2 of the LEDs on the motherboard, cycle off, repeat).

Attempting recovery with power supply + on/off switch technique also had no effect on the POST behavior. Tried it many times.

Also no change:
                    Removing battery with power plug disconnected, overnight, also cmos reset jumper used
                    Swap out power supply with other known working power supply
                    1 memory stick only, (trying each stick from the pair individually, in turn)

I did RMA the motherboard as nothing seems to work. However the RMA is being turned into a refund due to the motherboards being pulled from the market thanks to the intel recall.

I'm pretty troubled that dual bios seems unable to recover a system when the most likely scenario was that bios auto-recovery attempted to revert my bios and bricked the motherboard instead.

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A &quot;How To ~ Qflash Guide&quot;

RMA sounds like the only option you have left as you have tried everything else, sorry to hear you were unable to recover!

Comment

Hello,
                        I have just downloaded the latest BIOS for my GA-EP35-DS3R from this forum.
                        I got the file : EP35DS3R.ZIP
                        When I extract it I get the following file: EP35DS3R.15B

But I would have expected EPS35DS3R.F5B
                        Is this normal ?
                        Is there any problem to flash with this name or should I rename it to.F5B ??
                        Thanks in advance.
                        Regards.Michel

Comment

Did you accidentally download the one for P35 instead of EP35?

Can you upload the file and post here please, the download link for what you mention is not working for me right now.
                          http://oldforum.gigabyte.de/forumdow...1/EP35DS3R.zip

Then I can check the BIOS ID for you and let you know if it's ok to flash.

If it is, you won't need to rename it or anything, but let me check the file for you first.

Comment

Hello,
                            Looks like my reply went nowhere ??
                            I have uploaded the file here:
                            In the mean time I have asked the question directly to Gigabyte support and they gave me the same URL as the one you give in the forum.
                            So ... I have flashed my BIOS.
                            The smart failure during POST is gone ans the BIOS shows as F5B
                            So everything is OK .
                            Thanks again for your help.
                            Last edited by tilagoon; 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM. Reason: Typing error

Comment

Hmm, maybe the forum went down shortly after your reply?

Nice to hear you got the issue sorted out anyway, and good to hear all is well with your issues too!

Post back anytime

Comment

I asked this of Stasio on the latest BIOS thread but just want to make sure I understand. Latest BIOS for my EX58A-UD7 board is F8k, which is 2048 kb in size. All previous versions were 1024 kb in size, including F8g which is currently installed.

1. I believe that due to the change in BIOS size, I can not use Q-Flash to flash to the F8k BIOS - I must use DOS method on USB stick. Is this correct?

2. After flashing to F8k using DOS method, can I resume using Q-Flash to flash to newer BIOS'es (when they come out) if they are also 2048 kb in size?

Q-Flash is so much easier, I would rather use it when I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X