This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Is it ok if you put your other CPU back in? If you have not tried that please do so now, then update your BIOS with that CPU installed before putting in the new one.

Comment

I was talking to lsdmeasasp over on crucial.com. Here's my question, i was given 2 settings to do in the bios for the memory by crucial. The first is to set the voltage - 2.0 and the other was the timing to 444-12. My question is where in the bios are these settings. i'm looking in the book and i see DDR2/DDR3 Overvoltage control and high speed DRAM DLL Settings which have 2 memory timing configurations. Are these the options i need to use? Lsdmeasasp also suggested to flash the bios but after looking into this i see myself screwing this up more than not. When i reboot the machine i want to see what version of the bios i have if i can catch the screen.
      Last edited by Ronb; 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM.
      CPU - Intel i5-3570k
      Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
      BIOS Version - F18
      Ram - Corsair Vengence 1600 32GB (4 x 8GB)
      Op Sys - Win 8 64 bit on Crucial V4 64gb SSD
      Video Card - nVidia GT220
      1 500gb 7200 WD HDD in tower
      1 750gb 7200 Seagate HDD in tower
      4 exteranl drives connected via USB or of which are 1tb each sata drives the other 2 are older drives of
      250gb and 500gb.
      Cooler Master Case HAF 932 Advanced

Comment

Hey Ronb!

I'll have to go see if I can find your thread at Crucial here after a bit to verify your motherboard, but those settings should be in the MIT section of your BIOS.

Flashing your BIOS is easy as I mentioned to you, this thread is long and technical with lots of warnings just to be sure everyone knows the various ways it can be done and that they need to be careful.

You will be fine, flash with Qflash and you will be good to go.

To check the BIOS version you have now you can use CPU-z and look in the mainboard tab, or go into the BIOS and press F9 on the MAIN page of the BIOS for system information.
        CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

I'll go look up your motherboard at Crucial and edit this post with your motherboards exact setting names for things, but it should be right in the MIT Section (Main memory timings, and then Dram or DDR2 voltage control for the memory voltage)

If it is an older board, or older BIOS, you may need to press Ctrl + F1 on the MAIN Page of the BIOS *Screen will flash* then go into MIT to see all settings. This normally would not hide Main memory timings or dram voltage though.

I replied to your thread just not at Crucial, and checked inside your BIOS. DDR2/3 voltage control is your voltage settings name, you will need to put voltage control on manual or enabled first before you can set that.
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-30-2010, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I was able to figure out that i had to set the System Voltage Control to manual to get the the DDR2/DDR3 OverVoltage Control which i set to +0.2. I assume the prior setting for the DDR voltage was at 1.8 so this should do the trick but i'd like to verify that. btw i have a ga-p35c-ds3r mobo at rev 2.0. I wasn't sure about the (G)MCH OverVoltage Control so i left it. I did look at it to see that there were settings for auto and manual. I'm not sure where manual led me to. I have to look at that again. Other than that it seems like the colors on the display are more vibrant so i went in to the nvidia control panel to make some slight adjustments. I want to verify my bios version also before i even consider that. if i'm at f12 then i won't play with it since that's the last version they had for this board.

thanks for the help. I forgot i was a member here for a while. i get side tracked sometimes

Just a side note, after posting this i tried to get in to a program and my screen went black so i rebooted since nothing was happening. I changed the (G)MCH to +0.2. I'm not sure why the screen went black. The program i tried to call up wasn't responding so i tried to get into the task manager using ctrl alt del and that's when it went dark. It may be nothing

Just a side note my system froze again and again the screen went black so i had to reboot again. Both ie and windows live mail were not responding so again i tried the task manager and that's when the screen went dark. i tried the task manager now when there is no issues and i was able to access it. it sounds like something is not set right. it seems like this happens when i first turn the machine on only. any ideas?
          Last edited by Ronb; 09-01-2010, 06:59 AM.
          CPU - Intel i5-3570k
          Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
          BIOS Version - F18
          Ram - Corsair Vengence 1600 32GB (4 x 8GB)
          Op Sys - Win 8 64 bit on Crucial V4 64gb SSD
          Video Card - nVidia GT220
          1 500gb 7200 WD HDD in tower
          1 750gb 7200 Seagate HDD in tower
          4 exteranl drives connected via USB or of which are 1tb each sata drives the other 2 are older drives of
          250gb and 500gb.
          Cooler Master Case HAF 932 Advanced

Comment

Auto may or may not have been 1.8V, you would have had to check before changing it or set it back and check. Current voltage you can see in the PC Health section, +0.2 DDR2 voltage should be around 2.0V

MCH Overvoltage is probably needed, +0.2-0.3 for 4GB.

I'd need to see you exact full settings to best advise you on your issues, can you please make a new thread and fill out a template from my signature with your current settings, then I can better advise you.

Comment

Hi

i need put this 3 in the USB Flash drive to update my bios using QFlash?

autoexec
              FLASHSPI
              MA770UD3.F9g

or Only the MA770UD3.F9g

Comment

You only need the MA770UD3.F9g file with Qflash

Comment

Where i can download the QFlash?

Comment

Qflash is part of your BIOS.

You can enter Qflash from the MAIN page of the BIOS by pressing F8, or by pressing the "END" Key many times at startup (Like pressing DEL to enter BIOS, press END instead)

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                      How long, and how, are you clearing the CMOS? Try it for 20+ minutes, with the battery removed or a jumper on the clean CMOS pins and your PSU disconnected from the wall.
                      Thank You! I had just tried flashing my bios to the newest version (mobo: GA-EP45T-DS3R Bios ver F2 -> F4c) in hopes of fixing a minor issue that didn't really "need" to be fixed. This was done using the @bios utility. ya, I've herd the rumors about @bios but I couldn't get q-flash to detect my flash drive. Well, apparently something went wrong since afterwards it started rebooting every 5 seconds or so with no display. In addition to this the backup bios didn't appear to be kicking in. So, in my search for some sort of fix and after trying a few other things I came across this thread and figured trying clearing the CMOS couldn't hurt, and to my surprise it actually worked. It went through a short recovery procedure and and proceeded to boot up normally. Weird thing is the bios version it "recovered" to was the version I had just flashed "F4c." I don't know what magic just occurred but I'm glad to have my desktop back.

Comment

Just saw that a new bios (FC3) is available for my GA-X58UDR3 Rev 2 board. I already used qflash before on my UD5 and this UD3 so I know what to expect, or at least I thought I did. This time qflash Ver.2.15 said "no drives". Anyone thoughts?
                        Gigabyte GA-X58AUD3R Rev 2 Fg1 Bios w/I7-950 CPU (OC'd to 4.14)
                        (2) Gigabyte GTX-460OC 1gig in SLI OC'd to 822, mem 2000
                        Mushkin 12 gig (6X2) 998679R set @ 7-7-7-20 1.70V
                        OCZ Vertex2 100 SSD (Boot/OS Drive)
                        (2) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1T (Data Drives) Raid 0
                        Silver Arrow CPU Cooler, Coolermaster HAF922 case
                        Corsair HX-850 watt supply, Windows 7 HP 64bit

New Build:
                        Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5 Rev 1.1 F15t mod Bios w.I7-3770K (OC'd to 4.7)
                        Gigabyte GTX-660ti OC
                        Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 4 X 8 32g total
                        (2) OCZ Vertex 3 120g (raid 0) Boot/OS/Programs On Intel Sata 3 ports
                        (2) Seagate Barracuda 1T (Raid 0) Storage on Marvell sata 3 ports
                        Thermaltake Cruzer MK 1 case & Water Extreme 2.0 CPU Cooler
                        Seasonic Gold 850 power supply, Samsung burners, Windows 8 Pro

Comment

@pcporemba, I had a similar issue with Qflash (didn't see any drives), I eventually tried formatting my flash drive to a plain old FAT filesystem and that seemed to do the trick. Hope this helps.

Comment

Well after trying a few times and after seeing "Found No Drives" many times it did finally work. I just keep hitting enter and sometimes it found the drive, most times it did'nt. Re-running OCCT to see if I'm still stable at 176X23.
                            Gigabyte GA-X58AUD3R Rev 2 Fg1 Bios w/I7-950 CPU (OC'd to 4.14)
                            (2) Gigabyte GTX-460OC 1gig in SLI OC'd to 822, mem 2000
                            Mushkin 12 gig (6X2) 998679R set @ 7-7-7-20 1.70V
                            OCZ Vertex2 100 SSD (Boot/OS Drive)
                            (2) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1T (Data Drives) Raid 0
                            Silver Arrow CPU Cooler, Coolermaster HAF922 case
                            Corsair HX-850 watt supply, Windows 7 HP 64bit

New Build:
                            Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5 Rev 1.1 F15t mod Bios w.I7-3770K (OC'd to 4.7)
                            Gigabyte GTX-660ti OC
                            Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 4 X 8 32g total
                            (2) OCZ Vertex 3 120g (raid 0) Boot/OS/Programs On Intel Sata 3 ports
                            (2) Seagate Barracuda 1T (Raid 0) Storage on Marvell sata 3 ports
                            Thermaltake Cruzer MK 1 case & Water Extreme 2.0 CPU Cooler
                            Seasonic Gold 850 power supply, Samsung burners, Windows 8 Pro

Comment

Nice to see you finally got it working!

Next time you install your OS you should make a 1GB or smaller FAT32 partition at the end of your disk, that way you never have to worry if your USB Sticks fail you.

Smaller ones do work better than larger ones, so if it is a large one and you do have a smaller one then try the smaller one next time.

I can make DOS bootable CD's for people, but that is on a per BIOS level, so you would always have to PM me each time.

Someday when I have time I will make a guide on how to do that, but just too busy right now.

Comment

Added BIOS simple recovery method "BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery / Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch"

Comment

Working...
                                X