X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Originally posted by OmarD View Post
      I had take the battery out, 15 mins ago. I will wait 2 hours for re-try.
      A jumper in CLR_CMOS if you have one may help too. You can use a jumper from an old IDE CDROM or hard drive. See the manual for the location of CLR_CMOS pins for your board.

Just a long 6-8 hours clear, you can leave it for the night.

Comment

Yes, I advise the same. Clear your CMOS for a longer period of time, method suggested is in post #2 of this thread.

Hope that helps, if not let us know.

Comment

4. Then browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder on your desktop from above extraction) and press start to begin formating it.

5. Once the device is done, download the BIOS file from the Gigabyte website for your board model and revision as well as the DOS based BIOS flashing tool which is included inside downloaded BIOS .exe files from Gigabyte.

6. You will need Winrar to extract these files from the downloaded .exe file. Download Winrar Trial from the below link (Scroll down to Winrar 3.71 and download)
          WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

7. Install Winrar and right click the BIOS.exe file and choose extract "here". Three files will be extracted, Autoexec.bat, Flash895.exe, and a .Fxx Bios File. You will need the Flash895.exe and the BIOS.Fxx File only

8. Place Flash895.exe and the BIOS .Fxx file onto the USB stick

9. Plug in your USB drive and reboot to enter bios.

Sorry, first time ever flashing a bios and both a bit afraid and confused by some of the above. The downloaded Dos files contain MANY files and none of the ones you mention. Second, I'm not sure when they and the bios should be put into the USB flash device, nor in what order. Third, why would the bios for the UD7 v F6 adn F7c both be the same size? Is F7c OK and stable? Four, please clarify these two points, which given the above, I don't understand:

Three files will be extracted, Autoexec.bat, Flash895.exe, and a .Fxx Bios File. You will need the Flash895.exe and the BIOS.Fxx File only
          Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v.1 [F9d Bios] with i7-990X
          Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
          Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
          Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
          Corsair XMS-3 24GB 2000 CL 9-9-9-24
          Noctua NH D-14
          6 TB SATA II storage; 12 TB SATA III AF
          3 24" LCD screens w/Eyefinity, 9 Multi-Desktops

Comment

OK, sorry for any confusion.

The file you downloaded, extract the files to a folder or your desktop. To flash with Qflash all you need on your USB Stick is the actual BIOS file, the .F10 file for example (Replace .F10 with your actual BIOS file name .Fxx) That is all you need, the one BIOS file.

BIOS files are always the same size, 1MB or 2MB. F7c is fine to use, but it is not the latest anymore, the latest is F7e.

If you want to flash from DOS you will need to create a bootable USB Stick, which is more involved, so you may just want to do as mentioned above and use Qflash.

Comment

Originally posted by crazybear View Post
              4. Then browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder on your desktop from above extraction) and press start to begin formating it.

5. Once the device is done, download the BIOS file from the Gigabyte website for your board model and revision as well as the DOS based BIOS flashing tool which is included inside downloaded BIOS .exe files from Gigabyte.

6. You will need Winrar to extract these files from the downloaded .exe file. Download Winrar Trial from the below link (Scroll down to Winrar 3.71 and download)
              WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

7. Install Winrar and right click the BIOS.exe file and choose extract "here". Three files will be extracted, Autoexec.bat, Flash895.exe, and a .Fxx Bios File. You will need the Flash895.exe and the BIOS.Fxx File only

9. Plug in your USB drive and reboot to enter bios.

Sorry, first time ever flashing a bios and both a bit afraid and confused by some of the above. The downloaded Dos files contain MANY files and none of the ones you mention. Second, I'm not sure when they and the bios should be put into the USB flash device, nor in what order. Third, why would the bios for the UD7 v F6 adn F7c both be the same size? Is F7c OK and stable? Four, please clarify these two points, which given the above, I don't understand:

Three files will be extracted, Autoexec.bat, Flash895.exe, and a .Fxx Bios File. You will need the Flash895.exe and the BIOS.Fxx File only
              As I understand it any minor mistake can cost me a months wages here. So, 1] correct me if wrong, but Flash895.exe has been replaced by Flashspi.exe. yes or no? 2] where do I find the F7c?! 3]what other files should be on the usb flash device? 4] should autoexec.bat be? Should IO.sys and MSDOS.sys? Should Command.com? 5] Despite setting the boot device to a usb flash device, it was not recognized and [?] what was, was called a 'disk' with two files - none of them relevant...I felt afraid, and happy to be able to 'get out' and re-boot into my old system!
              Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v.1 [F9d Bios] with i7-990X
              Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
              Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
              Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
              Corsair XMS-3 24GB 2000 CL 9-9-9-24
              Noctua NH D-14
              6 TB SATA II storage; 12 TB SATA III AF
              3 24" LCD screens w/Eyefinity, 9 Multi-Desktops

Comment

Yes, flashSPI is the new DOS flashing program.

F7c is the old UD7 Beta. If you want the latest it is located here (F7e)

If you are flashing with Qflash, which I suggest, nothing else is needed only the BIOS file itself.

Use Qflash instead of DOS, it is much easier to use

Comment

Hi, I used Easytune to overclock my system using its preset settings, recently I turned them back to default and when I rebooted i got the error "Scanning hard drive for BIOS".
                  Ive treid clearing my CMOS and also tried multiple times to flash using a flash drive, firt I downloaded a BIOS from Gigabyte then I used the one on my CD. The problem Im getting is that my system doesnt even seem to recognise the Flash drive even with all other drives unplugged. Im not sure but I think I have these options...

1.format and partition a hard drive and manually install the BIOS somehow.
                  2.I read that someone else had this problem and plugged in a SATA cd drive, his system then detected the flash drive.
                  3.new BIOS chip or even MB.

Do you have any thoughts on whether these may work or have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Ive read through this thread and think big thanks are in order for the time and effort you've put in here.

ps. nearly forgot. my MB is a EX58-UDR3 revision 1.6 and the BIOS file on my CD is f6.

Comment

For EX58-UDR3 revision 1.6 you should NOT use F6 BIOS.
                    Your BIOS's are listed here:
                    GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.6) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS
                    or latest is GA-EX58-UD3R (1.6) - FJ1
                    Ask Lsdmeasap how to reflash BIOS.

Comment

How long, and how, are you clearing the CMOS? Try it for 20+ minutes, with the battery removed or a jumper on the clean CMOS pins and your PSU disconnected from the wall.

If that is how you tried then we will move on. For USB Flashing you must be able to enter Qflash or the BIOS, so if you can't don't worry about that for now.

In order to flash from your CD you need to put the CD Drive ONLY on SATAII_0 or master on an IDE Cable, then try to start the system and let it scan for the BIOS, it may or may not find it.

It wont find the BIOS on any hard drive but the one you last flashed the BIOS with, and DO NOT Format or wipe the drive. If your drive does have a backup BIOS stored on it, then it is in the HPA Section of the hard drive, something you cannot access to verify if it's there or not and that is the only place it will look. So if it did not find it there already it is likely that there isn't one stored there.

You can also try with one stick of memory in slot one, or a different brand/speed/timings stick in slot one, sometimes this will kick in the recovery. Also, sometimes flipping the PSU power button on and off many time quickly while trying to power up the board will also get things going.

Do you have a floppy drive? If so you can try a blind flash if none of the above works for you, this method is outlined on page one.

You have one other option short of RMA'n the board if none of the above helps you. You can short the MAIN BIOS chip which will make the secondary kick in and then it will recover to the MAIN chip. If things come down to that and you feel you want to do that let me know and I will link you to the info you need to read so you can try that. It does work and has saved MANY boards from RMA, but it should only be done as your last resort.

Comment

I think it would be real useful if the author could make an updated file of the procedures and hints without screen shots that could be downloaded and printed as a reference. That could be kept with the documentation. Online or as an html file, one needs the computer that is broken to fix the computer that is broken. Of course, that assumes you only have one PC.
                        Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
                        i7 3770
                        2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
                        Integrated graphics
                        Seasonic Platinum 760W
                        be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
                        Fractal Define XL R2 case
                        Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

I could maybe make a PDF or something, but I am very busy right now so it wouldn't be for a few weeks at least.

Maybe this would work for you (Printable version)

Comment

I have a gigabyte EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 bios version FB. I followed step by step the guide you have made to flash my bios to version FI using the external usb disk method. I entered dos mode, i execute the appropriate exe and bios version and the screen said completed. After that my pc couldnt start at all, it was keeping rebooting after 1 sec without any reason. I unplugged everything replugged em and i got a message that there was a bios failure and returned to FB version. I,ve done and a second time "just for any case" but the same thing happened, any idea?

Comment

Also sent via PM

Some BIOS you must flash a BIOS in between, not usually though, so you might need to flash one before that one you are trying. For now though try your flash again with only one stick of memory though, just to be sure, or try flashing from Qflash and disable Keep DMI Data before the flash.

Latest BIOS is FJ1 for your board

GA-EX58-UD3R (1.6) - FJ1

Were you maybe grabbing the wrong one, such as one for X58A-UD3R, if so this could be the issue? Try that BIOS I lined using your normal method, if it fails try again with one stick of memory, if that fails try flashing from Qflash instead

Comment

Hello!
                                I have GA-MA790FX-DS5 motherboard and today I changed my CPU, now I have AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition, but I can't update BIOS!!!! I have done everything as written in older post etc... When I finished update BIOS, I received message: !!Copy BIOS comlpeted - Pass!! After that I restart my PC, but than I've got: BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR. BIOS IMAGE RECOVERING! Can someone help me with this?
                                Thank you in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                X