This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Is there any point upgrading the BIOS from say F9g to F9?

I ask because I had updated my BIOS for my GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev 1.0) to F9g off the Gigabyte site a month or so back and now I see that it's listed as only F9. Any changes with regards to the BIOS itself between F9g & F9?

Thanks
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.836
    Core i7 3770K
    GA-Z68XP-UD3 Rev 1.0 (Award BIOS F-10)
    32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3
    Asus RX 570 OC 4GB DDR5 (20.4.2)
    1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    LG Blue Ray Writer
    Antec 650w PSU
    Rosewill Mid tower Challenger Black

Comment

Originally posted by udidwht View Post
      Any changes with regards to the BIOS itself between F9g & F9?
      Thanks
      GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0)

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"...HAVING TROUBLE! :(

I am trying to update my UD5H from f5 to F8 bios (total rookie here) via QFlash...have read and watched instructions and thank you all but I am encountering something I hadn't seen listed before.

I am in QFlash and presented with the update BIOS screen where you can select from "Update BIOS from drive", "Save BIOS to drive", and "Exit Qflash". I cannot open up the "update...." option though. I can highlight blue with the mouse or the arrows but clicking with the mouse or hitting enter once selected with the arrows does not produce the expected next screen where I can choose the USB with the f8 update on it.

The USB is plugged in and recognized through Windows.
        Keyboard and mnouse are USB wired and work in the rest of the BIOS (and work on the exit QFLASH selection).
        USB is FAT 32 (it is a USB 3.0 though)
        I have a couple other folders on the USB but the file is at the yop level outside of the folder
        USB Legacy Function is enabled
        Tried USB ports on case and on back I/O

It's like the "update option..." is locked down and won't let me in!!!

Any thoughts?

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"...HAVING TROUBLE! :(

Originally posted by manfrog View Post
          I am trying to update my UD5H from f5 to F8 bios (total rookie here) via QFlash...have read and watched instructions and thank you all but I am encountering something I hadn't seen listed before.

I am in QFlash and presented with the update BIOS screen where you can select from "Update BIOS from drive", "Save BIOS to drive", and "Exit Qflash". I cannot open up the "update...." option though. I can highlight blue with the mouse or the arrows but clicking with the mouse or hitting enter once selected with the arrows does not produce the expected next screen where I can choose the USB with the f8 update on it.

The USB is plugged in and recognized through Windows.
          Keyboard and mnouse are USB wired and work in the rest of the BIOS (and work on the exit QFLASH selection).
          USB is FAT 32 (it is a USB 3.0 though)
          I have a couple other folders on the USB but the file is at the yop level outside of the folder
          USB Legacy Function is enabled
          Tried USB ports on case and on back I/O

It's like the "update option..." is locked down and won't let me in!!!

Any thoughts?
          Got it working in terms of the issue above. Solution for me:

Used a different USB flash drive (1.1) with nothing else on it through the USB Front panel. Seems to have updated as my BIOS says F8 now.

Had some issues with getting the boot sequence to recognize the M4 SSD drive as the primary, but seems to be good there too now. I updated my USB 3 drivers after as this was a primary reason for me going to F8 (as my front USB 3.0's were not recognizing anything plugged into them). I did get an error on the USB driver update as it said one thing could not be removed and exited.

New problem though...and I Will post in the general question area, but I am getting an unkown device error in device manager. Says "other devices" > "Unkown device". Tried updating driver but nothing came up. Doesn't say what the device is or give me any clue really. I think it says on the PCI Bus.

If you know what this may be then I am posting the question in the general threads so please check there and respond. Thanks!!

Comment

Thank you so much for this guide. I just completed my first build last week with a clean install on a Sumsung 830 SSD using the UD5H platform. All was stable until I OCd my i5-3570K to a modest 4.0 GHz which threw me into the Windows start screen > BSOB flash > Windows recommends repair screen > Windows & start screen loop. Until a couple of days ago I didn't have a clue as to how to flash my BIOS. After lurking on these forums and following this guide to the letter, F8 is now loaded and running beautifully and I have a stable OC of 4.5 GHz after 24 hrs of Prime95. Thanks again!

Comment

Alright. So, I have a X58A-UD7 rev 2.0 motherboard. Overnight my CMOS randomly became corrupted (or so it seems) and now will not boot into windows. It is giving me a bunch of weird looking images and missing text during the startup.

Screenshots as follows: imgur: the simple image sharer

I tried using the Qflash and it would not actually update the CMOS and everything remains exactly the same. Also, I'm assuming that I've totally messed up my RAID array and am going to have to re create it, since when I initially started the computer up in the morning i went away for like 10 minutes and it still hadn't booted into windows, and I am now getting an "Operating system not found" message at the verifying DMI pool.

I followed the Qflash guide to a T, but nothing is working. Does anyone who has experience in attempting to fix corrupted CMOS's have any advice? Maybe a step by step guide on what I should do?

Any help is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, the messed up looking BIOS screen also has random letters that wont appear, such as B's or M's or any random letter. Some of the letters flash and some of the letters just dont show up at all. Others morph back and forth from being normal.

Comment

I've done a few BIOS updates to my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (1.3), but with the UEFI one I'm confused. My OS is Win 7/8x64 on an SSD. After resetting the BIOS, I tried to flash from a USB stick using Q-Flash, but when I clicked down into the list of one - "H" - it saw @BIOS folder and Z68XUD3H.U1H. I tried the latter, but it wasn't liked. Is that related to your comments a page back about BIOS file size? I had assumed the idea was to install @BIOS on the USB stick, because it's ill advised to run it from within Windows, but it installs on the OS drive not the stick. Hence, my confusion. What do you suggest? Thanks,
                ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Intel i7-4790K
                32 GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 RAM (Ares 4x8gb)
                EVGA GTX950 SC
                Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C cooler w/ Nexus Silent Fan
                Seasonic X650 PSU
                Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD (system drive)
                SanDisk ExtremePro 480, Seagate 1TB, 2TB and 2x 3TB SATA 6Gb/s
                Plextor PX-891SA CD/DVD Writer/Player
                Dell U2412M Monitor (1920x1200)
                IBM Model M keyboard / Bornd M120 wireless mouse
                Thermaltake F31 Case
                Canon MP640 / Brother HL-2270DW printers
                Audio system: Dac + Powered speakers + USB card + LPS + power cond./distrib.
                Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Do NOT use QFlash or @BIOS when updating from legacy to UEFI.

From GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev. 1.3) Download bios page, it says:
                  • 0. UEFI BIOS (When updating from legacy to UEFI, use only the utility attached to your BIOS file)
                  • (Note) Some GIGABYTE utilities are not supported under UEFI BIOS architecture. Please remove Smart6, Dynamic Energy Saver, Smart TPM, and Touch BIOS utilities before updating the BIOS.

The following files are in the mb_bios_ga-z68x-ud3h-b3_u1h.exe bios download file:
                  • autoexec.bat
                  • Z68XUD3H.U1H
                  • FLASHEFI.EXE

You should create a bootable flash drive and copy these 3 files to the flash drive.
                  When you boot using your flash drive, the autoexec.bat file should automatically start the flash process using the Flashefi.exe program.
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

• Re: BIOS Flashing - A &quot;How To ~ Qflash Guide&quot;

Thanks. I had seen that and forgotten, so your clarification helped. A seemingly weird thing happened after the BIOS update went fine and I reset the defaults: the computer rebooted straight into Windows 8 no problem. I did it twice to be sure. But when I changed a couple BIOS settings (ACHI and one other small thing), Windows ran into problems and went into a repair cycle. Eventually, I reset the BIOS defaults and allowed Win to do a restore. After that, it booted to the desktop but warning message said I had to reactivate, which I did by phone. The other thing in BIOS is that it wouldn't let me change the default memory settings from 1.60 to 1.88, which I had run previously (the memory is PC2133). The "Auto" looked like it could be tabbed to or clicked on and adjusted, but it never responded. There iss one other problem concerning Marvell Storage Utility and Apache, but I'll post that in a separate thread.
                    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Intel i7-4790K
                    32 GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 RAM (Ares 4x8gb)
                    EVGA GTX950 SC
                    Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C cooler w/ Nexus Silent Fan
                    Seasonic X650 PSU
                    Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD (system drive)
                    SanDisk ExtremePro 480, Seagate 1TB, 2TB and 2x 3TB SATA 6Gb/s
                    Plextor PX-891SA CD/DVD Writer/Player
                    Dell U2412M Monitor (1920x1200)
                    IBM Model M keyboard / Bornd M120 wireless mouse
                    Thermaltake F31 Case
                    Canon MP640 / Brother HL-2270DW printers
                    Audio system: Dac + Powered speakers + USB card + LPS + power cond./distrib.
                    Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

You're welcome, glad to hear that your bios update worked.
                      Please create a new thread with your other issues, because this thread is a bios flashing guide.
                      Be sure to detail exactly which bios settings your changed, especially which AHCI setting you had and the new setting.
                      It will help if you provide a link to the specific web page for your memory's specifications and include a cropped screen-shot of the cpu-z SPD information.
                      Last edited by profJim; 12-11-2012, 11:48 PM.
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hi,
                        I use a GA-x48-DQ6 with an old BIOS version and I want to update via Qflash to F8d version to improve memory performance and update AHCI ROM.
                        After the update the mbs boot, have a long beep, the coolers runs and reboots continuously.
                        I read the Gigabyte thread about this problem and I tried to short the pins 5-6 and 6-7. After a lot of tries I seen a led activity on monitor and I recorded the very short message:
                        "Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0....
                        Scanning BIOS image in Hard Drive"I supposed that the second BIOS chip not working, or the back-up BIOS is wrong and I tried to boot with floppy, CD and USB. I formatted a floppy but there is no led activity-is not read the floppydisc; I inserted the Xpress CD , is a led blinking on DVDrom but this is not read the CD; I have maked a bootable USB Flash with f7 version of BIOS. Finally I tried to make a fat32 partition and a hfs partition with BIOS files, but the BIOS not reading the HDDs.
                        None of the methods did not give the expected result, so please help me and tell me where I'm wrong, I don't want to make a RMA.....

Thanks.

LE: A visit to the proper man solved the problem - BIOS rewrite!
                        Last edited by ispasion22; 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I have run into a problem installing a BIOS update... and it seems this Thread might actually be dead. I hope not, but I have to seek help somewhere.

I'm trying to enable AMD FX Processors on my motherboard with an update, but I can't get Q-Flash to accept the update for it.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
                          Version: FA (? Don't see it on the GIGABYTE Site. Could it be a really old version?)
                          Desired Version: F9 (F9 File)
                          Method: Q-Flash

Windows Version: 7 Ultimate x64

Problem: Q-Flash tells me that the F9 File is "invalid". I've downloaded the 7zip File directly from GIGABYTE, so I have no idea why it would be invalid.
                          I heard there might be a hidden File when extracting the 7zip File that is the actual BIOS... but I have no idea how to look for it.

Comments:
                          I tried using @BIOS, but now that I've seen this Thread, I'm glad I never got it working.

When opened, the Update 7zip Archive. I thought the "F9" File was the Update. Am I wrong?
                          Last edited by Lt. Surge; 05-17-2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

GA-990FXA-UD3 has 4. revisions,be sure which one is your,as BIOS is not same.

Rev.1.0
                            Lasting Quality from GIGABYTE.GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ motherboards bring together a unique blend of features and technologies that offer users the absolute ...

Rev.1.1
                            Lasting Quality from GIGABYTE.GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ motherboards bring together a unique blend of features and technologies that offer users the absolute ...

Rev.1.2

Rev.3.0

Revision number is on the bottom left corner on board.
                            Last edited by stasio; 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                              GA-990FXA-UD3 has 4. revisions,be sure which one is your,as BIOS is not same.
                              Holy cow, I can't believe I forgot that Revisions were important!

Thank you very much. I will attempt with the right Rev.

EDIT:

Alright! Thanks to stasio, I have successfully installed Version FC on my GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3!

Now, I will attempt to replace my Sempron with my FX-8120!

EDIT 2:

It's working.

After a week of arduous deliberation... I've finally done it! And such a simple solution, too...

Thanks a lot, stasio. Unless you don't like strangers giving you hugs, I'd hug you right now :)
                              Last edited by Lt. Surge; 05-18-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

No problem,at least you flash to newer BIOS and can run FX-8120.

Comment

Working...
                                X