• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Latest BIOS Update from the Website. I am going to give it a go

F10 2008/09/22 1. Fixed Vista S3 resume sometimes failed

Comment

Thanks for your help Lsdmeasap ........update the BIOS on my EP43-DS3R and so far so good ...... thanks

Comment

This all sounds very promising! I'm thinking I'm going to just install the new BIOS tonight and RMA that extra RAM I ordered.

By the way... I failed to mention this before, but in WoW I've been getting errors along the lines of The memory could not be "read" that occur very randomly. Sometimes it won't happen for days, other times it'll happen every couple of hours.

I wonder if this new BIOS will reduce or eliminate the occurance of that issue.

I have not yet had a chance to really test the RAM extensivly. One of these nights I'll set up a memory test before I go to sleep if the problem persists with the new BIOS.

Comment

@Rezerected: DES is worthless - just uninstall it. S3 is real energy savings...as close as you can get to shutdown. If you are still having problems, I suspect it is your BIOS settings. This fix was night and day for me.
          @Arctia: I personally have turned Speedstep back on, and seem to have no problems with it. I actually like the idea that my machine idles at 2.4G when doing essentially nothing, but cranks up to 3.4G when required. Keeps everything cool and I feel better about the longevity of my hardware. I agree that it's best to have the Windows runtime energy tools off until you have your BIOS dialed in, then turn them back on once everything is stable. LSD will say keep them off, but there you go...
          @Kythlyn: I have had some random memory errors at Windows runtime in the past, too...in every case, it came down to memory timings. Now it's rock solid, even after S3...yaay!
          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
          Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Install and working! My rig has been in and out of S3 sleep without a problem. looks like Gigabyte final took note of our complaints.

Comment

First off all, sorry I have been MIA for 2 nights! I had to redo my whole Watercooling Loop when I installed my new board. Something I did not plan on at all!

Now, onto business!

GREAT To see everyone has had sucess!! I will let Gigabyte Know, the rest of the models will be released/posted today

Originally posted by Blackbat View Post
              Sorry - are you saying that the P45-DS4 BIOS (and the others lsted above) won't be fixed ?!
              See Above comment, I said on 9/25, sorry if I confused you. Yes, all will be ported with the fix.

Originally posted by mxcrowe View Post
              Really happy to see that Gigabyte appears to have come up with a fix, and in any case, at least they are clearly addressing the issue and I'm sure it will be fixed across the board (pardon the pun) soon! We all owe LSD a debt of gratitude for his tireless patience, not only with posters here, but with Gigabyte. Thanks for keeping this on their radar, L!!
              And don't worry about sending me the DS3R BIOS...once I saw it was for that flavor of board, I didn't flash with it. Just grateful that you took the time to keep me posted on the progress.
              -MXC
              Just glad to see you read the download desc. beforehand, and not just grabbed and extracted it and flashed! Sorry again, glad all is fine!

Originally posted by mxcrowe View Post
              Ok, I have flashed up to F9 and benchmarked the crap out of this thing. STR and resumed 3 times in a row with no problems at all. Waited several minutes between each STR state. My system now acts as it should with both DIMMs in bank 1 and 3 (dual channel). Wow...that was like pulling teeth out of a great white shark! But worth the wait! Now my Gigabyte system is finally stable!!
              THANKS LSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Superb! Thanks for letting us know for sure

Originally posted by imweasel View Post
              I must agree - thanx LSD! Thanks for keeping this issue alive and keeping the pressure on until it was addressed.

Other than this issue - I have no issues with this board. Quite a difference from my experiences with my Abit boards/support in the last year.
              Anytime man, that's why I am here

Originally posted by strike23 View Post
              Thanks for your help Lsdmeasap ........update the BIOS on my EP43-DS3R and so far so good ...... thanks
              Anytime, you need some help with anything else? Feel free to post, I will help you as much as I can

Comment

i uninstalled DES Advance yet I'm still getting BSOD. everything is set to auto except RAM which I set to 2.1. i'm not overclocking yet either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rezerected View Post
                  i uninstalled DES Advance yet I'm still getting BSOD. everything is set to auto except RAM which I set to 2.1. i'm not overclocking yet either.
                  Might wanna do a memtest then. Should start your own thread, LSD will be able to help you better without clustering this thread.

Comment

@Rezerected: it's unlikely to be stable with everything on auto. I think the best thing is for you to start a new thread, post your full specs, fill out the BIOS template, and let's get your system working!
                    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Comment

Success on my end too. Stable with 2x2GB and now also stable with 4x2GB. WoW isn't crashing anymore either. ;) *knock on wood*

Comment

Ah, the simple joy of just pushing the sleep button and having the machine go quiet. Even better to just hit the keyboard and have it wake up again instantly! I've been going in and out of S3 all day...no problems at all.

Comment

I wasn't getting the sleep feature love that all of you have gotten after the F10 bios, so I felt a bit left out but thankfully, I've found the solution to my problem. At the same time though, this could possibly mean that there are still other bugs to work out.

The reason why I was getting a BSOD every time I came back from sleep was because I had AHCI enabled. It had nothing to do with RAM timings or any other setting on the BIOS except for the AHCI feature being turned on.

I'm not sure if this is only affecting my Samsung F1 750gb spinpoint hard drive or all Sata II hard drives with AHCI enabled, but maybe Gigabyte can look into this further to see if it's just a matter of an incompatibility that cannot be fixed or maybe something that can be resolved in a future BIOS update.

I'm glad I got S3 sleep to work because it's coming down to the last 2 days for me to return this board and for the most part, this board has been stable except for S3 sleep until now. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of paying return shipping, paying restocking, and figuring out what board to replace it with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            They will be making all other models available on 9/25. I will pass on your results tonight.
                            No sign of the new BIOS for the EP45-DS4 yet. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the other models.

Comment

Should be posted, but you are right I see it is not at .com or .tw for DS4 or DS4P

I will ask them if there is a issue or if it just got overlooked if they are not up by monday, since it is already 6PM on Friday night there now

Comment

It's now Monday and there's still no sign of the outstanding P45 BIOSs. Any chance of finding out what's happened to them?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X