GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

GA-EP45-DS4 with C2D E8400 and 2x 2GB OCZ PC2-8500 Platinum (dual chan kit), Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB
    On SATA: 2x Seagate 7200.11 1TB, LG GGC-H20L
    On PCI-e: Asus Xonar DX
    On PCI: Hauppauge WinTV Primio FM

The system has been rock solid with everything I've thrown at it so far, except for waking from S3. Wouldn't clock or voltage issues have different symptoms and cause more general instability? Thanks!
    Last edited by Evinyatar; 10-12-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evinyatar View Post
      GA-EP45-DS4 with C2D E8400 and 2x 2GB OCZ PC2-8500 Platinum (dual chan kit), Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB
      On SATA: 2x Seagate 7200.11 1TB, LG GGC-H20L
      On PCI-e: Asus Xonar DX
      On PCI: Hauppauge WinTV Primio FM

The system has been rock solid with everything I've thrown at it so far, except for waking from S3. Wouldn't clock or voltage issues have different symptoms and cause more general instability? Thanks!
      Sorry to go OT here but how good is the Asus Xonar DX? I have been researching the Asus Xonar for the past few months now and was looking at the Xonar D2X but here in Australia it seems to be a fair bit more expensive then the D2 but from my research they are pasically exactly the same except the D2X uses PCIe slot and comes with a few extra features (software wise)
      CPU: C2D E8500 1.2250V
      RAM: OCZ Reapers DDR2 800 (4-4-4-15) 2.1V
      Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-DS3P
      PSU: Corsair HX620 - 620W
      Case: CoolerMaster CM690
      HDD1: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
      HDD2: Western Digital 640GB 640AACS

Comment

Originally posted by _FAKE_ View Post
        Sorry to go OT here but how good is the Asus Xonar DX?
        It's been relatively hassle free (compared to the X-Fi I had in my previous system). Some issues with Crysis Warhead in which the sound would suddenly turn into screeching noise but that's the only issue I've had. Analog audio is very decent for its price; the D2 and D2X will probably do slightly better but I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference with my Z-5500.

On topic again: I tried setting VDIMM to 2.1V (as listed on OCZ's product page, and as opposed to the 1.8V suggested by the "Auto" setting) and there has been no difference in waking up from S3.

Comment

Well man, you most likely have to add some MCH voltage, and you have to manually set trfc. And depending on what BIOS settings you are using Auto may also be using incorrect values for trd as well

As for it causing general instability that you would see or not, that depends. Often times if you do not test your ram and system and you have it overclocked or not many errors could be happening that you do not even know about, slowly corrupting data on your disk.

Do you ever test the system with stability tools such as Memtest86+ or orthos?

Comment

I ran the built in Vista memory test (the one you can find in the bootloader, it contains the same tests as Memtest86 and some more) for about 18 hours (8,5 passes) and it was not able to find any errors. Extended test, and default BIOS settings. I have also just tried resetting the CMOS again, and unplugging the Xonar and WinTV but it still showed the same behaviour.

Comment

Vista Memory test is garbage, and does not contain those tests you mention. Please run Memtest86+ 2.01 >>>
              Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

And also, your CPU may not be stable as you think either, have you tried seeing if a bump or more MCH, Ram voltage or Vcore helps your S3 issue?

PCI express set to 100? Legacy USB Storage Detect disabled?

Comment

Hi fellas.....long time lurker, but decided to post for the 1st time:

I just replaced my Asus P5Q Pro with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, and installed vista ultimate x64, and so far so good, except for S3 Sleep mode!!!

here is my setup:
                e8400
                2 x WD 3200AAKS Sata2 drives
                1 x WD 2500KS Sata drive
                1 x Asus DVD-RW/CD-RW sata
                Radeon X1900XT 512mb
                4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 DDR2-800
                Thermaltake 750W gamers PSU

as with most of you, when I go into S3 mode, the front panel LED doesn't blink (which it should), and when I wake it up, the Board crashes (Fans are running at full speed instead of normal speed, no video, CPU dead, etc). Even the rest button doesn't work, so I have to do a hard reboot.

I had a small Overclock (400fsb x 9 = 3.6ghz), and manually set the RAM timings to 4-4-4-12 at 2.0v as the manufacturer suggested. I changed it all back to default Auto, and still same thing. I tried to manually set the voltages a couple of % values higher, and still same thing.

I haven't tried disabling the Load Line Calibration yet (as mentioned in this thread), but I will.

Do you guys have any recommendations of what else to try? I really am liking this board, and really want to keep it, but with my schedule + kids, I usually leave several apps open, and just put the PC into S3 sleep mode so that i can use resume my work quickly....it is a good feature for me, and would hate to return this board because it doesn't work.

any recommendations are appreciated!

Comment

Well, you will likely have to wait on a BIOS fix as usual. Are you sure your overclock is 100% stable. Do you have proper settings per 4x1GB of ram? Such as MCH voltage added, Ram voltage manually set (I see you got this covered), Trfc set to 52-65 or so?

What system are you using? Not sure if this works in XP, but you can check. If vista, what does this command show you (Windows Key + R, type in Cmd and then paste the following. Checks to see if S3 is enabled >>>
                  Code:
                  powercfg -a
                  Front panel LED should be OFF when in S3 mode, only S1 blinks
                  Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-17-2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Well, you will likely have to wait on a BIOS fix as usual. Are you sure your overclock is 100% stable. Do you have proper settings per 4x1GB of ram? Such as MCH voltage added, Ram voltage manually set (I see you got this covered), Trfc set to 52-65 or so?
                    yeah, i'm pretty sure it is not stable. It breaks Prime95 very quickly, yet memtest passes memory for several hours. After reading some other threads, including the sticky, I need to try a few things:
                    * increase MCH to at 1.25
                    * increase Vram to 2.1 perhaps or higher
                    I have not set Trfc...what do you recommend for my setup? these are the sticks I have:
                    Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap
                    What system are you using? Not sure if this works in XP, but you can check. If vista, what does this command show you (Windows Key + R, type in Cmd and then paste the following. Checks to see if S3 is enabled >>>
                    Code:
                    powercfg -a
                    I am using Vista Ultimate x64. I will also check that for you and let you know. I have only enabled hibernate, since sleep didn't work, but it is what it is. I will let you know what the powercfg says.

Comment

I have some Crucial on the way for testing next week so I will be for sure then of what is a acceptable low trfc, but for now I would advise 54-65 or so for 4x1

Please do Enable S3 in the BIOS before you check that command, just to be sure when it is enabled S3 is shown as available to you. And also when you do have S3 enabled, Run this command to check what devices are set to be allowed to wake the system >>>
                      Code:
                      powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Comment

Code:
                        powercfg -a
                        it says S3 is enabled

Comment

Code:
                          powercfg -a
                          it says S3 is enabled

I have some Crucial on the way for testing next week so I will be for sure then of what is a acceptable low trfc, but for now I would advise 54-65 or so for 4x1

Please do Enable S3 in the BIOS before you check that command, just to be sure when it is enabled S3 is shown as available to you. And also when you do have S3 enabled, Run this command to check what devices are set to be allowed to wake the system >>>
                          Code:
                          powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
                          it says:
                          HID-compliant mouse
                          High Defintion Audio Controller
                          Last edited by ssabripo; 10-17-2008, 05:58 PM.

Comment

btw, looks like S3 is now working (at least it has 3 times in a row)....I think the Trfc value, and the MCH core to 1.34v did the trick.

keeping fingers crossed!

Comment

Hi,

I found this thread after my newly build rig keeps getting BSOD almost every time it comes back from sleep.

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
                              Q6600
                              4x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
                              Vista Ultimate 64bit

The board I got shipped with F5. Should I flash the bios straight to F10 or go from F5 to F7 to F9 and then F10? I've never had to flash bios before and I'm following the instructions in this thread.

Just wanna make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Comment

Flash to the F10 BIOS - that's the one that fixes the S3 problem for your board. No need to flash the intervening versions. If you follow LSD's instructions carefully, you should have no problems.
                                Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
                                Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Comment

Working...
                                X