Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Originally posted by arctia View Post
    I've been in contact with them too. They asked me to install XP and see what happens. I can't right now because my hard drive only has 1 partition, and I don't want to buy another hard drive. Anyone with a second free hard drive wanna install XP and see if it works?
    I will do that now. Its 9:20 EST where I am, so I hope to post back in a little while. I have been using a spare HD to try to get my Vista X64 load just right, so will use that drive.

BTW - I have removed my Audigy2 card and am using the on-board sound now.

**Update @10:10PM EST
    No problems so far with my system with XP SP3. I have not gone to MS and gotten all the updates yet - but I will do that now.

**Update @10:35PM EST
    No problems at all with S3 sleep and XP SP3. My system is now fully patched and can sleep/wake/sleep/wake/shutdown/boot/sleep/wake/... you get the picture!
    Hmmm... Now if this would now work with Vista on this board.
    Last edited by imweasel; 09-18-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Yes, it is for sure Vista only, XP is fine with P35 and P45. And seems to only affect users who have 2x2GB of ram or more installed.

I just noticed a user posted here >>>

About P35, I had thought all P35's got the S3 BIOS fix, but after looking for his board It seems not all P35's did indeed get a fix when I noticed it rolled out several months ago for the P35-DS4. I guess that is what I get for assuming things. My assumption and lack of P35 Posts about the issue made me think every P35 had a similar BIOS fix, but I guess not.

Well, Hopefully the info I sent to Gigabyte can at least help some. And I hope they will come post here and or let me know via Email if things are for sure being looked into.

I'll keep you all updated when I hear something

Comment

@imweasel: which xp version are you using? The 32bit or the 64bit one? How much ram does windows Xp "see" from your 2x2gb?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoeller View Post
          @imweasel: which xp version are you using? The 32bit or the 64bit one? How much ram does windows Xp "see" from your 2x2gb?
          I am using XP Professional (32 bit). XP shows 3GB of RAM (I assume its rounding down the 3.25GB or whatever it really is due to 32 bits of addressing space).

Comment

Has anyone been able to solve this issue by swapping out their RAM? I'm using Kingston RAM which I'd say is on the cheap end of the RAM scale... Is it worth installing some higher quality RAM?

Comment

I'm having the same issue with 2x2gb kingston valueram (kvr800d2n5k2/4g).

I saw that 1 person had luck with running 8gb of ram instead of 4. Has anyone else tried that? $75 more is less of a pain than pulling the mobo, paying to ship it back, paying new egg's restocking fee, etc.

Comment

• Results of Vista x86(no SP1 & with SP1) and Windows XP x64

Just thought I would try a few other operating systems.

Vista x86 Home Premium with NO SP1 - returning from sleep just black screens, and when I press the reset button my system constantly starts to boot into the BIOS and then shutdowns down, then starts again - over and over. No video during this. If I do a cold boot it does come back up.

Vista x86 Home Premium with SP1 - sleep returns with video but locks up pretty quickly.

Windows XP x64 with SP2 - no problem with S3 sleep (in fact, that is what I currently have booted). This is the same result I posted above when trying Windows XP SP3 (x86).

I don't know if any of that helps, but I am hoping this thread is being watch by people from Gigabyte who may not have done this kind of testing.

ALL my tests have been with my system shown below, each time using a completely reformatted HD to prevent any "leftovers".

Comment

To all the new posters, this is a BIOS issue, and will be fixed with BIOS updates sooner or later. To those who have NOT updated to the latest BIOS, Please be sure to do so.

It may not be fixed as of yet with the latest BIOS, but it will be. So no need to return your boards.

@Kthlyn
                  It does not matter the brand, it will happen with all 2x2GB until A fix is issued

My Contact at Gigabyte has told me the BIOS engineers thought it was fixed with the latest BIOS. I have told him it is not yet fixed. He informed me that he will be reading this thread over this weekend and talk with the BIOS people next week and get back to me with what he finds out

And to Everyone testing things, No need to waste time installing XP.
                  This is a Known VISTA ONLY issue when using 2x2GB or more. XP is not affected

Comment

Launch new bios for Ep43? because I have a Gigabyte Ep43-DS3R and I have the same problem..........thanks

Comment

Exactly the same problem with the new G45 board. Any ideas if a bios update for this is also in the works?

Regards

Comment

Yes, they are aware and working on it

Comment

Thought I might mention these release notes:

Realtek 8169/8168/8101 PCI/PCIe NDIS6 driver (for Windows Vista)

Updated driver : Please visit Realtek

------------------------------------------------

Version 6.203.0214.2008

For 'Deep Slumber Mode' hardware design, it MUST update to this verison or later versions

For Vista SP1 DTM, it MUST update to this version or later versions

1. Support hardware 'Deep Slumber Mode' (8111C and 8102E)

2. Fix driver bug : 8101E and 8102E PHY parameters restored after reset

The bug ignores PHY powersaving mode.

3. Update power management routine to reduce a bit resume time (8111C and 8102E)

4. Add hardware IO error dection routine to prevent driver long waits for hardware operation completion.

Hardware IO error may be caused by BIOS, mother board layout ...

Driver automatically detects hardware invalid case and skips IO operation to prevent sleep/resume failure.

5. Update Auto installer to support 'Deep Slumber Mode'

Installer need to stop installation to prevent new driver not updated system registry.

It automatically detects NIC and cable.

If no card and no cable, it display message to ask users to connect a cable to NIC.

User could abort the install procedure by pressing 'No'.

Pressing 'Yes' to detect realtek device again.

6. Fix memory allocation leak bug

This bug causes Vista SP1 DTM failed

I made this update and tried sleeping a few minutes ago. So far the system hasn't crashed... I remain pessimistic but we'll see.
                          Last edited by Kythlyn; 09-20-2008, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Hope it works for you. This is the driver i downloaded from the GB website for my G45 board but I still have the S3 problem :(

Good luck.

Comment

Nope, still unstable. :(

Comment

For the record, adding 4 more gigs of RAM seems to fix the problem. I had 2x2gb of kingston value ram and I just put 2x2gb more in of nearly the same stuff (kingston branded chips instead of something else) and I've been able to sleep and resume several times now without error.

I don't remember if I set my MCH voltage back to auto, but if I haven't, it's only been increased by .1 V. $75 was worth it. Plus I now have 8 gigs of ram.

Comment

Working...
                                X