Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

1.64v DRAM Voltage is not stock, stock is 1.5, and 1.65v is as high as yu should go with stock VTT without damaging the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      1.64v DRAM Voltage is not stock, stock is 1.5, and 1.65v is as high as yu should go with stock VTT without damaging the CPU.
      According to the Corsair's spec's and the XMP profile, the memory voltage IS 1.65. TR3X6G1600C8D Date Sheet

You can also see Corsair's recommended settings here..... Gigabyte EX58-UD4P BIOS Settings For CORSAIR Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D & TR3X3G1600C8D - The Corsair Support Forumshttp://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/welc...tml#post355363. Sorry.

Again, not trying to be argumentative, just looking for an answer.

Thanks.
      Last edited by sygnus21; 05-10-2010, 11:02 AM.
      - My System Specs -
      GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
      Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
      Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
      6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
      ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
      Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
      Antec Signature SG-850 PS
      Cooler Master HAF X
      Win7 Ult x64

Comment

The fact XMP has 1.65 does not make it stock, ceirtenly user recommendation do not either.
        Just ask any of those setting their memory voltage to 1.64v if their LEDs are off.
        DDR3 standard is 1.5v +- 5%: 1.425-1.575v., and you are almost 10% above.

Comment

Can anyone else chime in here? Thanks
          - My System Specs -
          GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
          Cooler Master HAF X
          Win7 Ult x64

Comment

Standard DDR-3 @ 1066Mhz is 1.5v. I believe this is what the lights normal is. Usually memory with higher multipliers or frequencies need more voltage. You can still find most 1333Mhz memory @ 1.5v
            It's when you go to DDR-3 1600 and above you start getting voltages out of range to be normal voltage range.
            I noticed Gigabyte motherboards run memory voltage a little bit higher than the DDR-2 standards of 1.8 or DDR3 standards of 1.5v. Especially when dram voltage is set on Auto in bios. In some cases you can't turn it down in bios, only up. Sometimes you can get it set lower but you have to turn the frequency down to about 1333 or even 1066mhz. Sometimes you can set it to manual and not adjust the voltage up. (Just turn the dram voltage from auto to manual) and this will give you a lower dram voltage than the auto setting. When bios is saved and exited. On the latest multicore processors intel and AMD. The memory controller is in the cpu, and they recommend DDR3-800/1066Mhz which would be @ 1.5v. (Proof Below)
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
            Logitech G500 USB mouse
            Monitor: CMV937A
            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Thanks guys,

Though I get what you're saying, I honestly can't say I completely agree with the way the LED lights work in this regard. I have to believe that Gigabyte is well aware that there are memory modules that require higher voltages (higher than 1.5, but less than 1.65) to run performance modules. The fact that Intel? calls for voltages no greater than 1.65 says that the LED's shouldn't trigger before that threshold is reached. That's the issue that I have a hard time coming to grips with. It just seems...premature.

Also I didn't realize the "standard" for DDR3 is 1066 @ 1.5 volts and that anything over that is considered overclocked. I'm still stuck on the fact that Corsair's own data sheet calls for 1600 @ 1.65 volts with that particular memory. However I can understand 1066MHz being a "standard" for DDR3 as a "minimum"

My two cents.

Chike, my apologies, and I meant no offense. I’m always trying to analyze, and if it doesn’t make sense, I question. Sorry.

Thanks.
              - My System Specs -
              GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
              Cooler Master HAF X
              Win7 Ult x64

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                The fact XMP has 1.65 does not make it stock, ceirtenly user recommendation do not either.
                Just ask any of those setting their memory voltage to 1.64v if their LEDs are off.
                DDR3 standard is 1.5v +- 5%: 1.425-1.575v., and you are almost 10% above.
                Yes,you are right.
                Btw,
                In addition, JEDEC states that memory modules must withstand up to 1.975 volts before incurring permanent damage, although they are not required to function correctly at that level.

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
                Standard DDR-3 @ 1066Mhz is 1.5v. I believe this is what the lights normal is. Usually memory with higher multipliers or frequencies need more voltage. You can still find most 1333Mhz memory @ 1.5v
                It's when you go to DDR-3 1600 and above you start getting voltages out of range to be normal voltage range.
                I noticed Gigabyte motherboards run memory voltage a little bit higher than the DDR-2 standards of 1.8 or DDR3 standards of 1.5v. Especially when dram voltage is set on Auto in bios. In some cases you can't turn it down in bios, only up. Sometimes you can get it set lower but you have to turn the frequency down to about 1333 or even 1066mhz. Sometimes you can set it to manual and not adjust the voltage up. (Just turn the dram voltage from auto to manual) and this will give you a lower dram voltage than the auto setting. When bios is saved and exited. On the latest multicore processors intel and AMD. The memory controller is in the cpu, and they recommend DDR3-800/1066Mhz which would be @ 1.5v. (Proof Below)
                According to JEDEC (Joint Electron Devices Engineering Council) Standard, DDR3 modules can transfer data at a rate of 800-1066-1333–1600 at 1.5V +/- 0.075V:
                Most common CAS latency are:9 (1333MHz) / 7 (1066MHz)

Last edited by stasio; 05-11-2010, 01:48 AM.

Comment

1.5 the LED's will not be on, this is stock (Stock DDR3 voltage JEDEC)
                  1.64-1.66 the LED will be on, this is not stock DDR3 voltage (But may be stock spec voltage for your memory itself)

Setting 1.64 in the BIOS will give you about 1.63 actual, this is why we always suggest 1.66

You can also use much more than 1.65V for your memory if you want to, you just need to keep QPI/Vtt within 0.5V of Dram voltage

Comment

Thanks. Got it.

BTW I have another odd issue...maybe. CPU-Z reports my processor as running full load (160x22 = 3.5GHz) , whereas Real Temp shows it at 160 x 17/18 = 2.7 or 2.8gig. The reason I say odd is because CPU-Z used to show the processor in idle mode, now it just shows full load all the time, even though there is no activity! I've uninstalled and reinstalled it but no change. I have CIE and EIST enable and turbo mode off, but CPU-Z still reports full load. Help?
                    - My System Specs -
                    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
                    Cooler Master HAF X
                    Win7 Ult x64

Comment

With EIST and C1E disabled that is how it is supposed to be in CPU-z

Comment

OK, but I have both C1E and EIST "enabled" In fact it's been driving me crazy so I've been fooling with the whole enable this and that thing to get it working properly.

Here's the latest settings thus far....

Turbo Boost - Enabled
                        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Enabled
                        C3/C6/C7 State Support - Disabled (had it enabled, made no difference)
                        CPU EIST Function - Enabled

So far CPU-Z still shows full load.

I have the CPU multi at 21, even though CPU-Z and the boot screen says 22. I guess it'll say that because of Turbo being on?

Thanks.
                        Attached Files
                        - My System Specs -
                        GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
                        Cooler Master HAF X
                        Win7 Ult x64

Comment

Go to control panel, power options, and choose balanced power plan.

Yes turbo enables 22, if you want to use 21 only (Advised) disable turbo and set 21

Comment

Hmmmm.....I already had "Balanced" for a power plan but did some tweaks; don't recall messing with the "Processor" settings though. As It turned out, that's what the problem was; minimum and maximum was set to 100%. A reset fixed the issue. Now minimum is set to 5% usage and maximum is set to 100%.

Thanks!

Also, can you tell me why I shouldn't use "Turbo"? (which pushes my multi to 22x).

Again, thanks.
                            - My System Specs -
                            GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
                            Cooler Master HAF X
                            Win7 Ult x64

Comment

Min?Max you probably set to 100% because I think you asked before why it was dropping in speed :) so we helped you get speedstep disabled and your CPU at 100%

22 Multi is unstable, and requires more voltage to get stable, nothing to do with the speed at all, just i7's do not like Even CPU Multi's is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                                Min?Max you probably set to 100% because I think you asked before why it was dropping in speed :) so we helped you get speedstep disabled and your CPU at 100%.
                                I don't think that was me :)

At any rate it was the "Processor Power Management" setting that was screwed up - Minimum was set to 100%, causing the processor to run wide open, it's now set to 5%

All good now and CPU-Z is reporting accordingly.

Thanks. That was driving me crazy.

As to turbo mode, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for your help. I'm out. nite nite
                                Attached Files
                                - My System Specs -
                                GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
                                Cooler Master HAF X
                                Win7 Ult x64