No announcement yet.

NV40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia's NV40 should be an entirely new core, and may be up to twice as fast as the NV35.

Representatives from nVidia were on hand for AMD's "Tech Tour 2003," and I had the opportunity to discuss nVidia's plans with them. The nVidia rep on hand claimed that nVidia was still on a 6 month development cycle, and that the delays encountered with the NV30 were only an anomaly. He conceded that the GeForce FX 5800 was a failure, and that nVidia had "temporarily" ceded the performance crown to ATI. The rep further claimed that the NV40 core would be out by the end of this year, and that it would be an entirely new core. He was confident that the new part would be up to twice as fast as the NV35. The NV35 should become available within the next 6 weeks, and the rep claimed that the NV35 "spanked" ATI's Radeon Pro 9800 in most benchmarks (although these claims are dubious given nVidia's recent benchmark scandals). He claimed that nVidia's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" campaign had two ramifications. First, all participating game developers used only nVidia Quadro cards when designing games, and second, many games would have certain features that only nVidia users would be able to take advantage of. The rep showed a demo system running the "Dawn in black leather" demo on an NV35, and claimed that Nforce3 cards for the Opteron would be available in July. He thought that an Opteron/Nforce3/GeForce FX 5900 computer would be an ideal combination for gaming.

"Dawn in black leather" = Dusk

Comment

ATM I'd rather faster HDD's and other subsystem hardware buses. These are the bigest bottlenecks in the PC and need the most work done to improve but basically HDD's are in need of the biggest overhaul most of all and likely need a whole new technology as the current technology seems to be gettin' close to the ceiling. : peace2:

Comment

okay this is really bugginh me so i have to ask it. what the hell does "ATM" mean??:confused: :confused: :confused:
        <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

At The Moment :thumb:

Comment

I definitely agree with Wiggo ! SATA & PCI Express show signs of hope, but they still lack the same raw speed and power that other components (ie: CPU's & video cards) have. And there are a lot of other areas that still need help, and lots of it ! :2cents:

Of coarse, faster video cards are still pretty fun....:p
            SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Roadmap

NV36 AGP
              NV36X PCI-Express
              NV40 AGP and PCI Express
              NV45 PCI Express only

Comment

Originally posted by weta
                Roadmap

NV36 AGP
                NV36X PCI-Express
                NV40 AGP and PCI Express
                NV45 PCI Express only
                Now, would it be safe to assume that the NV36X will be a low end card when the NV40 or NV45 are released ?
                Kind of like the GF4 ti4800 vs. the GF FX series...
                SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Seems nice :P I can't wait until like 4 years to see what card there is. Like what GHZ will we be up to. Will we hit 10GHZ?

Comment

Nvidia noted that where the cycle time (the time from a design spin to silicon) was less than 10 weeks for 150nm processes, the cycle time for 130nm is presently at, or above, 14 weeks - this would mean that a part that requires two respins would be in the order of 6 months from initial tape-out. They also said that a product intended for release later in the year has taped out at IBM and they are expecting to receive the first qualification sample in the next few weeks.

Update: This has turned out to be the NV36 and not the NV40.

Comment

These are Nvidia's core/memory targets for its next generation NV40 graphics chipset.

550MHz-600MHz Core
                      700MHz-800MHz Memory

Comment

Originally posted by E^vol
                        Now, would it be safe to assume that the NV36X will be a low end card when the NV40 or NV45 are released ?
                        Kind of like the GF4 ti4800 vs. the GF FX series...
                        I would say that the FX is the lower line compared to the TI4800 :D :D
                        <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

I would say that the FX is the lower line compared to the TI4800
                          i would have to agree, considering the crown jewls of the FX line (5800ultra) was a dud, the FX5900&ultra owns over ati on all the benchmarks i seen(not by alot its still close), hehe but 5900 was a act of desperation on nvidia's part...was pushed way ahead of schedual.

Comment

Originally posted by weta
                            Roadmap

NV36 AGP
                            NV36X PCI-Express
                            NV40 AGP and PCI Express
                            NV45 PCI Express only
                            Looks like the NV40 will be the ticket for me.

:hammer:

Comment

In order of decreasing reliability

Supports FP32, FP16 and FX16 natively. Whether there is any performance difference between FP16 and FX16 is unknown, and whether there are any truly non-FP32 units is also unknown.
                              175M transistors, 600Mhz core clock, 1.5Ghz effective GDDR2 (Samples already shipped to nV - 16 memory chips per board)
                              Not taped-out yet, or if it did, tape-out failed. To tape-out sometime this month.
                              8 pipelines, Speculation: probably 8x2 and no 16 zixel trick (not worth it with 4x+ AA, which is really a minimum with 48GB/s of bandwidth) - Maybe such a bypass path for low-end models (NV42/NV43)

This means Christmas avaibility has IMO become absolutely out of the question. Best we can hope is for-developer documents for Comdex, or around then. And that's not a certainty.

NFI

Comment

What are FP32, FP16, FX16 and FX32?

Comment

Working...
                                X