NV40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weta
    [B]These are only rumours, and differ considerably from the figures posted a few months back.

0.13u process
    150m transistors
    120w power consumption (NV30) 75w
    Could be available as early as Christmas

Reportedly, Nvidia were actively researching SOI and even Germanium oxide to reduce power requirements, finally
    choosing to concentrate on more powerful cooling solutions, rather than invest heavily in advanced process technologies.
    Invest in powerful cooling my a@@. In desperation turned to powerful cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBalrog
      Invest in powerful cooling my a@@. In desperation turned to powerful cooling.
      LMAO !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
      SPAM Special Ops

Comment

...and I think Nvidia will take the crown formerly bestowed to Cyrix, for hottest running processor. ;) *golf clap*

Comment

Hope Nvidia dunt stuff up again, we need competition to keep prices down. But all nv40 **** is just speculation, DirectX 10 won't be released for at least another 2 years, as microsoft have no plans to make any more extensions to the DirectX until after Longhorn. Nvidia better not take 2 years to get nv40 out or they be out like 3DFX.

:smokin:

Comment

Nvidia have trully ****ed us about. I still havent been able to even look at an NV30. The NV 35 is still just a bunch of rumours and there already telling us they have NV40 near christmas.WTF why they don't just make one descent chipset rather then ****ing us about i don't know:mad: :mad: :mad:

Comment

Temper, temper...:group:
              I will be getting an ATI9800PRO 256mb ! And then I'll wait for nVidia to get their act together...after that...we'll see...If they can and do produce a quality card in the near future, then I might go to nVidia for my next video card (after this upcoming card).
              SPAM Special Ops

Comment

It's kind of a shame really... I was so looking forward to the FX Ultra being my next super-cool-a$$ video card. And with all the crap that Nvidia has been pulling with this release, it's like 3DFX all over again, a little. I really hope they do pull their heads out of their poopshoots, but in the mean time, I will sit back and watch with a kick butt ATI card in my rig. They have enough money, but they need to start thinking "outside of the box" again to pull ahead of ATI at this point, IMHO. This will only be good for the consumer, though. We're going to see killer toys come out as a result of this struggle for best high-end graphics card race. :)

Comment

The NV40 will use second generation GDDR2 memory.
                  As the NV40 will be available from Jan 2004, I can't see Nvidia using PCI Express on this release.

Comment

Originally posted by weta
                    The NV40 will use second generation GDDR2 memory.
                    As the NV40 will be available from Jan 2004, I can't see Nvidia using PCI Express on this release.
                    Really ? Why not ? Isn't PCI-Express supposed to be released this coming fall on the new mobos ? People who buy the new mobos will need a video card for sure...:confused:
                    SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Mainly because of ATI's recent decision to delay the release of their R400/500 chipset, which I believe was partly due
                      to this new technology.
                      If motherboards are selling with a PCI-Express bus when the NV40 is launched, then I'm confident Nvidia will support it.

Here's a picture to outline the physical differences between the two interfaces.

Comment

so wot will this new technology bring us??:confused:

Comment

Key features

Compatible with current PCI enumeration and software device driver model
                          Layered architecture enabling physical layer attachment to copper, optical, or emerging physical signaling media to allow for future encoding schemes
                          Maximum bandwidth per pin for enabling unique and small form factors, reducing cost, simplifying board design and routing, and reducing signal integrity issues
                          Embedded clocking scheme enables superior frequency scalability versus source synchronous clocking
                          Bandwidth scalability with frequency and/or interconnect width
                          Predictable low latency suitable for applications requiring isochronous data delivery
                          Quality of Service (QoS) attributes
                          Mechanisms to support embedded and communications applications
                          Hot Plug and Hot Swap capability
                          Power Management capabilities

Benefit of serial technology over parallel architecture

Serial technology does away with the limitations of parallel bus architectures by delivering high bandwidth in the fewest number of signals. This allows higher frequency scaling while maintaining cost effectiveness.

Comment

Veeeery NICE...!!! :thumb: :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

isnt that "pci express" just a backwards pci slot? the short tab being toward the case edge instead being toward the case inside?( if u can understand that talk with my shrink ) anyway...is this pci express different from that "blue magic" pci stuff i saw/herd about? ok well back to the NV40... whens this 2004..but its dx10 compatible? DX 10 isnt officaly releaed by MS till 2005ish (longhorn release) so then its nv45 thats gona be dx10 compatible or nv 40 is commin out with LH RTM ...:spam: curiouse to c what y'all think :spam:

Comment

DX10 ?? We barely have software that'll use DX9....
                                SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Working...
                                X