Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Originally posted by stewroids View Post
    Alright guys I just installed my H50 with two CM R4 fans exhausting. I'm using 2 screws to hold each fan into the radiator, and I'm going to pick another 4 screws to mount everything together.

Also replaced the bottom fan with the stock corsair h50 fan on the bottom to blow up.

CORSAIR H50:
    Temperatures idling are: CPU: 37C, 37 37 35 35 (didn't touch the thermal paste)
    Temperatures with Prime95: CPU 52C, 64 64 65 65

CM V8:
    Temperatures idling are: CPU: 37, 37 37 35 35 (stock paste)
    Temperatures with Prime95: CPU 50c, 60 60 57 57

Looks like the V8 was doing better in my case than the H50. Does the stock thermal paste have a curing time?
    glad to hear that you successfully installed the H50.
    In my case I cleaned the original compound provided with the H50 using alcohol, and applied a very thin layer of Artic Silver 5 using a plastic bag to protect my fingers.
    The curing process took more than a week, and that showed as a slight general temperature reduction and a closer match in temperatures among all four cores.

good job Stew!

Jure Z.
    i7 920 (D0) @ 4.05 GHz (193*21) | GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | BIOS Rev FI
    6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
    Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
    Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Originally posted by JureZ View Post
      glad to hear that you successfully installed the H50.
      In my case I cleaned the original compound provided with the H50 using alcohol, and applied a very thin layer of Artic Silver 5 using a plastic bag to protect my fingers.
      The curing process took more than a week, and that showed as a slight general temperature reduction and a closer match in temperatures among all four cores.

good job Stew!

Jure Z.
      Did you clean the thermal paste on the CPU as well as the H50 with alcohol?

I had some trouble mounting the H50. Do I need to unscrew it a little, unmount it, reapply thermal paste, mount it (stick it in, and turn clockwise) and screw the screws in again? I heard of difference styles of applying thermal paste, what would be the most effective for the H50?

Comment

i use a thin piece of card and spread it accross,or an old petrol reward card (credit card) shaped
        Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
        Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
        Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
        Dual Boot
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
        Ati x1950 pro gpu
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        1050w psu
        Nzxt lexa case
        http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Re: Ex58-extreme &amp; i7 920

Did you clean the thermal paste on the CPU as well as the H50 with alcohol?

I had some trouble mounting the H50. Do I need to unscrew it a little, unmount it, reapply thermal paste, mount it (stick it in, and turn clockwise) and screw the screws in again? I heard of difference styles of applying thermal paste, what would be the most effective for the H50?
          The processor, in my case , was brand new, (out of the box for the first time), so I didn't have to remove any compound, just clean the surface to a fresh wet shine.

these are the instructions given by the Artic Silver Manufacturer:

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Home

I was very careful to make sure that the four screws of the mounting system applied the same force to each corner. Also with a caliper checked their elevation above the printed circuit board.

I think that maybe I could do it better if I had to do it again, but for the time being it is just good enough. As far as the final turn of the pump-block assembly, I think that it is not required, if the screws are just started and enough "play" is left for the insertion manouver.

Thanks, Jure Z,
          6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
          Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
          Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Alright I'll probably just re-position it because my Corsair logo is on side ways (tubes are on the right side). And I think my friend didn't fully mount it on because I watched a couple of YouTube videos and I don't think we did that haha!

I'll leave the stock thermal paste on - would it be a problem if I unmount it, and mount it back on? Or do I have to wipe off the thermal paste and re-apply everytime I remount it.

Comment

No, you will need to clean your CPU and the H50 if you remove it, then put on new paste

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                No, you will need to clean your CPU and the H50 if you remove it, then put on new paste
                Alright. If that's the case I'll just leave it how it is right now and see how it is in a week. I have to re-mount it anyways because my logo is sideways =[ Does it matter whether I apply it in a straight line, or in a size of a pea? Would it be best to put it on the bottom of the H50, and then mount it?

Comment

Alright. If that's the case I'll just leave it how it is right now and see how it is in a week. I have to re-mount it anyways because my logo is sideways =[ Does it matter whether I apply it in a straight line, or in a size of a pea? Would it be best to put it on the bottom of the H50, and then mount it?
                  the orientation of the Corsair logo does not matter at all, any position is OK in that respect. What I tried to accomplish is to rotate the pump/block assembly so that the tubes followed the simplest curves, minimizing the bend stress.

the instructions for the paste recommend tinting both parts, finally putting the paste on the cpu, and then applying the heat sink to the cpu. The H50 comes from the factory with the paste pre-applied, so that would be another situation.

Which would be best strategy? Couldn't really tell. Just apply it sparingly, too much paste is not good...

best wishes from Jure Z.
                  Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Alright so I remounted the H50 with AS5 and my temperatures were: CPU 38, 36 36 34 34 (in the morning).

My room gets pretty hot during the afternoon and evening, and now my temperatures are: CPU: 43, 38 38 35 35. Should I let the AS5 settle in a bit?

Comment

Yes, if you used AS5 again it will have to settle. This can take 2 weeks to a month or more, depending on how many times you start/stop your system.

Yet another reason to switch to TX-2 or MX-2, no waiting for cure time!

Comment

Working...
                      X