Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Kind of a newbie question, but how do I check if I'm using RAID?

Comment

Re: Ex58-extreme & i7 920

in bios under perepherals at top and about 4rth from bottom,set it to raid, it will say ide/ahci/ahci-raid
      Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
      Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
      Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
      Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
      Dual Boot
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
      Ati x1950 pro gpu
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      1050w psu
      Nzxt lexa case
      http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Re: Ex58-extreme &amp; i7 920

Thanks!

I also read the QFlash PDF file and some of the steps were different from Lsdmeasap. After successfully installing the BIOS, it tells me to "Load Fail-Safe Defaults". Lsdmeasap's guide states that I should "Load Optimized Defaults", and then "Save and Apply". Are these two settings the same, just re-worded in different BIOS types?

Also, is the "Keep DMI Data" an option in QFlash, or the standard BIOS itself? Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to mess up my precious motherboard :(

**Edit - I just checked my BIOS and I'm using IDE instead of RAID. Should I enable RAID or leave it as IDE?**
        Last edited by stewroids; 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I successfully flashed my BIOS to F10, F9, and F7. And you're right - there is a CPU temperature difference in the F7 bios. In the F10 I had an idling temperature of 40C (with my cores around 37C). On the F7 I had my CPU idling at 35C (with my cores at 42C). I'm very confused and frustrated right now, and I guess my normal temperatures for CPU are 42-45C (idle). I have no idea why my cores are so high right now with F7 (43C Idle). I am thinking of flashing back to F10 and leaving it there.

Comment

Nice to see your flash testing went smoothly!

IDE, leave that or you will need to install your OS again or do some driver juggling. As mentioned above, I thought there was issues with the temps in various BIOS, so the older one your were originally using and the F7 as well if it differs from orig is the problem.

Those older BIOS lead you into falsely believing you had lower temps than you actually do. The new BIOS/Temps would be correct and you either need to reset your heatink with less paste or a better mount, or you need more airflow in your case.

The main thing you need to believe is the newest BIOS is correct temps, and no matter which BIOS you use, new or old, the temps will be the same no matter what you are seeing indicated. So your best bet would be a remount and to use the latest BIOS.

Comment

Yep! So my current temperatures (stock) are CPU: 39, and cores are 38 38 35 35. I also replaced the stock rear exhaust fan, and I also added a 120mm on the bottom of the case (beside the PSU). Air flow is definitely better, but I had a hard time installing the fans in both the rear exhaust and bottom. The reason being is the holes in the fan weren't threaded, so the screw couldnt' actually screw in. I muscled it out, and the rear exhaust sounds fine, but I'm getting a lot of vibration (even vibrates my whole table) and I believe the bottom isn't on properly. Should I just unscrew it, and remount it?

By the way, I'm planning to switch from the V8 to H50, and using a Coolermaster (RED LED) 120mm fan on the rear as an intake, as well as the OEM 120mm h50 120mm. Hopefully that will bring my temperatures down, and I can start overclocking! Thanks again :)

Comment

Ya, some fans are like that, I hate em!

Is your CPU Fan blowing out the exhaust towards the rear fan? Bottom of what is not on properly? If you mean your rear case fan, just tighten the screws up more, if you mean your CPU heatsink then definitely remove it and clean the paste, then redo the paste and remount it.

i7 is hot, those temps sound a bit better than you mentioned before so they may be normal for that cooler

Comment

Sounds good!

It's actually the 120mm fan I mounted on the bottom of the case. Again, the fan's mounting holes didn't have any thread so I had to muscle it in. That fan alone brought my cpu down by 3C! I'll fill you in when it's done, thanks a lot for everything!

Comment

take that fan out of the case and screw the srews into it whilst its out,youll need to tap a thread using the screws into the fan,then mount it in your case and screw it in it will be alot easier
                    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                    Dual Boot
                    Ati x1950 pro gpu
                    1050w psu
                    Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Ohh the bottom of your case eh, maybe you should get you some of these, I use them and they are nice and easy to use.
                      Moddersmart - I Mod Smart Do You? - 888-333-4942 - Air Cooling :: Cooling Fans :: Fan Accessories :: Silencing/Anti-vibration :: Coolink Anti-Vibration Bolts

This may also help, but I never have used them so couldn't say how much they help or if they are needed
                      120mm Anti-Vibration Fan Gasket - UV Blue

Comment

Well I completely mounted it on to a point where the frigging paint chipped off haha. I think the RPM is a little too high for a bottom fan, so when I purchase the H50 I'll use the fan that comes with it on the bottom. What do you think of using 2x Coolermaster 120mm fans (2000rpm, 90cfm) as a push/pull effect for the H50?

Comment

I am very happy with my Corsair H50, I use it in exhaust mode, push pull, and serves me well.

I reach 72C on the worst case full load at 21*189 MHz, Vcore =1.268V

for more on the H50 see:

Official Corsair H50 Hydro Series Owners Club - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

*Updated*The Official Megahalem vs H50 Battle Royale Results - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

As Inexpensive as It Can Get: Corsair H50 Liquid-Cooling System Review - X-bit labs

Corsair Hydro Series H50 FAQ - The Corsair Support Forums

Corsair's H50 all-in-one CPU water cooler - The Tech Report - Page 1

HEXUS.net - Review :: Corsair Hydro Series H50 - taking on the air-cooled establishment : Page - 1/9

good luck, Jure Z.
                          i7 920 (D0) @ 4.05 GHz (193*21) | GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | BIOS Rev FI
                          6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
                          Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
                          Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

2000 RPM fans is fairly loud usually, that's up to you. Maybe 1600-1800 would be good for your case bottom, that's what I use RPM-wise for case fans

If you have room, maybe some slower 38MM x120 fans with high CFM would be better than 25MM fans with high CFM/RPM

Comment

Hmm. I am thinking of using the OEM 120mm fan from the H50 to mount on the bottom. I checked the website and it states the fan runs at 1,700RPM (couldn't find the CFM). Can anybody confirm this? If I'm replacing the rear exhaust as an intake, I need to try to push all the air UP into my top which is a 230mm exhaust. Hopefully the H50 fan will be strong enough, and have no vibration :D

Would this be a good idea, or would hot air be circulating in my case? If that's the case, I may have to set the H50 as an exhaust oppose to intake.
                              Last edited by stewroids; 03-20-2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

these supposed to be 90cfm fans but only 1400rpm http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SilenX-iXtrema...item5ad7f6c6bc , the akasa apache s fans are good too 74cfm and 1400rpm
                                Dual Boot
                                Ati x1950 pro gpu
                                1050w psu
                                Nzxt lexa case

Comment

Working...
                                X