Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Originally posted by stewroids View Post
    Hmm. I am thinking of using the OEM 120mm fan from the H50 to mount on the bottom. I checked the website and it states the fan runs at 1,700RPM (couldn't find the CFM). Can anybody confirm this? If I'm replacing the rear exhaust as an intake, I need to try to push all the air UP into my top which is a 230mm exhaust. Hopefully the H50 fan will be strong enough, and have no vibration :D

Would this be a good idea, or would hot air be circulating in my case? If that's the case, I may have to set the H50 as an exhaust oppose to intake.

I suggest to set the H50 air flow to exhaust (the two cooler-master fans in your drawing).
    That way nothing else gets heated by the CPU heat out of the radiator.

The original H50 fan and its companion run at 1450 RPM in my machine, just fine.

Jure Z.
    i7 920 (D0) @ 4.05 GHz (193*21) | GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | BIOS Rev FI
    6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
    Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
    Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

I would also do the H50 exhaust on the bottom, or mount it internally/externally on the rear of your case as exhaust

Comment

Sounds good!

I rather have the same amount of intake/exhausting air oppose to a lot of intake, and little exhaust. If I were to make the H50 intake air, I'd be only left with one exhaust (230mm top) and I'm sure hot air will just get blown around my case. Also, the heat from the PSU/Video card is vented through the back, and could rise up to the rear exhaust. Are there any disadvantages of having the h50 exhaust oppose to intake?

Comment

Your case will get much dirtier that way, you know that right?

I just thought it would even things out a bit more is all. No advantage either way, it would be advantageous to use push/pull on the H50 though if you did not already plan to do that

Comment

Sounds good!

I rather have the same amount of intake/exhausting air oppose to a lot of intake, and little exhaust. If I were to make the H50 intake air, I'd be only left with one exhaust (230mm top) and I'm sure hot air will just get blown around my case. Also, the heat from the PSU/Video card is vented through the back, and could rise up to the rear exhaust. Are there any disadvantages of having the h50 exhaust oppose to intake?
            think of it this way:

Hypothesis 1) the radiator releases about 130 W of heat.

Case a) Exhaust case
            The radiator assembly is on the wall of the case, 130 W of heat are driven out of the case by the Push-Pull fan sandwich. The air inside the computer volume is still heated by the PSU, Motherboard, VIdeo card(s), Memory, HDDs, etc. This air, a few degrees C warmer than ambient, tries to cool the radiator.

Case b) Intake case
            Air at ambient temperature cools the radiator, cooling the water to a lower final temperature than a).
            Inside the computer case all the CPU power heat is released, plus all the other power dissipated : PSU, Motherboard , etc.
            In this case, all the components inside the case are cooled by the air heated by the CPU heat. Depending on the airflow, the memory for example, will be running at higher temperatures than in case a).

Case c) Radical case
            As some have done, place the (Push - Pull) fan-radiator-fan assembly completely out of the case.
            The radiator is cooled by air at ambient temperature, the CPU heat delivered by the radiator is left outside. Even the waste heat produced by the operation of the 2 PP fans is dissipated outside of the case.

You are right that you want to have a balanced system in terms of the CFM In and Out, as provided by the case fans.
            Also, do not fight natural convection, hot air wants to go up.
            Consider the computer case as a wind tunnel, not a labyrinth, minimizing the impedance to the airflow.

Thanks, Jure Z.
            6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
            Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
            Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Thanks for the information guys!

I'll do the push/pull and set it to an exhaust. I don't want warm air flowing around my case and increasing my temperatures of my other components. So would the setup look something like <---(120mm Fan)--(Radiator)--(120mm Fan)---?

Comment

Re: Ex58-extreme &amp; i7 920

--->Push Fan ----> RAD ---> Pull Fan --->

Comment

Thanks for the information guys!

I'll do the push/pull and set it to an exhaust. I don't want warm air flowing around my case and increasing my temperatures of my other components. So would the setup look something like <---(120mm Fan)--(Radiator)--(120mm Fan)---?
                  here it is, worth a thousand words (the arrow indicates air flow direction):
                  the fan on the side wall pushes air into the case, BTW.
                  Note also that I used the four provided screws for the fan, two for the push fan and two for the pull fan, <grin>

Thanks, Jure Z.
                  Attached Files
                  Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

what are your temps like jurez? idle and load?
                    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                    Dual Boot
                    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                    Ati x1950 pro gpu
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    1050w psu
                    Nzxt lexa case
                    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

I don't have the privileges to view the picture :(

Comment

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
                        what are your temps like jurez? idle and load?
                        Warren,

the temps are high 30s idling, low 70s at full load.

Stew , how could I make the picture of the open case available to you ?

Thanks, Jure Z.
                        Attached Files
                        Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Use a image tag, like this

[img] url to image here [/img]

Upload your image to a imagehost like tinypic.com or imageshack.us, ect and then put the url in a image tag like shown above

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                            Use a image tag, like this

[img] url to image here [/img]

Upload your image to a imagehost like tinypic.com or imageshack.us, ect and then put the url in a image tag like shown above
                            Yep, what he said :D

Anyways I'm still researching on whether to have the H50 as an exhaust or intake. I guess the only real practical way is to try them both, and check temperatures for everything in the case. Here are my options, tell me what you think!

Option 1 (Intake):
                            Intake: Front 230mm, Side 230mm, Bottom 120mm, Front (drive bay) 140mm, Rear (2x Coolermaster R4) 120mm
                            Exhaust: Top 230mm

Option 2 (Exhaust):
                            Intake: Front 230mm, Side 230mm, Bottom 120mm, Front (drive bay) 140mm
                            Exhaust: Rear (2x Coolermaster R4) 120mm, Top 230mm

Comment

Yeap, I'd do just that, test both ways and see which works better for you. Be sure you test idle and load

I like #2, #1 will make your case very dusty inside if that matters to you. Not sure which would actually be better temp-wise though, you'd have to test it

Comment

Yep, what he said :D

Anyways I'm still researching on whether to have the H50 as an exhaust or intake. I guess the only real practical way is to try them both, and check temperatures for everything in the case. Here are my options, tell me what you think!
                                Option 1 (Intake):
                                Intake: Front 230mm, Side 230mm, Bottom 120mm, Front (drive bay) 140mm, Rear (2x Coolermaster R4) 120mm
                                Exhaust: Top 230mm

Option 2 (Exhaust):
                                Intake: Front 230mm, Side 230mm, Bottom 120mm, Front (drive bay) 140mm
                                Exhaust: Rear (2x Coolermaster R4) 120mm, Top 230mm

It seems that we all ( Lsdmeasap, stewroids ) prefer the exhaust mode , great !

let's try including the picture like this:

Thanks, Jure Z.
                                Attached Files
                                Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Working...
                                X