Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex58-extreme & i7 920

Hey all! I'm new to the forums and quite new to overclocking.

Anyways, I purchased my computer rig last week and I decided to overclock this bad boy. I'm using a i7-920 with a Gigabyte EX58-Extreme with the Coolermaster V8. I ran into a little problem and hopefully it can be solved.

I tried to overclock right off the bat, but it kept failing so I decided to flash my BIOS with the latest drivers from Gigabyte's website. Before I flashed it, I opened up SpeedFan and my CPU read 33C (idle). I flashed the BIOS, and immediately checked my CPU temperature in BIOS, it was idling at 45C!!!

So I booted it up to Windows and checked my temperatures just to make sure, and it was still 45C. I still decided to overclock and I successfully overclocked it to 3.3GHz (stable) and tested it with Prime95 for an hour. My temperatures were: CPU: 59, and cores were hitting around 70C.

Even at stock, the temperatures still read CPU: 59, and cores hitting around 70C. So I know for a fact the overclocking to 3.3GHz isn't causing this temperature increase. Could it be that the latest BIOS version enabled a specific option that is raising my temperature?

*All my temperatures stayed the same (motherboard, hard drive, video card) but the North Bridge*

Re: Ex58-extreme & i7 920

What settings are you using, Auto if overclocked will use much higher voltages so your temps will rise.

I do also advise you use RealTemp or CoreTemp, or everest as speedfan is often wrong or misleading so you may have (Before or now) been looking at the wrong voltage or speedfan is not reading them correctly.

Some BIOS are buggy though, which one in particular did you flash to?

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I am using the F12 BIOS I found off the Gigabyte website (GA-EX58-EXTREME (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS).

As for the settings - my core voltage was 1.21 and I didn't touch anything else other than that. Are there any particular settings that might've changed during the flash that could raise the temperature (Speedstep, CxE, etc)

Comment

Well is that 1.21 what you manually set, or just what you see in the BIOS on the left? Flashing would not in general raise any settings or temps, but sometimes can a degree or three, more likely what happened was before or now whatever software you are using picked something up wrong or right this time hard to say which.

Core temps are all you really need to worry about though. You could always flash back to the older BIOS, or a different older one, and see if temps are the same as now or before. If you do and all older BIOS show lower temps there could just be a bug with this new BIOS.

And yes, if you disabled Speedstep (EIST + C1E) this time, but not before, that would likely make you see temp differences similar to this. This would be especially true if before you had them enabled and now you do not

Comment

When I first went into BIOS, it was already 1.21. I didn't toy with any other setting other than the CPU multiplier (21) and the BCLK (1600). Both C1E and EIST are enabled and my temperatures (according to RealTemp) are now 45, 45, 43, 43. Could you recommend a version I can flash my BIOS to that is stable?

Comment

Well what I mean is, on the left is a default VID and on the right beside that is what you manually set, or leave on Auto.

If left on Auto it could be much more than that, depending on your other settings and your CPU itself.

With C1E and EIST enabled, those temps do sound a little warm. What cooler are you using, and what does CPU-z show as your idle vcore?

I would just suggest you flash back to an older one, don't matter, just for a minute or so to see if maybe this is just a F12 BIOS issue or not.

Comment

I'm using the Coolermaster V8 with the HAF 932 case. CPU-z shows my idle vcore at 1.184v.

I will flash back tomorrow morning, and then flash it to an older version and see how that works. Somebody mentioned to me that the readings are correct, but 45C for a aftermarket heatsink (v8) sounds pretty damn high. My motherboard has a BIOS reset button near the back, can I just simply hit that with my computer off and it'll flash my BIOS to the older one?

Comment

Well 920 is hot, but I have setup a few with smaller coolers and overclocked to 4Ghz (1.3-1.425+) and none of them idled above 40-45, so that does seem very warm to me. Are you sure your mount is good and not too much paste, or it is loose maybe?

No, you will need to flash manually, use Qflash or DOS. That button just clears the CMOS

Comment

Yep I'm pretty sure the heatsink is mounted properly with the appropriate amount of thermal paste. I do not think that's the problem.

I will try to flash my BIOS tomorrow - can flashing harm a computer in anyway? And should I try flashing the OLDEST BIOS version the Gigabyte website has? I've downloaded the F12 from the website, but the oldest BIOS I can find is the F3. Or should I make my way down newest to oldest?

Comment

Well no, unless you do it wrong. Please read my flashing guide here and you should be good to go >>
                    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Na, I would just try a few older ones, like F9 or F11, not the oldest ones. You can directly flash to any BIOS, but I do advise you avoid some of the very old ones like F3 as they may not work with your CPU. I'd say stick with F7 or above and you should be fine, they all may be fine but you never know so best to not try the oldest ones.

You can get all of them here
                    GA-EX58-EXTREME (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

Also many random older beta F9's you could test with as well here
                    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...tml#post276790

You should only need to try one or two to be able to tell if F12 is the cause, just try F10 and F11 and see if things are the same or not, be sure you load optimized after your flash and save/apply/reboot (BACK to the BIOS if you are using RAID< to set RAID Again before loading windows)

Comment

Re: Ex58-extreme &amp; i7 920

Thanks for all the useful information.

I'm reading the guide right now and I'm completely lost. I'm pretty new to all this computer gizmo so it'll take me a while to absorb this. Are there any other methods of flashing the BIOS? I honestly thought it was just downloading the BIOS from the Gigabyte website and installing it, and poof!

Comment

It is fairly easy, you can do it in less than a minute. The guide just looks so big due to the many ways you can flash and various methods and or warnings per each method.

The easiest way is put the BIOS File ONLY (The Fxx. File) on a USB Stick, then reboot to Qflash by pressing the END Key at bootup time, or F8 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, then browse to the file on your USB Stick from Qflash and then 10 seconds later you will be done.

Comment

That sounds much easier :)

So download either the F10-F11, extract/install it and place the Fxx. file onto a USB stick and reboot with Qflash (by pressing END). Browse for the Fxx. on your USB stick, and complete! Hopefully I do everything right and the temperatures will be fixed, I'll keep you updated, thanks so much!

Comment

Yeap, it is that easy. Don't forget to disable "Keep DMI Data" on the Qflash screen before you flash, and if you are using RAID please do read the guide fully so you don't mess up your array.

If you are not using RAID, just flash then reboot and load optimized and save/apply/F10 and reboot back to the BIOS and check your temps there, then windows.

Comment

i just want to add that gigabyte fixed the inaccurate temp readings from f9 bios onwards,before f9 there was a good 6c difference,45c idling is too hot for cores with that cooler tho,i idle at 37-39c cores @3.8ghz,set your fan speed manually aswell in easytune its better than on auto

this is what i use for fan speed setting

Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                              Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                              Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                              Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                              Dual Boot
                              1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                              1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                              Ati x1950 pro gpu
                              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                              1050w psu
                              Nzxt lexa case
                              http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Working...
                              X