Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-EXTREME- Problems with Integrated LAN Controllers

Hi,

I'm reopening a new thread with my problem here.
    Please help :)

I recently bought a GA-EX58-EXTREME mobo. I have problems with the onboard NICs.

After a cold start, they are both detected correctly by the OS (either Linux or Windows Vista). As long as the computer stays on (even for days), the network cards function properly.
    However, after a restart things start to get random: sometimes only one NIC is recognized by the system and sometimes neither of them.
    This problem is NOT OS-related: when the problem occurs, the are not
    recognized by any OS (Linux, Windows Vista) or by the BIOS.
    To be more specific, here is what I do to test:
    -reboot in Windows, no LAN detected
    -power off and wait for a couple of minutes
    -boot Windows, LANs are detected correctly

-reboot in Linux, no LAN detected
    -boot Linux, LANs are detected correctly

-reboot and enter in BIOS settings
    -use the Virtual Cable test feature for both NICs- application does NOT work (so the NICs are not detected even by BIOS)
    -enter BIOS settings again- Virtual Cable successfully detects cable signal for both NICs

I tried different versions of BIOS- F4 and F5x and all have the same problem.

I have 5 SATA HDDs and one SATA DVD, powered by a Corsair 750W power supply. My APC UPS application reports a load of less than 200W constantly, so this cannot be the cause of the issue.
    Also, the motherboard is not overclocked in any way.

What would your advice be for further troubleshooting this? Could this be a BIOS bug or a hardware problem?

Thanks!

Re: GA-EX58-EXTREME- Problems with Integrated LAN Controllers

bump

Comment

Have you tried re-installing the drivers for the Nics? Or check to see if there is an updated driver for them?
      Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme (bios revision beta F6B) / I7 920 @ 3.8GHz 1.3V (190 x 20)
      Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 3X2GB 8-8-8-24 @ 1.64v (running at 1520MHz with 8 multi)
      EVGA GTX 285 x 2 SLI
      Samsung Syncmaster 275T LCD
      Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W Modular PSU
      ASUS Xonar DX2 w/Onkyo TX-SR706 / Kef 7.1
      Sennheiser HD595
      2 x 300GB Velocoraptors in RAID 0
      Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler
      Coolermaster H.A.F.932 / Vista 64 Ultimate SP1

Comment

In BIOS? ;)

Comment

This has been seen before. Take a look at this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58-ud5-problem-28739/

Mine is fixed - either by updating bios and/or using different drivers. I know - it doesn't seem like it could be drivers. My theory is that the drivers do something illegal to the hardware leaving the lans locked up. Anyway, use the latest bios and, for Windows, don't let Windows install the lan drivers dated October. Download them from Realtek.

Comment

Hi,

Could you please tell me what exact version of the BIOS you have?
            I see the latest is F6b, but the thread was opened a while ago...

Otherwise, thanks for the advice, I'll try this over the weekend.

Ovidiu

Comment

I remember for sure that F5d worked well for me. I've changed to F6a prior to trying my drives in AHCI mode (figuring that they must have fixed that by now) and am having no problems. But be sure to check that you're not using the Realtek drivers dated 10/07. I've told Windows to hide the update so it doesn't keep offering it to me.

Comment

F6b is the latest Beta. You can always get the Latest Beta BIOS for your board here >>

Comment

Hi. I had the same problem with network on ga-x58-ds4.
                  This happened only in windows and after didnt worked on linux(mandriva 2009) too ,only disconnect from power helped.
                  I have flashed bios F5 from gigabyte, installed drivers from october 2008, in windows entered to configuration of lan adapter and disabeled power saver, green lan , then the problem gone.
                  If i dont disable power saver and green lan ,problem continues on F5 bios.
                  Strange that power saver locks lan and only power off helps.
                  Hope next bios will fix this problem i see F6b is available, but i want only final version.

p.s sorry for my english :)
                  Last edited by sash_kur; 03-05-2009, 03:52 AM.

Comment

No luck for me.
                    I tried with F5 official release and also with the latest beta- F6d. I updated RTL drivers both in Windows and in Linux (drivers dated 02/26/09 for Vista and 02/25/09 for Linux).

The only difference I imagine between my setup and those who worked for other people is the number of drives used. I use 5 HDDs and 1 DVD drive- all on the Intel SATA controller. I did notice some stability improvement when I ran the system with only one HDD and the DVD drive (LAN interfaces went undetected after more reboots). I could be subjective though...

Of all X58 motherboards manufacturers that use on-board RTL chipsets, only Gigabyte seem to have this issue...so I don't think it's driver-related after all.
                    I think it's a hardware or a BIOS firmware problem...and since no BIOS firmware managed to fix this, I fear it's actually the former to be blamed.

Comment

Sash_kur,

I am sorry for being unclear. Do Not use the October/08 network driver. Any other version is ok.

Ovidiuz,

I had hoped that my "fix" would work for you. If I can figure out why mine works now I'll be sure to post it.

Comment

I had a similar problem when I was installing windows.
                        After windows update installed the new NIC drivers I was having problems. Rolling back to previous driver (I'm guessing the one on the CD) fixed it for me..
                        Windows 7 Pro 64 | OCZ Vertex 120 | Cosmos S
                        Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (F6) | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
                        i7 2600k | 2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | EVGA GTX570 SC
                        Apogee XT | Magicool 360 Radiator | MCP35x Pump + v.2 Res

Comment

i've entered to the lan configuration and disabeled all power sever options and in driver advanced properties have disabeled green lan, in bios green lan disabeled also. It works for me , but if i'll enabele all theese settings lan will go to sleep . I think its not drivers, its bios problems.
                          SnorkleZ can you give me please link to the drivers you use?
                          Last edited by sash_kur; 03-05-2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

@SnorkleZ: Thank you for your help any way. It was important to see how you managed to fix it, although it didn't work for me.
                            @sash_kur: Definitely a power control problem. If I enable the option to restart after power loss, NICs dissapear after a while without the need for a reboot.

Since I use my computer mainly as a home server, and this problem made it very unreliable, I bought an extra PCI Intel Pro 1000 adapter...

Comment

Just for fun I let "Windows Update" install the driver it suggests I use. Problem came back with no LAN recognized. I then downloaded the driver version 6.216 dated 02/26/2009 from Realtek and the problem is fixed again. I tried it with Green LAN on, and that now works also. I have not lately tried the driver on the cd that came with the motherboard, but it sounds like that one may work also. I find it interesting that Realtek has released several updates to this driver. It is nice to see companies like Realtek (and Gigabyte too) release fixes to problems, rather than pretending that there is no problem. :-)

I hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X