Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Originally posted by Corei7MAN View Post
    Yeah but I shouldn't have to disable important features on a $300 motherboard. I used a linux live cd and the noise was gone (or at least signifiacntly reduced). Where are the GIGABYTE reps?
    And I don't have to spend free time here trying to help people out either.

I gave you a possible solution and there are several posts highlighting the nature of the problem.
    If you care to do a search on this forum or any large motherboard forum you will find that it is fairly common.
    I'm not going to reiterate what I have already written on these forums - which has been in some detail as to why all makes of board and models can exhibit this nuisance.

It's Not a fault (in the same way a light bulb that gets hot isn't at fault). The only way in my opinion (and I have long history in electronics) is for taiwanese/chinese companies to up the level of component quality. Their current component quality is very good, but it's at a price point - it has to compete. When companies aggressively compete something has to give.
    If of course component quality was raised a level, then motherboards for instance would become far more expensive.

$300 is fantastically cheap for what you get - we pay more for the same products here in the UK and when you consider it, it's still a good deal.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I wasn't intending on offending you and I apologize if you took it that way. I certainly appreciate the help you've given me. I've looked over numerous forums and most of them end without a solution. This is the only exception so far but I'd rather not disable that function. I've noticed the new BIOS is F5f and was wondering if that fixed the problem sine the OP only tried F4?

Comment

I wasn't intending on offending you and I apologize if you took it that way. I certainly appreciate the help you've given me. I've looked over numerous forums and most of them end without a solution. This is the only exception so far but I'd rather not disable that function. I've noticed the new BIOS is F5f and was wondering if that fixed the problem sine the OP only tried F4?
        By altering the loading on the VRM chokes, you'll likely for given same performance alter the likelyhood of a choke "ringing" at an annoying audible frequency - thats still not to say it won't do so at another time, ie heavy loading or at idle.

I'm not sure if there is a big difference between C1 and C1E (enhanced). As far as I'm aware C1 is still invoked by default by later windows OS's and works regardless of C1E being enable or disabled in the bios.
        Performance Monitor (Windows Vista and probably XP) can be used to see C1, C2 & C3 in action in windows.

You'll notice that if you monitor your temps in the bios (PC health) for say 10mins (No C1 will be active), then boot to windows, you'll notice a decrease in temperatures once you've stayed idle for a few minutes. That is Vanilla C1 doing it's thing.
        All the "E"'s are enhanced as far as I can tell - basically taking good energy saving methods another step further, but not neccessarily as big as the leap that C1 "vanilla" makes.
        I suppose when it comes to laptops and battery life etc, if you can squeeze more efficiency that's not only a "green" thing but makes using smaller and lighter batteries more attractive, that has to be a good thing.

I'm not sure how Gigabyte would approach such a problem through a bios update short of altering (if they can) aspects of the VRM, which is essentially hardware which has limitations on what can be controlled, ie Vcore. Even so it's an electro/mechanical occurrence and stopping it making a noise at "X" will probably allow it to start making a noise at "Y".
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

So is this a board that needs an RMA? Is this a manufactoring defect or is it present on all UD5's?

Comment

So is this a board that needs an RMA? Is this a manufactoring defect or is it present on all UD5's?
            It's not really a defect.

All boards from all manufacturers Can do it - question is, will it be in the audible range that annoys you.

Chokes are essentially electromechanical (when it comes to noise). The Copper windings that are wound around materials such as ferrite, will "ring" in sympathy at a given point.
            Chokes may be "locked" by some manufacturers (power supplies come to mind) with epoxy, hot glue, varnish etc to stop the noise form happening.

Basically you could RMA your board and get another one that does exactly or near on the same. (That could be from Gigabyte, Asus, Abit or any MB manufacturer)

It's not a fault, but its entirely upto you as to how you wish to proceed.

Comment

So why don't they use solid state chokes?

To eliminate this, MSI has started using solid state chokes, which have the coil actually inside of the iron rather than wire wrapped around the outside. This process creates a choke with a single component rather than the multiple parts inside of a ferrite choke. Besides making the choke totally silent, a solid state choke can withstand higher current than a ferrite one, and also can handle sudden high currents, as when overclocking, much better than ferrite chokes. Also, something I find very interesting, the manufacturing process to build a solid state choke takes about 10% of the energy that is used in manufacturing a ferrite choke, making a solid state choke much greener than a ferrite choke.

Comment

Also when I put my ear to the PSU I hear a varying squeal too. I know it isn't the PSU since my Silencer 750W did the same.

Comment

After researching, I found out that C1E is really unnescessary and recommended to be turn off when overclocking anyways. So I turned it off and the sound is gone! Thanks for everything VorLonUK.

Comment

Hi
                    i have the x58 ud5 and a corsair 620 psu
                    had the high pitched squealing when first built system F3 bios
                    change to beta bios overclocked 920 to 4.2 and disable all the enhanced cpu features except enable all cores
                    the noise disappeared
                    have used various beta bios after that and found no problems
                    until now update to F5f and the noise return until overclocked and disable again all enhanced features
                    i would guess that the noise is someting to do with the cpu enhanced features which i always disable

Has anyboby used the sound blaster driver which is on gigabyte web page and how does it compare with real thing
                    also my easytune will now not load at strt up and comes up with new version avaible which i already have
                    Last edited by markhaunch; 01-22-2009, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I havent read everything, but it sounds like some sort of coil whine. If you do a google, you'll find lots of cases where a PSU, motherboard, GPU, harddrives or even a wireless netcard causes it. I had it, and i spend two weeks pinpointing it down..At first i suspected the PSU, since this seems to be the case most often. I tried five different PSUs, tried them in the case, outside the case, with the rest of the hardware isolated and listened to the PSU with a stetoscope and etc.. Turned out the PSU wasn't the problem. I tested the motherboard then, couldn't pinpoint it here either. Tried a different GPU before i changed the mobo. In the end, the only thing i hadn't tried, was disabling my harddrives. I took the power from all four and....silence! It was so crazy..i have had the drives for many years, but it wasn't until i changed to a much quieter setup that i noticed it. This was my case now, but before that my old Geforce FX5900 Ultra would whine whenever i was surfing the net, especially when i was scrolling. I remember reading about the problem on the Inquirer, and i read lots of threads where people tried do fix it.

Not that i think this is your problem. If it is coilwhine, you can usually push on the coil you think it is (if it isn't too hot!), and if it changes frequenzy, you got bonus. I think it could be your corsair HX, since i have read about A LOT of these making an aweful lot of coil whine.
                      CPU 3570K
                      Cooler Noctua NH-C14
                      Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
                      RAM Corsair 8GB 1866MHz
                      PSU Seasonic Platinum 760W
                      GFX Asus DCII TOP 680GTX
                      SSD Samsung 840 256GB
                      SSD Kingston SSDNow V+180 128GB
                      HDD Western Digital AV-GP 2TB

Comment

So I've been e-mailing GIGABYTE about his and all they tell me is that it doesn't exist. Their logic is that since they don't hear the noises in the labs, then it doesn't exist. I've cited tons of references to users with the same problem. I've flashed the BIOS and even called them but the noise is still there unless I disable C1E. I want to see if they can fix this through a BIOS fix or whether this purely hardware related.They don't want to believe that their board produces a squeal.

Comment

So I've been e-mailing GIGABYTE about his and all they tell me is that it doesn't exist. Their logic is that since they don't hear the noises in the labs, then it doesn't exist. I've cited tons of references to users with the same problem. I've flashed the BIOS and even called them but the noise is still there unless I disable C1E. I want to see if they can fix this through a BIOS fix or whether this purely hardware related.They don't want to believe that their board produces a squeal.
                          As i've explained in my previous posts about this, the very nature of the "nuisance" might not be easily recreated - ie by gigabyte. I would find it very doubtful that every x58 GB board out there did the same. These boards are very popular and GB have them at a very good price point. You would have thought if it were a major issue affecting most X58 boards then most likely your query would have been acknowledged by GB.

Saying all that though, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one board revision on the X58 models, simply as it's a different setup to previous boards/chipsets and of course, very new.

Comment

It's no just the EX58 series, it's previous boards as well. It's a problem significant to GIGABYTE boards. If I knew about this issue before, I wouldn't have bought it.

Comment

It's no just the EX58 series, it's previous boards as well. It's a problem significant to GIGABYTE boards. If I knew about this issue before, I wouldn't have bought it.
                              It is annoying, I agree, but it is definately not Gigabyte Specific. I have an Asrock and Asus board that do it too. The Asrock (I have) uses open type chokes that i did decide to "lock" myself as the noise was annoying.

I understand it is annoying and I'm certainly not being a fanboy or even attempting to make excuses. But unfortunately it happens with everything that is electronic. Are there ways around it? - of course there are, but as per one of my earlier posts it's essentially down to component quality and pricing.

In the meantime, if with C1E enabled causes the VRM chokes to "ring" at an annoying frequency within the human audio range, with some setups, then disable it. As i've said previously I know thats not an ideal solution or even a proper solution, but from what i've seen C1E only makes a fraction of power savings compares to C1 proper, which is invoked by the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
                                It is annoying, I agree, but it is definately not Gigabyte Specific. I have an Asrock and Asus board that do it too. The Asrock (I have) uses open type chokes that i did decide to "lock" myself as the noise was annoying.

I understand it is annoying and I'm certainly not being a fanboy or even attempting to make excuses. But unfortunately it happens with everything that is electronic. Are there ways around it? - of course there are, but as per one of my earlier posts it's essentially down to component quality and pricing.

In the meantime, if with C1E enabled causes the VRM chokes to "ring" at an annoying frequency within the human audio range, with some setups, then disable it. As i've said previously I know thats not an ideal solution or even a proper solution, but from what i've seen C1E only makes a fraction of power savings compares to C1 proper, which is invoked by the OS.
                                Can I RMA my board when revision 2 comes out and receive the new one?

Comment

Working...
                                X