Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Originally posted by bgnt44 View Post
    so only changing the psu could resolve the problem !
    It Could but it may not.

It's one of those things you could try if you could possibly borrow another PSU.

From Windows Idle to Prime95 loading what does HWmonitor report your 3.3, 5 & 12 volts are. Hwmonitor has a Min/Max reporting feature.

And like I said above, are you using a 4 pin or 8 pin 12volt atx connection????

If you are using a 4 pin like i believe the handbook says you can when NOT using Intel extreme CPU's, you could negate some Volt drop on the CPU 12volts VRM supply side if you use the 8 Pin connection, which Could/Might stop that Choke Ringing when it does.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

I use the 8 pin but i've try the 4 pin but it doens't change anything

I've try a no name 430w psu but it make some noise too. maybe i should try a more powerfull psu ( 800 - 1000 w ) but it's a bit expensive and i don't know anybody who use it
      Last edited by bgnt44; 12-19-2008, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Did you take your recording from one of the chokes around the CPU socket?
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

no the mic was near the psu... the sound is louder from the psu !

Comment

Originally posted by bgnt44 View Post
            no the mic was near the psu... the sound is louder from the psu !

This is why i keep on asking about your PSU Voltages! Have you moved the PSU away from the motherboard, so you know for sure where the sound is coming from?

Comment

yes of course i did and i really heard that it come from the psu .

But it's my second Corsair HX620 ( i change it because i thought it was reponsible of the noise ( a month ago ) ! But the new one make the same noise )

I'will post my PSU voltage as soon as i go back home

---

Do you think that if i change a little the cpu volt i can stop the noise ?
              Last edited by bgnt44; 12-19-2008, 09:10 AM.

Comment

So to clarify, the noise you recorded is coming from the Power Supply Only?

Comment

probably or i can't hear the motherboard noise because of psu noise...

i've just seen that the noise appear one more time when i connect an usb key

When the processor is fully loaded, there's no sound ( i've try to disconnect and reconnect usb keys and never hear anything )
                  Last edited by bgnt44; 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

OK, there is something wrong with that and I'm assuming Hw monitor hasn't been updated for the X58 chipset yet (i will check).

Plus OCCT is No good either as it uses the same code....

Edit:-

Try Everest Trial:-
                    Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

Also Your Bios on the PC Health Screen will report voltages...
                    or
                    EasyTune will too.

Edit 2:-

Even though OCCT looks like its reporting the 12volt line incorrectly, the initial "trough" in the graph is odd. Have you got the DES software installed?

You need to check the 12volt line in the Bios, or if Hwmonitor is reporting correctly, then you do have one big problem.
                    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-19-2008, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I've try another psu ( the fourth ) and same problem, the sound come from the psu but the motherboard is responsible, i don't know how and what should i do

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
                        OK, there is something wrong with that and I'm assuming Hw monitor hasn't been updated for the X58 chipset yet (i will check).

Plus OCCT is No good either as it uses the same code....

Try Everest Trial:-
                        Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

Also Your Bios on the PC Health Screen will report voltages...
                        or
                        EasyTune will too.

Edit 2:-

Even though OCCT looks like its reporting the 12volt line incorrectly, the initial "trough" in the graph is odd. Have you got the DES software installed?

You need to check the 12volt line in the Bios, or if Hwmonitor is reporting correctly, then you do have one big problem.
                        i've nothing installed except windows vista ( and some bench software of course )

There is no information about +12v in the bios only +5, cpu and ddr !

Comment

everest can't show me +12v ( TRIAL VERSION ) but every other value are the same as hwmonitor ( include 0,18 for the 3,3v )

Comment

It is really odd. I just wonder if you have some sort of partial short somewhere that is really loading up the PSU without actually activating it's overcurrent protection. But then again the 430watt no name PSU you tried would have given up well before your HX620 would.

Are there any indications with the status LED's that this board has dozens of, that indicate something is wrong?

Have you tried just a minimal setup 1 HD, 1-2 sticks of ram? What graphics card are you using and if required is it using a 6 pin/8pin PCI-e 12volt connection?

Are there any marks on the Printed surface of the motherboard to indicate overheating?

Is the bottom of the Motherboard supported only where standoffs should be?

Did you connect up any remote USB ports, ie to Front case? if you did disconnect them.

One of the other possibilities is a genuine fault on the board where the decoupling capacitors around the VRM has a partial short (ie "leaky") and is causing "noise" to feedback to the PSU.

It seems too, from looking at the Everest forums that GB have omitted the 12volt line monitoring feature. Have you got a multimeter? You could always measure the 12 volt line that way.

Also when these PSU's become "noisy" do they all make a similiar noise as heard in you recording? Do their fans too ramp up in speed indicating that they are getting hot due to Current demand?

It may not be the motherboard injecting the noise, it could be graphics or even a Hard drive.

Does the sound start immediately or when you enter windows etc?

Are you using a UPS/Line Conditioner etc or are you plugging your power supply straight into the mains?
                            Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-19-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Just for comparison sake (and because I think bgnt44 has the same PSU as me - HX620), here are my voltage readouts from HWMonitor when the system is being stressed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hwmon.gif
Views:	1
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	749587

Thanks

Comment

It is really odd. I just wonder if you have some sort of partial short somewhere that is really loading up the PSU without actually activating it's overcurrent protection. But then again the 430watt no name PSU you tried would have given up well before your HX620 would.
                                Are there any indications with the status LED's that this board has dozens of, that indicate something is wrong?
                                I've check but leds are ok ()
                                Have you tried just a minimal setup 1 HD, 1-2 sticks of ram? What graphics card are you using and if required is it using a 6 pin/8pin PCI-e 12volt connection?
                                yes of course, i've start the computer without graphic card (blind) and the noise still
                                present, i've change the hdd too and try with only one stick of ram, same result !
                                Are there any marks on the Printed surface of the motherboard to indicate overheating?
                                no marks, (or i can't see them)
                                Is the bottom of the Motherboard supported only where standoffs should be?

Did you connect up any remote USB ports, ie to Front case? if you did disconnect them.
                                I've unplugged every unnecessary component
                                One of the other possibilities is a genuine fault on the board where the decoupling capacitors around the VRM has a partial short (ie "leaky") and is causing "noise" to feedback to the PSU.
                                maybe but what can i do ?
                                It seems too, from looking at the Everest forums that GB have omitted the 12volt line monitoring feature. Have you got a multimeter? You could always measure the 12 volt line that way.
                                i don't have multimeter at home for the moment
                                Also when these PSU's become "noisy" do they all make a similiar noise as heard in you recording? Do their fans too ramp up in speed indicating that they are getting hot due to Current demand?
                                for every psu the sound is the same, and the fan speed don't change
                                It may not be the motherboard injecting the noise, it could be graphics or even a Hard drive.
                                graphic card: impossible ( because the sound still present when there s no card )
                                i've try various hdd but it doesn't change anything so i think that hdd is not responsible

Does the sound start immediately or when you enter windows etc?
                                like in the record ( i've recording the pc starting )
                                i've never hear the sound before windows starting
                                So, the sound start more or less with windows

Are you using a UPS/Line Conditioner etc or are you plugging your power supply straight into the mains?
                                I use a Line Conditioner but i've try to plug my psu straight to the main too : same result

thanks for helping me
                                Last edited by bgnt44; 12-20-2008, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X