Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Hey guys

About 2 weeks i purchared the Zoostorm Core i7-920 Gaming PC which comes with Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. These last few days the mobo is making this really high pitch noise and after a while it makes even stranger noise like a weird lamp is about to pop. Kinda sounds like static noise. I could record the bloody thing to show.

Im really worried since the sounds dont seem to be natural im sure. I updated the bios to F3 and its still the same. Is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

thanks in advance.

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Try F4N posted in the BIOS sticky and see if that helps. Also uninstall DES

Comment

you have a noisy choke.

its kinda hard to fix because its encased in plastic but you can take it apart so its outside a case. assemble outside run it as it is inside the case and press each choke till you find the noisy one.

Either way with them being incapsulated you still have to RMA the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Kay View Post
        you have a noisy choke.

its kinda hard to fix because its encased in plastic but you can take it apart so its outside a case. assemble outside run it as it is inside the case and press each choke till you find the noisy one.

Either way with them being incapsulated you still have to RMA the board.
        Like lee kay says, often it is a choke on the motherboard or even the graphics card, making often what sounds like a high pitched "buzz" that will vary in pitch depending on the load going through it. In the past i've used an epoxy resin or varnish on the "Open type" and that has effectively locked the winding and stopped it resonating against the ferrite core. The new Chokes are partially or fully incapsulated and it seems the partially incapsulated ones can still make a considerable noise, but are even harder to rectify (because they are partially closed in and locking them is not really viable). The fully enclosed type still manage to emit some noise if the winding is loose - ish.

Either which way it's not technically a problem but more of an audible nuisance to you - the user.

* I did start to write the method I use to check for where the noise is specifically coming from, as I have done in the workshop over a number of years, but decided it might not be a good idea to post it. I don't want anyone injuring themselves or damaging their boards in the test process.
        If anyone really wants to check exactly what is causing the noise, whilst the board is in situe (ie whilst in the case), I'm happy to give instruction through PM, but it'll be at your own risk.

Edit:-
        Can you hear the noise As loudly from the Power supply exhaust fan? - Indicating it could be a noisy Choke/Transformer in the power supply?
        Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM.
        GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Hey guys

Thanks for the reply to all. I sent an email to the gigabyte guys and they replyed with.

I used a mic to see where the noise was coming from and looks like its coming from both the mobo and the powersupply. Dont get me wrong, im not being picky at all, its bloody laugh the thig. Im about 1.5m way from the case and i can hear it when it starts. I contacted Zoostorm and the guys said that they need to see the unit also.

@VorLonUK Yeah, its louder than the fan's around it. Its strange because the noise comes and guys which is really confusing to me anyway.

I will let you guys know the progress.

Comment

hi,

i've got this motherboard and the same problem ( both noise of motherboard and power supply ( corsair HX 620))

i've try to update firmware to F4r but noise are always here ( a bit different ), i don't know what to do ...

it sound like this :
            Hear the sound
            Last edited by bgnt44; 12-19-2008, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Hi

I've also got the same problem with my UD5 (and also have the HX-620 PSU), but the noise from mine seems to be more noticeable when when the hard drives are under load or when I move the mouse (??) ... interesting thing is when the machine is being stressed (i.e. Prime95), the noise seems to dissapear ...

I've tried various BIOS revisions from F2 - F4n, but no change.

There seems to be a fair few people around the place who have a similar issue - is this normal for these boards?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by las View Post
                Hi

I've also got the same problem with my UD5 (and also have the HX-620 PSU), but the noise from mine seems to be more noticeable when when the hard drives are under load or when I move the mouse (??) ... interesting thing is when the machine is being stressed (i.e. Prime95), the noise seems to dissapear ...

There seems to be a fair few people around the place who have a similar issue - is this normal for these boards?

Thanks
                If it's a squeal, buzz, high pitched noise it could easily be a choke or transformer (in the case of the PSU), on the Motherboard or Graphics card.

often it is a choke on the motherboard or even the graphics card, making often what sounds like a high pitched "buzz" that will vary in pitch depending on the load going through it.
                Load will always vary and may even be more noticeable (audio wise) when using new technologies such as DES.
                A choke that resonates is normal, but a choke that hasn't be tightly wound (enough) or locked with Varnish/Expoxy etc, is just plain annoying as it will make a noise when a certain set of circumstances coincide.

My Graphics card does it at one point on 3dmark Vantage and I've had a number of motherboards that would do it too.
                Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-18-2008, 06:32 PM.
                GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Originally posted by las View Post
                  Hi

Thanks
                  i've notice that when i update the bios, the noise stop until i reboot and it may be a bit different with different bios version (but still present)
                  update sound
                  it sound like this :
                  Hear the sound
                  Last edited by bgnt44; 12-19-2008, 05:12 AM.

Comment

From the Audio clip it does sound like a choke resonating/"ringing" on its core. Although that could be from the Motherboard, PSU or even Graphics card on depending what you are doing.
                    Changing the bios version would simply be a Red Herring or if the bios did alter say the way DES worked, would only put off the noise until another "Profile" was met.

You can't stop this from happening, except maybe with another example of the board and then that may do it when another Profile is met.

The load (current) through a Choke varies depending on what you do with your PC.
                    For instance when you boot up the CPU isn't seeing any Power Saving features. Once in windows power saving features (C1) are always working even if you've disabled the Extended versions of those features in the bios. This means the Current through the CPU VRM is constantly changing and it's when a specific set of circumstances are met, that a choke that is wound ever so slightly loose (on it's core) will "Ring" in sympathy. That is why the sound is sort of fleeting.

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
                      From the Audio clip it does sound like a choke resonating/"ringing" on its core. Although that could be from the Motherboard, PSU or even Graphics card on depending what you are doing.
                      Changing the bios version would simply be a Red Herring or if the bios did alter say the way DES worked, would only put off the noise until another "Profile" was met.

You can't stop this from happening, except maybe with another example of the board and then that may do it when another Profile is met.

The load (current) through a Choke varies depending on what you do with your PC.
                      For instance when you boot up the CPU isn't seeing any Power Saving features. Once in windows power saving features (C1) are always working even if you've disabled the Extended versions of those features in the bios. This means the Current through the CPU VRM is constantly changing and it's when a specific set of circumstances are met, that a choke that is wound ever so slightly loose (on it's core) will "Ring" in sympathy. That is why the sound is sort of fleeting.
                      OK !

Does that problem mean that i can request a replacement of my motherboard ?

Comment

Originally posted by bgnt44 View Post
                        OK !

Does that problem mean that i can request a replacement of my motherboard ?
                        I suppose that's down to the Retailers Policy. Although technically it's not a problem, it could be seen in warranty terms a bit like the dead/stuck pixel scenario on LCD monitors - all manufacturers have different policies on the matter.

Personally, if the board was OK in every other aspect, I wouldn't even consider sending it back. If it is that annoying to you (and most decent cases shield that sort of sound) then you could try returning it. Thing is, you can bet that if you return it to a retailer who does test the board, that they won't hear the noise or be able to recreate it.

Have you also monitored your power supply with HWMonitor, to see if any of your supply lines go out of specification whilst under load? Also are you using the 4 or 8 pin 12v atx plug on the board?

Comment

Originally posted by VorLonUK View Post
                          I suppose that's down to the Retailers Policy. Although technically it's not a problem, it could be seen in warranty terms a bit like the dead/stuck pixel scenario on LCD monitors - all manufacturers have different policies on the matter.

Personally, if the board was OK in every other aspect, I wouldn't even consider sending it back. If it is that annoying to you (and most decent cases shield that sort of sound) then you could try returning it. Thing is, you can bet that if you return it to a retailer who does test the board, that they won't hear the noise or be able to recreate it.

Have you also monitored your power supply with HWMonitor, to see if any of your supply lines go out of specification whilst under load? Also are you using the 4 or 8 pin 12v atx plug on the board?
                          Exactly, i've return the board to the retailler and they can't hear anything ! ( i don't know why ) but the thing is that they don't want to replace it. So i'm a bit desapointed. I can't concentrate with sounds like this. I've bought lots of expensive hardware to have a very quiet computer and now i hear this sound.

I've take them my power supply too for testing but the same result : they say that every thing is normal.

As you can hear from the audio file, the problem is here. But what can i do ? What's gigabyte policy for these problem !!?

Thks

Comment

What's gigabyte policy for these problem !!?
                            I have no idea......

Have you checked your PSU voltages though whilst under load?

Even another PSU could cure the "fault". It's all about when certain circumstances are met.

It's like wheel balancing on a car, annoying if you get some judder at common speeds, ie the urban speed limits, but not such a problem if it happens at say 84mph!

So it's more than likely if you swapped boards with someone else and they had a different PSU and CPU, memory and so on, that no noise would be emitted in the circumstances when it does for you.

Comment

so only changing the psu could resolve the problem !

Comment

Working...
                              X