Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Cool! You explained ram timings and my head didn't explode! :)

Ok, got the zalman CNPS9700. Comparing this to the arctic freezer... well, should have got a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme.

Will the zalman work? Should, but too many (IMHO) cons over the pros. The arctic freezer has a snap on fan but it's flimsy (and only 90mm I believe) and pretty much proprietary as is the zalman fan. But probably easier to jury rig one over the zalman. The thermalright takes any 120mm fan. In fact, it will hold two. (No fans come with it, however) And it's six pipe, not just three. And like the freezer pro, it is rated for quad core, while the zalman is not. Not that it won't work since many are using it for quads with good results. Zalman does make one for rated for quads but it seems no one on the planet has any.

So, what's my problem with zalman?

It weighs a ton (not that the thermalright is a lightweight either). Seems (to me) this was made to impress the user by it's "solid" feel. Lighter will run cooler. IMHO, HS fins "should" be flimsy. You want to dissipate heat, not hold on to it. Fans don't last forever and swapping it out should be a blast. And fans usually don't just stop. They slow down over time from wear so quick swapping out a fan is an easy troubleshoot. Also since, obviously, boards are vertical, a 20 ton HS mounted horizontally ain't no plus.

So here I sit. Contemplating using the zalman and having trouble 6 months down the road when the fan starts to weaken, or somehow jury rig the mount on the arctic freezer since their mount sucks, or just order a thermalright and get it over with.

Comment

Ya, ram timings are not that hard to understand. Now tweaking them, that is a bit different

I was using a Zalman 9700 not long ago, Got 4.4 on it >>>
      CPU-Z Validator 2.1 ~ 4.41 Submitted by Lsdmeasap

For a quad, ya you should go with the thermalright 120 or a xigmatek 120 if thermalright is too big

Thinner fins are better, the heat transfers to the air much quicker and does not get "Held" into the material as it would be in a ticker design

Comment

My PC Config is:
        GIGABYTE X48-DQ6
        INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9300 2.50 GHZ LGA775 - 1333 FSB
        4x1Gb of Mushkin XP2 9200 5-5-5-15 2.1V
        NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTX
        2X300GB VELOCIRAPTOR 10.000 RPM
        2X500GB HD
        2XDVD-R

Please give me the optimal config for my motherboard!
        Last edited by khronos; 09-29-2008, 06:20 AM.

Comment

You will have to overclock to get the most out of your ram. Bit if you do not want to, here is settings at stock >>>

Q9300 Stock with ram at 1066Mhz (4x1GB Mushkin 1150Mhz/9200)

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
          CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [7]
          Fine Clock Ratio _____________[0.5]
          CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
          C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20] = 1066 (If you see 3.33 you can use it for 1109Mhz, but you may need to up FSB to get this option it is FSB dependent). Use a divider with D if you see it

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
          Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
          Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
          Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 35-55 (Start around 48-50 if you are not sure then lower if you can later)

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
          Static tRead Value_______________ 6 (7-10) << 6 may not work, but at stock you may be able to use 6 or 5 even. If you want to test these, as the do impact Performance THE MOST, please do so with all other settings higher at first, then lower the rest later if you can boot at 5 or 6
          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always leave

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V << lower later if you can, most mushkin run better at lower then spec voltages
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - 0.15 - 0.2] << Start at .15, if it wont boot use .2 (Needed for 2x2 or 4x2)

CPU Voltage Control_______ [Auto]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
          No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
          C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
          x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
          CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
          Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

Thank you very much!

I will try those settings at once!

And if I want to use the memory at 1150MHz which settings should I change?

I forgot to mention that I have installed on my CPU a Zalman CNPS9700 NT.

Comment

For exact 1150 you will have to run your cpu with these settings >>>
              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [359]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20] = 1148.8 Use a divider with D if you see it

Or
              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [383]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.00] = 1149 Use a divider with D if you see it

Comment

Thank you very much!

Just one last question...

On the following settings you gave me, LOWER is FASTER-BETTER and higher is SLOWER-MORE STABLE? Am I correct?

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
                Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
                Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
                Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 35-55 (Start around 48-50 if you are not sure then lower if you can later)

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
                Static tRead Value_______________ 6 (7-10)

So for more speed I prefer lower values and for more stability higher???

Comment

Yeap, exactly. And lower/lowest may can memory failures so always test with Memtest86+ as you are lowering things

Adjust trd (Static tRead First) then the rest and if you are using 1150 Ram Freq 6 will not work at all, and 7 may even fail

Comment

With stock settings I do not have reboots any more!!! :)

Thanx lsdmeasap!

I will now try the overclocked settings! ;)

Comment

Good luck in your tweaking

Comment

Ok, used the arctic freezer 7 pro. Simple enough with the board out.

realtemp
                        32,34,26,29 (tjmax 100)

coretemp
                        37,32,34,39 (tjmax 95)

Still have the wild spread but at the point where I couldn't care less anymore and it's about 10c lower than it was. Good cooler for

half the price of the others and, as they say, temps should fall as it burns in.

Thoughts so far?

Why not use the zalman or the thermalright?
                        The arctic freezer was the easiest install and it's light as a feather. No worry about the weight hanging on the mobo so no back

plate required.

I knew going in I'd have to remove the crazy cool for the zalman or the thermalright. No big deal. Until you get to the point that you

need the special screws that came with the board to re stabilize the silent pipe on the front. Had the board for more than two

months. Any extra screws get thrown in a box with 9 zillion others. Sure, I'll find them in five minutes. (/sarcasm) Of course, they

say screws but show a pic of bolts. (gotta love translators) And you can't really use anything because they're right over traces so

should be insulated. And yeah, I could have cut them off the crazy cool, but if there's a problem with the board, how do you RMA

it?

Anyway, my last 4 or 5 boards were gigabytes. The engineering on this one, to me, is just really sad. Besides the ram fiasco it's

just badly designed, IMO. If it was meant to be OC'd, why on earth would anyone throw a cooler (aptly named crazy) under the

CPU that had to be removed to work with a hi end HS? IMHO, just no thought at all went into this. Sure the extra cooler may have

been a neat concept, but to remove it, you need the "special" screws for an aftermarket HS that virtually everyone would just throw

in a bucket or even throw out when they're done mounting the oem to get it up to speed. I don't even remember seeing them, but

that's another story.

Yes, intel has a major part in this mess with their idiotic mount system but a board manufacturer should have seen this coming.

There's a ton of ways they could have got around it but just didn't. And yes it's a pretty simple install "if" you have the board out,

but I don't ever remember mounting a HS with the board out. This one is just too tight to work with when everything else is already

installed.

But, that's my opinion and I'm stuck with it.

And since on the subject of HS's. Arctic just came out with a new one. And they figured out how to mount on a 775 without pulling

the board. Like I said before... just pop locks from the front. Not rocket science.
                        Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME CPU Cooler :: TweakTown

These things remind me of the old ninja's. Great coolers, lightweight (so no need for a back plate), wallet friendly.

Ok, rant over. :)

Comment

Ya, I think they could have designed the Crazy backplate better for sure, they know everyone uses aftermarket coolers, and alot use Water with backplates.

You see the new Ultra Durable 3 designs? 2oz Copper inside the PCB >>>
                          -- GIGABYTE -- Ultra Durable 3 Motherboards

-- GIGABYTE -- Ultra Durable 3 Motherboards

[TUP] Gigabyte EX58-Extreme Pictured in all its Might - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Can't wait to try those out myself. I don't like the Silver heatinks, I think black and blue would have been better for sure

Comment

Now that's cool. :) But it looks like they're staying with the idiotic HS mounts. Hopefully they'll ship some decent mounts with the board that will work.

Comment

Ya, or one could use Screws carefully

Comment

I have just bought and assembled a pile of parts:
                                Coolermaster cm690 case
                                Antec truepower 2.0 550W and Thermaltake vga power supply 450w to get 8 pin plug for 280
                                ga-x48-dq6 mobo
                                intel e8500
                                corsair dominator 8500c5d twinX 4 x 1 gig, matched pairs
                                seagate 320gig sata (two)
                                msi n280gtx t2d1g super oc
                                lg 22x dvd and w2242t-bf 22inch monitor
                                razer lachesis mouse
                                vista home premium 64

on initial build would not get past splash screen - no beeps
                                no mouse or keyboard response - removed razer and plugged in old ps2 ball mouse, then got constant reboot loop without reaching bios.
                                Finally with one lonely stick of ram it works. will not work with ram in any but slot one, the one nearest cpu, any extra, or one stick anywhere else gets the stop start loop. tried revised timings specified earlier, no improvement.
                                Is there any particular Mushkin, cause I'm guessing that's what you'd recommend, that would be the most appropriate to replace the Corsair.
                                Moderately depressed after the high of the buy.

nearest lo-price retailer has MUSHKIN Twin Pack 2x1 gig (2gig Total) DDR2 1066Mhz (PC2-8500) Value Enhanced?
                                Last edited by Salty; 10-21-2008, 01:16 AM. Reason: details

CPU
                                =
                                i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
                                Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
                                - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
                                Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
                                , BIOS Version = Award FC
                                Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
                                Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
                                Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
                                PSU = Corsair HX850
                                OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

Working...
                                X