• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

SO?

Where are you at with this now?

Comment

Oh, I'm having a blast. :) Broke a pin off the HS so reverted to the stock HS. Heat is high on initial boot (kicking 60's) but settles to 30's and high 40's after a few minutes. High, but workable. Again, business machine, just occasional gaming machine. Still, the sometimes 10 to 12 degree spread between cores throws me. And constantly bouncing around, not stable. With the last mount, the last two cores (2 & 3) were running hotter, now the two center cores (1 & 2) are running hotter. (I didn't have even close to this much trouble with my old prescott!)

Hopefully when the grease burns in it will stabilize and drop some more. Added another fan but doesn't seem to phase it so it doesn't look like an air flow problem. I'll probably end up just disconnecting it.

With the old mushkin... so far, so good. I'll have the new ram mid next week some time and I'll bug you about it then. :)

In the meantime... film at 11.

Comment

10-12 temp between cores can mean a few things. One being uneven heatsink base where it contacts the CPU. And second would be uneven or too much paste. And of course there is normally a few 2-6 +/- between cores anyway as both generally are doing something different.

Get ya a new heatsink soon as you can, Stock ones suck!

Comment

I agree and if I ever decide to game I probably will.

However, idleing at hi 30's to hi 40's now. But what throws me... the more I use it, the cooler it runs. I don't mean it's getting cooler the longer it runs. That should be normal. I mean as I push it, it runs cooler. From low 30 to low 40's. Get back to idle and the temp rises.

Comment

You may just have faulty sensors. Please get RealTemp >>>

Download >>>
            Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Calibration (IMPORTANT If you plan to ever use to watch temps!!!) >>>
            Real Temp - Documentation

And run the Sensor test, this will tell you if you do have faulty sensors, which many CPU's have

Comment

Seems a vast difference from coretemp. So which is which?
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok, 5 minutes later after opening a few programs, core temps showing 41, 42, 33, 34

sigh

Comment

And coretemp,which was showing hi 20's to hi 30's, now showing 56, 62, 64, 54.

WTF?

Comment

Ok, seems the coretemp settings got jazzed up. No idea if realtemp did it or not. But resetting the coretemp settings to default brought them back to where it was. But for some reason... more stable. Just bouncing +- 1 or 2C which is to be expected.

Realtemp- 40 41 32 33
                    coretemp- 45 37 38 46

If you notice, the two center cores are now running cooler with coretemp, as before they were running hotter.

Off to install the new ram.
                    Last edited by garyoa1; 09-24-2008, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Ok, heat aside (ordered a zalman cooler), how's this look?

Settings Mushkin xp2 9200 4x1 5 5 5 15

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [10]
                      CPU Frequency___________ 2.66 (266x10)
                      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
                      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
                      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
                      Performance Enhance = [Standard]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00] (FSB 266 X Memory Mutli 4.00 = 1064 RAM Freq)
                      CAS Latency Time________________ 5
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
                      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 50
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
                      Static tRead Value_______________ 7
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto << Do not adjust, leave at Zero, 1-31, or Auto
                      CMD______________auto
                      CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
                      CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
                      GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]
                      System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.30V]
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [ +0.200V]
                      Loadline calibration _______Auto
                      CPU Voltage control______________Normal
                      Normal CPU vcore__________1.27500v

Comment

Do you have them both set to the same tjmax? And what is it you re using for tjmax?

Timings look good, since you are not running them full speed you may be able to adjust refresh to act lower, and maybe bring down Ram and MCH voltage

And ya know, those are some Nice Chips in that ram, you may be able to run 5-5-5-12, or 5-4-4-12 at that speed, but maybe not? Only testing will let you know. I do know if you plan to try that you will have to set the advanced timings looser again before doing so

Comment

You're getting greek on me again. :) No idea what tjmax is or how to set it. Coretemp shows tjmax at 100c if we're talking about the same thing. I don't even know why I would want to set it to something else.

Even CAS ratings drive me nuts. Looks like lower is better, yet the more expensive ram is rated higher. Don't try to explain, my head will explode. ;)

But the machine seems to be running fine and stable. Of course, if you think there's something I should manipulate a bit, be glad to check it out. But you've been a tremendous help and I thank you!

Now this heat problem is still driving me flippin' nuts. I really don't want to pull the MB but it looks like I have no choice. Ran Age of Empires last nite, and while the heat used to drop under load... now it's rising. Got up to 67c. And that game should run on a flippin' 386 with no effort.

I'm thinking class action suit against intel. :) Or whatever sadistic b*****d designed the mount. Even the HS manufacturers. C'mon guys, if you need the push pins, just make them 4 inserts tapped for screws for the holes. Then the user can just pop them into the board and then screw the flippin' HS to the board.

sigh...

Comment

OK, yeah that is what I meant, coretemp and real temp both will allow you to change/set tjmax value. Should be either 95 or 100, depending on who you want to listen to

What? Where do you see more expensive ram rated higher? Maybe faster speed (Sales pitch for More $$) is higher, only because at those speeds it will not run lower CAS timings. But you should not be seeing any sets way more then any other of the same freq. Like you should not see one set of 800Mhz ram at 444-12 timings costing less then a 800Mhz 555-15 set

Lower is better, but faster ram speeds mean higher timings must be used.

Get rid of the stock cooler, your Board for one will thank you, and your CPU as well.

Comment

Hello Lsdmeasap!

A also have 4x1Gb of Mushkin XP2 9200 5-5-5-15 2.1V

Can you please give me the optimal settings for my DQ6 because I also have alot of reboots.

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Sure can, when I get back tonight or later today. Please add your system specs to your sig or your next post

Comment

Working...
                                X