Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Well they switched Chips, and configurations on the sticks themselves. Not sure why, likely in a attempt to create less RMA's but it hasn't helped.

I do know they Made the move to single sided 1GB sticks to stop production of D9GMH in a attempt to lessen RMA's due to major overvoltage for the nice overclocks those IC's provided. And likely to also cut costs, by using less chips and in the end receiving less RMA requests.

Those chips are not present in 2GB sticks so I would think they likely have less RMA's on those, but they are still Micron IC's and seems they are just not tas good as they used to be, no matter what IC it is.

Ya know, I just had a user here tell me yesterday he was in Fry's and he was told they do not carry Mushkin, ONLY brand names!!!

I laughed, I mean I know some may not know of them, but I could not believe a PC dealer was not aware of them as a brand name! I told him the guy was likely just feeding him a line in a attempt to get him to buy what ram they did have from him right then instead of shopping elsewhere.

Mushkin has been around for a LONG time, I remember using their RDRAM years and years ago.

Ya, lowest may be the issue. You of course have to wing it, but you may have chosen a lowest one that was too low

Do you have EIST and C1E disabled? If so, then Setting clock control to manual should not matter at all. If you have them enabled, then it may fail because speedstep clocks down the CPU and voltage so that could be why it fails for you.

Also do you have a USB Disk drive you use? If not go in Integrated Peripherals page and disable Legacy USB Storage Detect. Often this helps with strange errors

Comment

Actually when I ordered the ram, I never dreamed the ballistix would be single sided. Never noticed until I pulled it out. The replacements are double sided.

But yeah, I know mushkin has been around, but years ago they were way out of my league price wise. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it for my other system. A bit more than others, but not like double the price the way they were. I was so used to running crucial that I never gave them a thought for this one. Especially since I never had a problem with crucial.

EIST? C1E? Not a clue. Remember, I'm no overclocker. Most of this is greek to me. If I have a problem I'll kick around and see. Maybe if I ever get a chance I'll play with it but I really just need a quality reliable stock board. Right now I have to call Adobe and get the registration activated again. I've been screwing with this box so long the trial ran out on the old one. (gotta love copy protection) Then change the paths for all the stuff on the drives I have to put back. It was/is a jumbled mess on this temp machine. 3 drives besides the master. Drive e was j, drive i was zz... you get the picture. Hopefully I won't have to go thru that again.

No, no usb drives. 4 machines and a server so no real need for one. And I like this board with the hookup for a sata outside the box. Great idea.

But you've been a great help. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Well both types are not good in GA-P35 boards, My opinion again though nothing official.

Ya, mushkin used to be VERY Expensive. I find them actually all pretty much in the same area nowadays. Of course they do still offer higher priced sets, but the midrange (HP Blue models) are just about the same as most other mainstream prices.

C1E and EIST are in the Advanced BIOS page, What it does it step down your CPU multiplier and Voltage when your system is Idle (Most of the time) to downclock your CPU. Since you are not overclocking it may not matter, but I would disable it and see. Then you CPU will always run at 2.66, which it is not know if you have it enabled

Good luck with Adobe!

Yeap, please feel free to post back anytime, I will help when and if I can!

Comment

While I have your attention... any idea what's normal heat for these cpu's? (qe6700 quad) This thing runs mid 50's at idle according to coretemp. (but idle in the bios is 37-38c) Some cores even hit 60 (at idle) once in a while. Remember no OC here. But strangely, once it has a load the heat drops. Almost as if the smart fan wasn't working right. I did add a freezer 7 pro but it seemed to make no difference. In fact it came up a bit. Used arctic silver. I even read the instructions and used a small strip! :)
          I was going to try to re-seat the HS and I did order a mount to be able to screw the HS on to get past the sadistically designed mount system now, but of course that means pulling the board to mount it. I guess my question is, should I worry about mid 50's?

Comment

Sounds hot! 60C should be a Load temp range not a idle temp for sure.

Hopefully some others will drop a comment in, but I think it is hot. As I see many complaining that they are hitting 65-75C at load. So you either need a better cooler or to back off volts to the CPU a bit

NO Overclock makes that VERY Hot for your CPU, I just re-read that again. For sure do a re-seat of your CPU and use less paste.

What cooler is this?

Mid 50's? What do you mean? I see no mention of Mid 50's, but a HOT idle temp for your cores

Comment

Well, I'll start over. :)

FWIW, coolermaster case with 4 fans running. I have room to add two more, but with a stock system... I'm thinking I really shouldn't even need the extra two I added. (But the bottom mount PSU makes me kind of wonder)

Also... bear in mind, whenever I get into the bios, temp runs at 37 to 38c. Constantly.

When I first fired it up (vista business), stock HS, coretemp shows heat ran around 48c at idle. I thot that was kind of high. So added the two extra fans and a freezer pro 7 HS. Virtually no difference. Case open... no difference.

Now, it's varied over the months I've used it. (which is a grand total of about 2 months) Or rather tried to use it.

Right now, it's idleing at an average 55c but constantly fluctuating. Not even close to stable. The temps in coretemp are constantly moving in all four cores. Fluctuating 2 to 5 degrees every second. (I'm assuming coretemp refreshes once a second) From a low of 48 to a high of 62. Back and forth, constantly. And each core has a variance of maybe 5c. No where near uniform. (never was)

(Again, remember whenever I get into the bios, it's a stable 37-38c)

What is odd is the fact that whenever I try to load it the temps actually drop as much as 5c. Now I don't have much in it to really load it, I'm talking about just running a search for a file or whatever which doesn't take more than a minute or two. It's almost like the smart fan doesn't work until it's under load. But the fan is running.

Another oddity is that sometimes when I reboot it, the temps run maybe 10 degrees lower and average 48c. It has hit a low of 38.

Comment

CPU temp and core temps are a whole different beast. And it is the Core temps ONLY that matter, which you will not see in the BIOS

Stock cooler is the issue here for sure, I would save up and get a decent one for sure.

And like I said, have you tried a remount? Maybe you used to much paste last time, or did not get it locked down good.

Orthos will load your CPU if you want to load it up, if you meant you dont have anything to do so.

Again CPU temp does not matter, it is the core temp you need to watch (Under 65-70 LOAD)

Comment

Yeah it's certainly not gods gift to the heat sink. :)

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

But newegg users said it did a decent job. Since I'm not OC'ing it "should" be fine. But I do plan a re-seat. I have a mount ordered to get around the sadistic 755 mount.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

I'll have to pull the board but to me, it's darn near impossible to be sure you got a good seat when you try to do it in the case so I think I'd have to pull it anyway.

Comment

Ya, that stock mount method is terrible for sure!!!

Do users say that it is decent for quads?

Is that your price range or just what you think you can fit in your case? I think a Tunuq would be better, but yeah there is plenty better. I do think that is one I often see mentioned as being used by users. Just never noticed if they had quads or not.

But like you said if you do not plan to overclock you should likely be fine.

Hey, when you did mount the stock one did you clean off the "cement" they put on there and use your own paste? If not, you will need to for sure this time anyway when you remount. Thinner is better!

Ya, Best to pull it out always. I use a bracket as well, the thermalright one with my DD waterblock

Comment

Oh yeah. Some say their stock quads were running as low as 25-27c idle with it. But again, that's stock. No OC. Which is all I'm really looking for. Wasn't really going by price, just what users were reporting. And since I'm not "planning" to OC, sounded good to me since I was running at 50c. Not really critical, but worrisome.

Of course the way this thing gets a little cooler under load... could be the smart fan isn't working right. I keep forgetting to disable it to see what happens. If that's the case, I would assume the mobo has a problem or the HS itself is flaky.

Yeah I used arctic silver and the 2 part cleaner. Just a small strip across as recommended. I'm just hoping it was a bad mount. But the way the oem mount is set up, it's practically impossible to be sure. I mean, when I first saw the mount I said to myself... I can't wait to see me do this! No idea what that sadist was thinking when he designed it.

Hopefully that plate will lock it down solid. And If I ever need a bigger HS, it'll be a simple swap.

Comment

Ya, that does sound good. I never run stock so I dont have a clue what old or new ones even look like tempwise

Yeah that sounds like you did it good. Likely just poor design/mounting components. I think you will have much better luck with the one you are looking at

Comment

Ok, looks like the back plate will be in tomorrow.

But (I said it would bother me!) :) I ordered 4 sticks of XP2-9200 5-5-5-15 2.1V Mushkin. Think you can give me some settings to work with? No hurry since I probably won't have that for about another week.

Comment

Yeap, sure can. Let me know when you get them in and I will post ya some. Where did you find those in stock?

Comment

Right from mushkin.

But seems I still have the problem. Shut it off last nite (Machines usually run 24/7) and just tried to boot... looping again. :/
                              Last edited by garyoa1; 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Ok, put 2 sticks of mushkin from the old machine in and booted right up. (Set specs best I could). But not sure if that's the problem since it was intermittant with the crucial.

Comment

Working...
                                X