X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Hi Salty,

thanks for replying my thread.

I've changed my Motherboard to Asus and I'm now using lower quality RAM with the default settings which is working just fine.

but until now, I'm still don't understand why eventhough I changed to Asus Rampage Formula Motherboard with 4x Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 RAM

my Asus also won't boot up properly ?!?!?!?!

Comment

Thanks Salty for your help....

I would like to try changing those values, but i cant even get the computer to power up properly.

All it does is power up for 4 secs, then switch off again.

I've tried all 4 different sticks of RAM, no combination will get it to power up properly.

Comment

You've probably already tried it, but do you know someone with a similar pc, running ddr2? If so, you could memtest yr ram on theirs, and also, try their ram in your mobo. (Hopefully different brand ram)

CPU
        =
        i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
        Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
        - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
        Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
        , BIOS Version = Award FC
        Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
        Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
        Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
        PSU = Corsair HX850
        OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

Unfortunately i dont know anyone with a similiar pc runnind DDR2.

I'll have to purchase a stick or two of 1gb ram and see how that goes.

Does anyone know which Ram actually works well with the X48-DQ6 ?

Comment

"Does anyone know which Ram actually works well with the X48-DQ6 ?"

The usual line is that a pc has so many variations of components that you cannot guarantee that every combination will be conflict/problem free. I've had Corsair that wouldn't work properly with my mobo, and then Corsair that works fine. This X48 problem comes up a lot with Corsair twinx, but saw a post where a user with adata ram and x48 had same problem.

Mushkin gets recommended elsewhere, but Australia only seems to have value select at Gamedude, and nothing else. You would have to go to ebay or order from overseas to get their top end sticks. Otherwise you could Google "ddr2 ram comparison" or similar to help choose from what's available in Oz.

I don't know why yours wouldn't POST with one stick any more - mine never did that to me, touch wood. Hope you have a win soon.

CPU
            =
            PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

Thanks Salty..... I went to the Gigabyte webpage and checked out reccommended Ram and ordered a Kingston 1G 667 MHz DDR2 KVR667D2N5/1G, hopefully it'll arrive soon and we'll see what happens...fingers crossed.

Comment

it could be powersupply problem
                CPU:Intel I7 920 @ 3.6 Ghz
                M.B:GA-x58A-Ud3R
                DisPlay: GA-GTX 260
                Memory: HyperX 3x4GB
                DiskDrive:W.D 1T, W.D 160G
                P.W: HEC 750 W

Comment

lol... ok i received that stick of Ram.... guess what... nothing, wont even boot up ! so now Ram thats compatible with the Motherboard wont even work. :((

kovaxo.... you mentioned a power supply problem, i have an Antec Quattro 1000w PSU, could you elaborate for me...that would be great.

Its looking like my only other option is to throw this gaigabyte peice of crap into the bin and get a decent Motherboard ! seems like others have found this the only solution to this problem.

Why on earth would a company develop and produce such an unstable unit ??? 4 months has passed now, and still my computer just sits there, i wonder why i am getting so frustrated !

Comment

Since you have a quality PSU, it may only be a problem if it is defective. If possible try a different one to rule out the PSU as a factor in your problem.

The mainboard itself may not be the problem, unless its defective. Remember that there's a huge number of combinations of parts when building a PC and it's simply not possible to check them all so combinations will always not work properly. No matter what motherboard you buy, you can always get unlucky and end up with a combination that jsut won't work.

Also, could you sum up your problem for me, a 10 page is a bit of a long read. I answer so many threads atm that I always have to browse through them again before making posts or I get confused.

Edit: NVM, that last part, just noticed that you aren't the thread starter, reply inc soon.
                    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-13-2009, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

@ Albert

I have that RAM kit myself and it runs fine on my X38 DQ6, which is very similar to your gigabyte X48 (X48 is just a newer revision of X48).
                      The RAM may come in different revisions though, so we may have totally different chips and thus completely different RAM.
                      RAM has always been an issue and that's why compatability lists, as not all combinations are compatible.
                      And since the Asus board doesn't like the Dominators either, I think there never was anything wrong with your board, your problem was probably always just the RAM.

@DBDD

Here's what might cause your problems:

- the new RAM is also incompatible, unlikely, but it's a possibility
                      - your PSU is defective
                      - your video card is defective
                      - your replacement board is defective
                      - CPU might be defective, but that is rare as well

If possible try a different PSU and video card, those are the components that I suspect

Comment

If u have no access to a spare psu u can use multimeter on unused plugs to read your voltages.

To be clear, your fans come on, but no POST?

It makes me grateful that I got mine to work in mere weeks, even tho it seemed eternity at the time.

CPU
                        =
                        PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

Originally posted by Salty View Post
                          If u have no access to a spare psu u can use multimeter on unused plugs to read your voltages.
                          You still can't be sure if it's not the PSU even after checking this. It might be the ripple, i.e. fluctuations in the voltage that may cause this, and you need professional equipment to measure/notice them.

Comment

did you tried to change your powersupply with other one ?
                            your 9800 GTX has 2 x pin 6 right , did you tried to connect them alone( every 6pin connected via different power cable , not both connected by same power cable)

waiting your reply
                            CPU:Intel I7 920 @ 3.6 Ghz
                            M.B:GA-x58A-Ud3R
                            DisPlay: GA-GTX 260
                            Memory: HyperX 3x4GB
                            DiskDrive:W.D 1T, W.D 160G
                            P.W: HEC 750 W

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
                              @ Albert

@DBDD

Here's what might cause your problems:

- the new RAM is also incompatible, unlikely, but it's a possibility
                              - your PSU is defective
                              - your video card is defective
                              - your replacement board is defective
                              - CPU might be defective, but that is rare as well

If possible try a different PSU and video card, those are the components that I suspect

The PSU isnt defective, as when this problem first occurred, i took it to a computer repair shop, they tried a different PSU, and still had the same problem.

I've tried without the video card...still the same.

New Ram....still the same.

I've tried just about every different combination to fix it...and still the same.

But... not only will it not power up to the bios, now it is just showing a flash of power ... thats it, when i switch it on... lol it wont even give me my usual 4 secs of glory... ahhh i remember those days, a little ray of hope... and then snatched away from you !!

Tomorrow, i will be removing the MotherBoard from the computer, taking it back to the shop where i got it from, and demanding either a different brand Motherboard or my money back.

I've had enough... Gigabyte X48-DQ6 Motherboard is a peice of **** !!!!

Why is a company allowed to continually sell such a piece of crap ?? this thread contains over 3500 posts regarding this junk. Why havent they recalled this product ??

Thankyou to those who have tried to help me with this problem, i really appreciate your help. Gigabyte can go jam themselves.

Comment

lol... i'm sure i saw 3500 posts listed somewhere. maybe it means this topic.

maybe i'm just wrong...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X