Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Originally posted by kantona View Post
    Thanks lsdmeasap.
    I am expecting Actic Cooling MX-2 paste in the post any day and I will try what you suggested.
    I hate that I have to take the whole board out to remove the HS but I understand there is no other way to try.
    Although I still think the sensor has gone faulty or temporarily misreading. Even if the HS is slightly detached it is still close to the chip, we are talking about parts of mm. After mounting 40mm fan on it the temp of the HS must have gone really down while the sensor didn't report any change, not even one degree. With a much colder HS very close to the chip I would expect at least some change. Heat is conducted trough air too, especially on very close distance. But maybe my logic is wrong.
    Close or very close is not contact at all, it should be direct contact and tight. Sounds to me like it is not making contact. Push down on it and see if temps then go down

Originally posted by ransx77 View Post
    Brand New Mobo GA-EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1) build. Just finished yesterday, powered it up and it runs for about 10-12 seconds then shuts off, then by itself comes back on again for 5-6 seconds, shuts off, comes back on again for 5-6 seconds and shuts off.....and so-on and so-on. I disconnected all optical and HD. Processeor is an Intel 9550 quad, memory is 8gb of Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR2 with cooling fans, graphics card is an EVGA 9800GTX, power source is an Antec Neopower 650, all in an Antec 1200 case. Cooling fan on CPU delays for 1-2 seconds after mobo powers up.

Later today I am going to try using an old switch to turn on rather than the onboard switch to rule that out. I am going to disconnet the main power plug and realign how it gets to the board. I am going to remove the grahics card and use a smaller card that I know works. All this to rule them out.

I'm leaning towards this being the Mobo, but it could be the power source.

Does this situation sound like any known problems? Any suggestions, insights or thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

Please try your board with one stick of ram in slot one, try more then one stick this way as well incase one stick happens to be DOA. If one stick works then go in your BIOS load optimized defaults then save/apply F10. Then reboot and shut down. Then put in a second stick for dual channel 4GB and go into the BIOS and set your ram voltage, put performance enhance on standard, and set MCH Voltage to 1.2-1.3 and then save and apply and shut down and put in the other sticks

You will need to make some BIOS changes before running 8GB so that may be why you are failing to get it going

Comment

@Lsdmeasap
      Im using 1.5v on ram voltage and CPUz says the cpu volatage is varied from 1.020 volts up to 1.2 volts is there a way i can find the exact in the bios would this fix the issue u think thanks heaps for ur help dude

Comment

CPU-z shows 1.020 volts for what your CPU? It does not show ram voltage, so just wanted to be sure of what you meant there.

CPU Voltage will drop from what you set in the BIOS to what you get in windows at Idle, this is called Vdrop, then it will drop again from Idle to Load this is called Vdroop.

And then you also have to check if you have C1E and EIST Enabled, as these would cause The CPU multi and Voltage to drop as well at Idle.

Did you check for Bent pins in your CPU Socket, or did you get your 4GB/6GB memory issue sorted out?

Comment

@lsdmeasap
          Tried that too. I did two kind of tests.
          First I applied reasonable pressure on only one end of the HS, then on the other, to see if it will 'rock' or move in any way. I couldn't notice any movement at all. Looked very tight as far as I could tell.
          Then I applied pressure on both ends with the same idea, in case it is detached that would reconnect it with the chip and should start conducting heat. I was holding it like that for a while and following the temps with Everest and there was no change at all, 77C steady.
          That is why I am worried that removing the whole board, the HS, and putting it back in will be all for nothing (and hopefully my PC will be working again after). :(
          PS. I am not expert as you can probably tell, but the HS really doesn't look detached to me. That's why I am out of ideas. Besides the PC hasn't been moved at all, what would suddenly detach the HS?
          Last edited by kantona; 03-21-2009, 06:03 AM.
          GA-MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 F6; Athlon x2 4850e 2.5GHz; Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 2GB kit; Seagate 250GB SATA2 16MB

Comment

Hmmm well from your testing it sounds to me like you are right, that is is not detached maybe? Since applying pressure did not affects temps in anyway then it may be on there correct and you just have a faulty sensor?

Does the heatsink get warm if you run memtest86+ or Orthos, you should be able to feel it get warmer after a few minutes

Is this issue present in ALL BIOS's, or have you tried older or newer one at all?

Comment

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
              The BIOS is F3 that came with the board. I read on GB website but most BIOS updates is said to be for CPUID mostly. No issue like mine is mentioned as a fix. Since flashing is dangerous unless necessary I haven't considered it seriously. But not afraid to do it though. There is good guide here.
              I haven't even heard of the programs you mentioned. Should I look for them and run them?
              At least 6-7 times in different days I have been opening my case and touching the HS. I can literary hold it as long as I want. No way it is anywhere close to 77C. But the sensor is not on the HS anyway so I am not sure if I have a problem at all.
              Reading around I stumbled on a forum post (I think it was even my board model) where someone said he think he has faulty sensor too, he never saw his system temp below 89C and during operation it goes up to 127C. He is just ignoring it and it's working. Doesn't the board have thermal protection (not just the CPU) which wouldn't allow it to go to 127C anyway?
              But again, I can not be sure that is my case too.
              Anything to add? Absolutely open to suggestions...
              GA-MA78G-DS3H rev1.0 F6; Athlon x2 4850e 2.5GHz; Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C4 2GB kit; Seagate 250GB SATA2 16MB

Comment

I recently purchased a GA-EP43-UD3L to use in a HTPC, because of the S/PDIF out.

However, I can only get 2.0 out of the coax jack. Can this mobo output 5.1 out of the coax. I would hate to have to get another audio card just for that.

Comment

They add in many other fixes/changes that are not listed in the change logs, so don't think that what you see noted is all that is changed for any BIOS. So you may want to update anyway, it is easy just follow the guide I posted and you should be fine.

I flash mine back and forth a few times a week, sometimes more doing different tests.

The programs I mentioned can be found in the sticky at the top of this section of the forum, here is the link though >>

You should not expect it to be 70C for sure, but the heatsink should be warm to the touch, especially when you run one of those mentioned programs.

Do you know of the link to that post you mention? I just wanted to check if you did. I see tons of reports of issues everyday and I have not seen anymore then your post and another similar (Different board) here with a issue like this so I wanted to see what he was using to look at the temp because some programs will often give faulty readings so I wanted to be sure he was not using one known to do that. You are not, so I do not mean this instance

I am not sure about the thermal protection, if any, present on the board or Chipsets so I am not sure about that

Comment

I didn't bookmark the forum or the post unfortunately. I read so many these past few weeks. But if you google MA78G-DS3H and system temp or temp sensor there is loads of 'complaints'. Some of them are just people getting freaked out by Speedfan for example, which reports for me a third temperature around 92-93C that can freak you out, but once you know the board actually has only two sensors you know that 92C doesn't exist at all. But other posts are people complaining (a lot) about this system temp sensor.
                    I will try the BIOS update although in my very first post I mentioned that even with this F3 BIOS the temp was reported 42C as expected. This problem didn't exist earlier, it just started few months ago (don't know exact date because I was not checking Everest regularly because everything looked fine). No changes are done to the PC or the way it is used. It literary like started overnight.

Comment

I just flashed with F6 using QFlash.
                      It didn't help with the temp, still 77C both in BIOS and Everest.
                      They seem to repaired a problem with the RAM though. After assembling my PC it had cold boot, warm boot, whatever, couldn't restart etc. Read on one forum it's memory issue and until I set EPP Mode to Disabled and mem clock to Manual to 800MHz it didn't work properly with my Corsair 2x1GB 6400C4. In this F6 the EPP Mode is Disabled by Optimized Defaults and it is working with mem clock Auto.
                      However, my temp 'problem' remained.
                      Taken into account our whole discussed and the test I did with pressing the HS, should I bother with removing the HS and applying some MX-2 or not? I have to take my whole board out for that. Is it worth it?

Comment

• <<< System Summary >>>
                        > Power Supply:Corsair 1000W
                        > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme Bios F12
                        > Chipset : X58
                        > Processor : Intel Nehalen i7 965 oc 4.4Ghz
                        > CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): R.L. Danger Den + 6 fan in case Cooler Master Cosmos
                        > Physical Memory :3x2Gb OCZ 1600
                        > Video Card : 2x EVGA Gtx 580
                        > Monitor Type : 2x Samsung T240HD
                        > Operating System : Windows8 Pro and OsX Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by kantona View Post
                            I just flashed with F6 using QFlash.
                            It didn't help with the temp, still 77C both in BIOS and Everest.
                            They seem to repaired a problem with the RAM though. After assembling my PC it had cold boot, warm boot, whatever, couldn't restart etc. Read on one forum it's memory issue and until I set EPP Mode to Disabled and mem clock to Manual to 800MHz it didn't work properly with my Corsair 2x1GB 6400C4. In this F6 the EPP Mode is Disabled by Optimized Defaults and it is working with mem clock Auto.
                            However, my temp 'problem' remained.
                            Taken into account our whole discussed and the test I did with pressing the HS, should I bother with removing the HS and applying some MX-2 or not? I have to take my whole board out for that. Is it worth it?
                            I think it may not matter since you pressing on it had no effect, if you are sure you made sure it had contact. It could just be a broken/faulty sensor? Have you emailed tech support to ask if this is a known issue? If not, I would and see if they have had many reports about it >>>
                            GA Support

Please try the latest Beta BIOS or you will have to wait until F6 is final >>>

You will have to flash with FlashSPI if you want to flash back from F6 Beta's to a older BIOS, so keep that in mind

Sounds like maybe that ram could be the issue? Do you have any other Memory to test with? If not, I would suggest you buy or borrow a stick of 6400 Speed memory and see if that is the issue

And are you sure that PSU is good enough for that GFX Card? Sorry I don't know much about Nvidia these days and that sounds like a larger GFX Card so I thought I better ask

Comment

yo guyz, i having a problem with this motherboard..i cannot increase my mhz even by "1" at a time..im tryin to make my memory OC to 1066 but my board keep on restarting..even on makin' my fsb increase by 1 it also fail..i already updated my mobo bios..btw my specs are

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13
                              Gigabyte EG31M-S2
                              Xtreem Dark 1066 Cl6
                              MSI R4850

Comment

• <<< System Summary >>>
                                > Power Supply:Corsair 1000W
                                > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme Bios F12
                                > Chipset : X58
                                > Processor : Intel Nehalen i7 965 oc 4.4Ghz
                                > CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): R.L. Danger Den + 6 fan in case Cooler Master Cosmos
                                > Physical Memory :3x2Gb OCZ 1600
                                > Video Card : 2x EVGA Gtx 580
                                > Monitor Type : 2x Samsung T240HD
                                > Operating System : Windows8 Pro and OsX Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Comment

Working...
                                X