No announcement yet.

Setting up a business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

give him a break JediAgent, don't you think that last line was a bit harsh?

The best way to learn is to screw up and learn from mistakes... and if he really f*cks up, he'll learn quite a bit ;)

he should try it, and wheter it is a success or not he will learn quite a bit , and that will only help him when he gets older.

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
      give him a break JediAgent, don't you think that last line was a bit harsh?

The best way to learn is to screw up and learn from mistakes... and if he really f*cks up, he'll learn quite a bit ;)

he should try it, and wheter it is a success or not he will learn quite a bit , and that will only help him when he gets older.
      I was going to say something, but I couldn't phrase it in a nice way, so I'm not going to. But I still agree with Jedi.

Maybe I should revert to my old 'Not so nice admin' title..

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
        I was going to say something, but I couldn't phrase it in a nice way, so I'm not going to.
        that's hasn't stoped you before :laugh:

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
          give him a break JediAgent
          How do you suggest i give him a break? Tell him what he wants to hear? Give him advise without subject to his age? Tell him to do what I and friends have done in similiar endeavors?

None of those would be the best advise for him. When posting my two cents, i've decided that the best advise would be no advise at all. I hope you guys don't consider me and beefcake total d*cks. But there is a certain maturity and experience that one needs to consider when giving someone else advise. Amd_man's situation is very similiar to mine at the same age, im only telling him things that i think would have made me a better man.

Comment

I'm only going to say one thing about this.

Setting up your own business is hard work, if your not interested in hard work, then go work for somebody else
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I think he should just stick to what he's got going at the moment until he's had more experience. For someone who's still in school, a computer 'business' on top of that isn't the greatest idea. Odd jobs are good though, because you build up a nice base of 'clients', who will naturally spread the word about you (based on your work). So if you are as good as you think, then you'll reap the rewards.

Jedi said it well. If you didn't want my honest opinion, then why start this thread? I'm usually brutally honest in my posts, so take it or leave it.

Comment

OK, BEEF and JA, what would you say, if you were NOT bringing age into the picture? :?: :confused:

Comment

Hey nice thought but i'm going to have to side with Beffy and JA. I'm 20 and I work as a IT Technican. I want to start my own business aswell however I feel I'm too young to start with it all. I'm doing odd jobs aswell. I've just finished building a computer for a guy but I still have my day job. I've done a lot of research it takes time and money. My Step Dad started a consultancy business 4 years ago. It became hugely successful very quickly but I remember the time before that he was trying to start the company whilist working for a network consultancy group. Before the whole thing went off we had no money and he had no spare time.

Of your doing it has a spare time thing with people that just want stuff repaired then go for it :hammer: :hammer: :)

However if you seriously want this thing to kick off and you want to build custom PC's you'll need a lot of baclground preparation and time. I don't want to be nasty but I think your too young for it to be a proper gig. In the long run it will be more trouble than its worth.

If you start off with a few odd jobs - sticking memory in upgrading software then maybe when you leave school and have built up savings then think aboout doing it properly with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

*looks at Neil2094*

Hey Tweak, can we make this guy an Admin? I like his style. :D

Comment

wtf?:confused:

Comment

Hmm, Beef, how bout me an ADMIN??? J/K But anyway, Im in the process of setting up specs for rigs, and working on a from for ppl to fill out, as well as designing a Spreadsheet for anythingf $$ related

Comment

Originally posted by JediAgent

Final Advise not given:
                          YOUR TOO YOUNG. If you can overcome that, you can overcome the biggest speed bump of your life, the one called, "You can't"
                          BTW< how about I give you some final advice. Age is NOT always everything m8, and dont say that You Cant BS, because. Let me tell you something, I hope i do this, and become successful, and in 15yrsd am a Muilti-Millionaire, and i can come back here, and prove you and Beffy wrong, oh so wrong. Damn that will feel good.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                            Damn that will feel good.
                            I can't argue.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                              BTW< how about I give you some final advice. Age is NOT always everything m8, and dont say that You Cant BS, because. Let me tell you something, I hope i do this, and become successful, and in 15yrsd am a Muilti-Millionaire, and i can come back here, and prove you and Beffy wrong, oh so wrong. Damn that will feel good.
                              Sure, age isn't everything. Plenty of 15-year-olds know a hell of a lot more about computers than many 40-year-olds.

But it works the other way, too. Who are you going to trust more when dealing with an expensive piece of equipment? The 40-year-old with experience or someone whose voice is still breaking? Maybe you do know all your stuff better than your elder local dealers (I doubt it, but maybe). Even if so, you've got to face the reality of the situation - who a consumer is going to choose.

And if you are a multi-millionaire in "15yrsd", then you can come back and laugh at us all.

Comment

Hey Tweak, can we make this guy an Admin? I like his style.

Lol, yeah do that :laugh: :laugh:

In all seriousness AMD_Man there is no doubt in anyones mind that you know your stuff. We're not saying you can't do it and that you'll fail horribly. All we saying is the most likely customer your going to have is a family man/women who has kids. Some of which may even be your age. When I was that age I was seriously bad with money (If I had any ( infact I still am just look at my credit card bill :o )) Their going to think my 13 year old just blew her birthday money on something she doesn't want now am I really going to intrust this kid with my hard earned money?

I'm really trying not to mean here but you have to be cruel to be kind. None of the guys here want to see you screw up if they did they wouldn't bother posting their advice. Unfortuantly in the business world thats how stuff goes down. People that age don't take anyone they consider too young seriously.

I've had people turn round to me and not taken me seriously and I'm a IT Techinican with a MCSE and a CCNA under my belt they've gone to my boss and said is there anyone with more experience. Trust me it sucks when people do that. You don't want people doing that to you. You'll just think why should I bother trying to help people.

I hope i do this, and become successful, and in 15yrsd am a Muilti-Millionaire
                                It would excellent if you did but don't start slagging people off when they're trying to help

Comment

Working...
                                X