Setting up a business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a business

Okay, I know theres a thread a few down from me on this, but I REALLY have absolutely no idea how to do this. Basically, what im Wondering is what type of registration and/or permits should I get , and roughly how much itll cost me to get it up and running. :cheers:

Firstly, you're too young and inexperienced. Secondly, the other thread would have sufficed for this question. Thirdly, you're still too young.

Comment

lol, so what is the age prerequisite? 22 too young??

Comment

He's 13....

Comment

Oh Thx Beef................
          I didnt ask for peoples opinions, I just asked what type of things would be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
            Oh Thx Beef................
            I didnt ask for peoples opinions, I just asked what type of things would be needed.
            He's right Beefy, I started thinking about TweakTown when I was about 14 and eventually got the ball rolling around 15.

Even if he just does something small he has nothing to loose and the experience is very good and will give you more confidence for the future.

Don't let age stop you amd_man! :thumb:
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I agree and disagree. But I won't spoil the party anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                ...But I won't spoil the party anymore...
                Your not spoiling anything. He's too young for a business.

BUT

It may be very lucrative to run a small computer scam in which you dup adults to give you large amounts of money in return for one of those new fangled contraptions called a computer - since only young people know about those.

amd_man2003:
                Get business cards. Vistaprint.com works. Your too young to really get anything moving. Frankly, id be suprised if you got a half dozen customers by the end of the year. But the experience of meeting someone, stricking conversation about your trade, and handing them a business card along with an offer to do business with them. Thats priceless. The simple ability to converse well and network yourself in whatever business you choose (i've choosen pimping) is a great gift. If you make enough money talking to friends parents, and parents friends, and every other combination of those two words, to build yourself a new computer. Than you've done your duty.

Comment

That's basically what I started telling him over ICQ, minus the business card part.

Tweak, starting a website is a lot different to starting a fully functioning business. If a website fails, then you don't lose much. If a business fails, you do. Not that I'm saying it's going to fail, but you really need a bit of experience and knowledge to get one running. When you're young and wanna get into the computer business, then doing odd jobs for family and friends is a good way to start. If you do a good job, word of mouth will spread and you'll rack up a nice little 'client base'. Initially if you don't charge people they'll be happier, so when you do start taking it seriously you can start introducing fees and so on.

But I still don't think you have the experience...

Comment

Think Scam, not business.
                    And People skills, not computer skills.

Lets get him started on the right track to becoming a educationless, soul-less, lying, millionaire con-artist as early as possible.

Comment

We might as well start turning him into a drunk as well.. *looks for a bottle of tequila*

Comment

Wow, you guys are harsh on the kid.
                        I think he needs a little more encouragement than critisim.
                        I talked to him about systems and for 13 yr old, he knows his stuff better than I did at his age.
                        I think we all agree that starting a business with a storefront is a bad idea for him, but thats not what he wants to do. Just start out of the garage, which is fine.
                        I also agree that pretty much his chance to get any business will be word to mouth. But with worms like the last one comming out might just give him a little more of an advantage.

BTW JediAgent: He got 6 cust this week to fix the worm. Which, I think, is a good thing, as he has some kind of networking done.

I think that his age is an issue, and it will hurt his business or cust base. But if I were looking for an aplicant and saw that he was troubleshooting since he was 13, I would more likely hire him over the next guy.

BTW amd_man. I would advise you to try to talk to small business owners, do some work for dirt cheap or free. Reason, they have more networking skills than you, and that would mean other people are networking for you as exchange for your service. Trust me, thats how I got a couple of some nice accounts. Think of a business in your are that uses computers and needs them to be totally reliable. Ex Car Sales or Landscape or Car Repair shop. Most likely they will need someone to do their maintence/repair or know someone else who needs it. :2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                          We might as well start turning him into a drunk as well.. *looks for a bottle of tequila*

^^ :rofl: :laugh: ^^

Comment

When i was 15 i was writing AOL proggies, and trying to get my highschool to host a MUD that me and my friend Tiffany wrote. It was called Legend of Arina. Anyone ever played?

I remember asking my best friends Dad if he had any books to referance C++, and he told me to wait until i got into College. Man, that was a big hit... He diddnt even try to encourage me to program.

So that weekend i went to a computer show with that girl i mentioned earlier, and we stole like ten programming manuals.

Ended up writing "Legend of Arina" with C++ and using VB to create a front end. It was a pretty sweet game until the System Administrator of our highschool found out that afterschool (we were tech staff) we had been hosting the game from the school webserver.

;) Never give up man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                              BTW JediAgent: He got 6 cust this week to fix the worm. Which, I think, is a good thing, as he has some kind of networking done.
                              Its one thing to trust a 13 yr old kid with your computer that suddenly isn't working when you really don't know anyone else to fix it. Its another thing to trust a 13 yr old kid to know the best way to spend your $1000+ on parts that seem complicated enough for other ppl to have to go to school for 4 years to learn about. Think about it rationally from the mind of a 40 yr old with a mortgage and mouths to feed when amd_man comes asking for money as a deposit to build a computer. Im not saying he can't do it, but if he builds 6 systems for non-family members by the end of the year, i would congratulate him. Besides, if he can learn to sell a couple systems now with his age as the main hinderance, imagine what he could do at 20. Like i said, its not the lack of computer experience that im afraid of, its the lack of social-business skills.

Comment

Working...
                              X