No announcement yet.

Speed Switch on Volcano 7+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea i don't know y TT didn't design the 7+ for 80mm fans...it would have even better performance....especially with a 80cmf delta lol
    :cheers:

oh yea btw intel P4 stock coolers use them as well don;t they?

Comment

They didn't use the 80mm fan as it makes it that much harder to clip down / release, try a Volcano 7 and you'll soon find out. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I agree with Wiggo, i'm currentlly running a lump of a Heat-sink known as a "Tornado" and it spraws out making you go at all funny angles to get it on.

Comment

If you have access to a sheet metal shop, it wouldn't be too hard to modify a 80 - 92 adapter.

Comment

yea but from everything i've herd fan adaptors are bad cos the fan blowing into it loses lots of air pressure and teh performance drops...am i wrong?:cheers:

Comment

I doubt very much that many situations would cause airflow to be hampered too much. remember, all fans have 'motor' areas, which blow no air, all an adapter does is re-direct the stream of air, which may limit the cfm of the fan a BIT, but not substantially enough to be a problem. And I passed Engineering Fluid Mechanics! (despite how arcane)

Comment

So if I can fit a 92cm fan on my Volcano 7+, it is likely to be both quieter and more efficient???

System temps 24 degrees & cpu temp 42 degrees (with fan on high).... Installing rounded cables and more fans next week. (currently only two exhaust) so hopefully that will help as well.
                Office Rig : Asrock Extreme 6, 4790k, H100, 4 x 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw 2133's, EVGA GTX580 SC, Samsung XP941 512Gb M.2, Win8.1 Pro 64-bit, NZXT case with an Antec TPQ1000 psu
                WHS : Norco 20-bay case, HX1000, Intel G620/Z68 UD4, 16Gb 1600 ram, Velo 600Gb running Win8.1 Pro, 2 x LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i with 8 x 3Tb Hitachis in Raid6 and a bunch or random drives.

Comment

It would move more air because of the bigger fanblades and also be quieter because the fan can run at a lower rpm to move the same amount of air.:cool:

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman
                    So if I can fit a 92cm fan on my Volcano 7+, it is likely to be both quieter and more efficient???

System temps 24 degrees & cpu temp 42 degrees (with fan on high).... Installing rounded cables and more fans next week. (currently only two exhaust) so hopefully that will help as well.
                    Got any intake fans?

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                      fritzman[/size]]

Go read some reviews on fan adaptors and you'll find that efficientcy drops with then due to airflow obstructions and air pressure buildup within the funnel.
                      Also don't compare P4 temps with that of Athlons as P4's run hotter and that's a fact. Where with Athlons it's good to keep below 50c, P4's are good so long as you keep them below 65c. The temps you'd get with the fan on medium would still be well in the good temp range so don't sweat it. :smokin:

Comment

you'll find that efficiency drops...
                        ...with then due to airflow obstructions and air pressure buildup within the funnel.
                        Consider the writers of those articles Wiggo. The are referring to the absolute maximum overclocking situations possible with air cooling. What they are saying that if you replace a very high RPM 70 mm, with an equal CFM 80mm, that efficiency will drop, slightly. And it will, but only noticeable to those craving another OC increment.

Now for the second part of that quote, of course air pressure builds up, you are compressing the stream of air to match a smaller diameter. And what happens when air pressure increases? It accelerates, (assuming the force (fan) is not overly weak. The acceleration is taken, but the friction involved lowers the fan's total CFM slightly.

Punchline: As long as you select a fan that can hold its own, (3,000 RPM +) you certainly will not see a decrease in heat sink performance. I am not joking about Fluid Mechanics, and don't mistake, air IS a fluid.

Comment

Actually most were talkin' normal specs but the main talkin' point was about flat surfaces within the funnel, which are used for mounting, reflecting the airflow back at itself and hindering the flow. Good if you can get one without those flat surfaces but almost all have them and the efficientcy drops dramatically because of them as the airflow has to fight itself (turbulence) to get thru. I have not seen one review that states other wise and all wind up with higher temps though they do have reduced noise. Plus ya won't convince me otherwise. :smokin:

Comment

The word here is turbulence. And the faster you get your larger fan moving, the greater the turbulence you'll be creating. Just something to think about in your computations.

Oh... and air is a gas. Though there are some fluid qualities in it due to it's chemical composition, it remains gaseous when in it's normal form. ;)
                            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                            My Toys

Comment

For all practical purposes, there are 3 states of matter. They are, Solid, Liquid, and Gas. The word fluid is not a state of matter, it is primarily used as an adjective to describe the properties of matter.

Fluid: adj 1. having particles that easily move and change their relative position and easily yield to pressure: capable of flowing.

Secondary definition of Fluid, when used as a noun:
                              Fluid: n : a substance (as a liquid or a gas) tending to flow or conform to the outline of its container

Those are copied directly out of Webster's 9th New Collegiate dictionary. By all means, look it up for yourself.

--------
                              As for the 'flat spots' wiggo refers to, I have not owned one, so I had assumed that trusted manufacturing techniques were used in their construction. My comments are based on an adapter than simply adapts a larger diameter hole to a smaller one, like a funnel. The idea would be perfectly functional without the alleged 'flat spot' flaw.

Comment

speaking of fan efficiensy....has anyone herd much about the Y.S tech TMD fans? i hope they release an 80mm version that can compete with the delta and hopefully be a bit quieter as well:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                                X