Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

Originally posted by Chike View Post
    Yes, if they want to prticipate and find mersenne prime numbers.
    Your reading should have been finished at 2 as ou should press the "Just Stress Testing" in the first dialog window.
    Right, I see thanks for your help, Chike. I was able to run through some stress testing after I got some bugs out of my setup. I have a screenie of prime 95 coming up shortly.
    I reset IE8 to help with the download problems, and installed getright as well I can download now after having problems again.
    Any ideas why I got an error or does that just happen some times???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM. Reason: add
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

This is too hot for Prime95, you better not overclock it, unless you going to swap coolers with the E8400.

Comment

This is too hot for Prime95, you better not overclock it, unless you going to swap coolers with the E8400.
        Yes, and I may also use some better thermal compound as well. The combo of thermal compound and a better cooler will ensure a cool running rig. I have also heard about "lapping a CPU" with sandpaper, maybe 320grit or similar to allow better heat transfer. I have not researched this topic in depth just yet. keeping in mind to keep any shavings away from the pin side of the CPU.
        I also ran memtest again this morning with no errors for about three hours(using the #5 test)
        I am going to read through the BIOS setting guide so I can at least get some basic settings other than auto. Also, as I said before I will lower the MCH core a bit to test that as well (1.16 to start then raising if needed.)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM. Reason: add info
        BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

lapping the CPU may at most lower about 3c. If this will stand in the way between 3.3GHz and 3.5GHz it may be worth it.
          Lets see if we can get it to 3.1GHz first.

Thermal paste is very important and may result in 2c difference even between a good TM and a better one.
          See what's good and available where you live:
          80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test - A: Excellent Performance
          Thermal Interfaces Roundup: Retail Products. Page 12 - X-bit labs

There is no need to force ">>" in MemSet, if there's difference between channel settings it will open by itself.

Comment

lapping the CPU may at most lower about 3c. If this will stand in the way between 3.3GHz and 3.5GHz it may be worth it.
            Lets see if we can get it to 3.1GHz first.

Thermal paste is very important and may result in 2c difference even between a good TM and a better one.
            See what's good and available where you live:
            80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test - A: Excellent Performance
            Thermal Interfaces Roundup: Retail Products. Page 12 - X-bit labs

There is no need to force ">>" in MemSet, if there's difference between channel settings it will open by itself.
            I ordered some paste now that I got paid :) I did compare and found Artic Cooling paste to be best product offered in my area. Here is a link for the product that I purchased Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound
            It should arrive in about one to two days.
            Max

Comment

Get a high purity alcohol at the pharmacy near you, isopropyl alcohol if available.
              Usually I clean with aceton first then do the final cleaning with alcohol.

Comment

You should get TX-2 next time, it's just as easy to work with like MX-2, but will give you better temps by 2-4C. I use both, and only those two.

I grab 30g tubes of MX-2 on ebay for $24 shipped I think, but sadly no one sells 30g tubes of TX-2 (I even asked them directly)!

Comment

Get a high purity alcohol at the pharmacy near you, isopropyl alcohol if available.
                  Usually I clean with aceton first then do the final cleaning with alcohol.
                  Hi Chike, Sorry for the delay I have been busy with too many things. I am not seeing any difference in my temps immediatly after replacing my cooler. maybe I did something wrong like incomplete cleaning or something. I will try again to clean and apply paste but will look for acetone at the hardware store. Thanks a lot for now..

Comment

Before you take the cooler off again, leave the case open and set a room fan over it and see if temps go down, it my be insufficient airflow inside the case.

Comment

Before you take the cooler off again, leave the case open and set a room fan over it and see if temps go down, it my be insufficient airflow inside the case.
                      OK and while I am at it I am listing new temps for the cooler weather we are having as well as a screenie from this afternoon.
                      I found a new temp sensor that I had in the back room(hoping its more accurate)
                      Current Conditions at 751PM Pacific Time Accuweather reports 49 degrees F outside temp.
                      Maybe hailing outside right now..Rain most of the day too....
                      Indoor Analog guage reports 73 F
                      Indoor Digital guage reports 68.2-70.0 F
                      Core Temps High value is 65-66 C or 149-150.8 F
                      Summing up for now the P95 testing has been running for about 3-4 hours doing work for the online account as this is the only reliable means of testing for me. I can do a torture test with maximum heat and maximum stress but as you know I am running hot. 150 degrees F wow It could be my heating element for these cold days :) I posted the screenies for the same settings as before. Now I am looking for a fan to try your suggestion.......Now, where did that fan get to????
                      RESULTS: There is virtually no change in the temperature with a fan blowing in the case however I did notice a strange thing. Easytune is reporting temps in the range of almost ten degrees C lower than coretemp I am using coretemp Version 1.0 RC3 32Bit. This is strange and may begin to explain what is happening.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-17-2012, 11:51 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Here is the latest PiX with a certain descrepancy in Easytune or is it Coretemp?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Easytune reports CPU temp, core temp reports core temps, they are different values so that is why you see that.

You can see them both at once with AIDA64, you can get that here if you want

You do not have to use prime95 online, if you are being forced to do that you need to reset the settings or download it again and use the new zipped version so the settings are reset and then don't change anything except the test sizes if you need to.

Comment

EasyTune does not report core temperatures, it reports CPU temperature which is read from a different sensor on a different location on the CPU and it may also be calibrated by BIOS.
                            Core temps is read from DTSs (Digital Thermal Sensor) That are located on hot spots on each core (and cache?). They are not very accurate but the best we have.

Does the stock cooler has a copper or aluminum base?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              Easytune reports CPU temp, core temp reports core temps, they are different values so that is why you see that.

You can see them both at once with AIDA64, you can get that here if you want

You do not have to use prime95 online, if you are being forced to do that you need to reset the settings or download it again and use the new zipped version so the settings are reset and then don't change anything except the test sizes if you need to.
                              Ya like right now there is only one selection that will run in P95. This test produces maximum heat, power consumption and some ram tested (In place large FFTs)this program is on my desktop(separate DL) The one that is in the my documents folder is the one that has the online account. It automatically runs online and DLs its work. I simply wanted to be conservative in testing is all. I was told that the CPU cooler is not cooling all that well maybe due to it being a stock intel cooler. What if by chance I got the Core2 duo cooler on the Quad CPU? Would that cause a cooling problem??
                              To chike the whole cooler is aluminum(I know cuz I have a cooler master on my old 8i945P mobo-copper core).

Comment

I asked about the cooler, because I think quads have copper base unlike the duo CPUs that are all aluminum so maybe you are using the E8400 stock cooler instead the original Q8200 stock cooler? I don't know how big is the difference but it might be the issue.

Anyways I think it would be better to use the Mugen for the quad and the stock (quad or duo) for the E8400 as it is only minor overclocked.

Comment

Working...
                                X